Summoner
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
NidPuterGuy
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Summoner

Has anyone played this older game? If so was it any good? It is on sale at EB games.
Post Sun Jan 19, 2003 7:36 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Summoner is a third person, party, round-based combat console RPG which was later ported to PC. If you like typical newer console RPGs like Final Fantasy etc., you'll probably like it. It looks and plays alright, even if story development is somewhat slow.
Post Sun Jan 19, 2003 9:57 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Summoner is a mediocre game. The biggest drawback is that there´s way to much walking. If it´s cheap enough and you like console RPGs it might be worth picking up.
Post Sun Jan 19, 2003 10:22 pm
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

I quite enjoyed the first two thirds of the game, but the last part got repetative. If it's cheap, you'll enjoy a few hours of fun.

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Sun Jan 19, 2003 10:44 pm
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

It has it's flaws, the console heritage is obvious and it's getting older now, but I quite enjoyed it. There is a lot of walking but I quite liked the story. While it's typical "prophesied divine one saves world" stuff there were a couple of story twists that I thought were pretty good.
Post Mon Jan 20, 2003 12:01 am
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

I didnt like Summoner; combat was too slow. When it takes 3 minutes to kill a beasty, i am asleep in 2 minutes, so i never get to see the end of the battle
Post Mon Jan 20, 2003 12:12 am
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

I disliked it, for the most part. The controls and camera oft times made me slighty dizzy and gave me a headache, as most console games gone to pc tend to do. I was impressed by some of the graphx, like the huge cathedral and all that, but was lamenting to stupid controls big time. I dont remember if I couldnt reconfigure them, or if even reconfiguring them was ineffective because of a screwed-up control method or what, but I know I hated the camera. Did I mention I hated the controls? ='.'=
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Mon Jan 20, 2003 12:57 am
NidPuterGuy
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Thanks!

For the price this might be a good diversion! Appreciate the input!
Post Mon Jan 20, 2003 9:55 pm
MadPriest
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I just bought it for $7 but so far it locks up and shutsdown back to desktop at the beginning of the game!

I have an athlon xp 2400
256 mb pc2100 ram
matrox g400 32 mb 3-d card
asus nforce 415-d motherboard
and use Windows XP Professional
I updated all the drivers for xp and 3-d card

anyone know what else I can try??

thanks
Post Tue Jan 21, 2003 12:57 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Did you apply the latest patch? The system I played it on was completely different from yours but the most positive things about Summoner (dt.) were the stability and nonexistence of bugs. It took me many hours to find the first bug.
Post Tue Jan 21, 2003 3:53 am
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Well, for 10-15$ you aint really got nuttin to lose, even if you only play it a few days ='.'=

Best cheapo game I ever got was Battlezone2 for 10$, best 10 spot I ever spent. Played it for months. Sometimes it pays off when the rest of the world really hates a game! You may indeed love Summoner, from what I saw the graphx were nice, maybe if you use a gamepad or something it will help with the controls.
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Tue Jan 21, 2003 8:06 am
Jenny
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Okay, I must put in my two cents.

I'm not a professional gamer by any means but I have played quite a few and LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE Summoner.

I thought the story line was great. I really enjoyed the characters and the way you took them over at different times of the game. I thought there was a nice mix of dungeons and regular out-door stuff and good quests that went from easy to pretty hard and complicated.

I also enjoyed the combat system. I know a lot of people think it was too slow but it was a good pace for me.

I hope you get it up and running.
Post Sat Feb 22, 2003 5:51 pm