Ekim's Gamer View: Interacting with Empti - comment
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > MMORPGs General

Author Thread
Ligi
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Ekim's Gamer View: Interacting with Empti - comment

Who hasnt experienced emptiness on a MMRPG? Only who never played a MMRPG.
Like Ekim said, crafting or PvM gets old very soon but fortunatly there are exceptions.

I Played ATiTD for 3 months and had the pleasure to witness the coal crafting on a very dificult woven, 90% of players freeked out on this because it was too dificult. But the Devs didnt brake and instead of replacing it for a easier method they kept it going and after 1 week all the people were loving it because it was challenging and rewarding.

I played SWG and at the first weeks I found crafting interesting (no comments about PvM) but after, it was old news.

DaoC, hummm, it has a fair PvP but the rest of game doesnt keep up with it.

ATiTD its a very welcome new concept, but too utopic because of human nature, gamers need more competition then doing more flax then the neighbour.

EQ? Sony started to count the dollars and looking over their shoulders too much, although they really got close to it several times.

UO ? sorry I never played it but seems that they never should give up about PvP .

Unfortunatly most of MMRPGs are balanced on the " OMG this is too difficult, I only have 1 hour peer week to play so make it doable in 5 mins".

Statement for the Devs and moral of story: MMRPGS are a breed apart from the mainstream game industry, first you need to pull out a "Tetris" then you can think about copycat and making money.

The problem is that we were near the "Tetris" with UO, EQ, AC, DAoC, AO, E&B (did I type E&B? forget it), SWG.... but the Devs followed the easy way and never actually reached it.

About Horizons and FFXI you ask me? I am going to try it this week but I cant see myself playing a game more then 3 weeks that brings better of the same.

All is not lost though, most people have high hopes on WoW and Darkfall, I confess ... me too

P.S. Sorry about the english, I am from Portugal
Post Sat Dec 13, 2003 1:13 am
Glimmerworm
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I do hope that upcoming and future MMORPG's (And other MMO-games for that matter) will rise over the "OMG this is too difficult, I only have 1 hour peer week to play so make it doable in 5 mins"-level, or at least implement several layers of difficulty in crafts, so that that 5 mins-guy and the person who spends hours on trying to figure something out can both have fun.

And to be honest, personally i feel that player skills should start to weigh in in MMORPG games.
Right now it's mostly me telling a character "Go slay that" and my character skills and some chance decide on the outcome. Same with most crafting systems i know (But then again, i've never played that many MMORPG's).

A system that would allow me as a player to learn to do something (minigames! ) and add a modifier for my character skill (and some modifier for chance) would at least get me immersed in my task more, in the sense that i had to do a lot of more work to do the task as player (instead of just clicking) so the task gives me more gratification as a task. Of course over time this will still become repetitive, depending on your implementation of minigames, for instance, but it should delay that moment quite a bit by giving me the feeling that i'm <i>doing</i> something, instead of just issueing a command and either succeeding or not.

Oh, and my first posting, hi boardies
Post Mon Dec 15, 2003 5:20 am
Kiff
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

Welcome worm. I would love it it my skill as a real person sitting at the keyboard had more measure of deciding the out come of an in game action. I'm not what some people referr to as a "twitchy" gamer, but I'm smooth and quick on the keyboard and in a game like DAoC's PvP, I would like more of an opportunity myselft to kick someone elses' ass. It's a grand idea and I hope someday we'll see in implamented.
Post Mon Dec 15, 2003 1:19 pm
Ligi
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Welcome Glimmer

Yes, I still have to see an interesting combat system implemented on a MMRPG. Maybe Darkfall can pull this out since its going to be very PvP.
Post Mon Dec 15, 2003 4:47 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

quote:
Originally posted by Glimmerworm
Oh, and my first posting, hi boardies

Welcome!

I just want to mention, for the record, that I do not think that making combat (or any other game mechanics) more "twitchy", or making them more dependant on the actual player's dexterity would improve the genre in any way. That would in fact turn mmorpgs into action games, which is quite opposite to what I am trying to argue. I am arguing that interactivity be implemented in games in such a way that it helps the player get immersed into the game world itself.

Making combat more about how the player handles the mouse and the keyboard goes completely against what an rpg should be at its core. You're supposed to play a role, enter the skin of some chracter that you create, which has its own abilities and weaknesses that are often very much unlike your own as a person. You character's attributes are supposed to dictate how he will do in battle, not how fast you can flick a mouse around and click buttons repeatedly.

I realise that in asking for better combat you also need to have something more interactive. And there's a very fine line between interactivity and "twitchiness" as far as combat in an rpg is concerned. I guess that we still have yet to see a developer walk that line in perfect balance so as to not sacrifice the character's artificial attributes.

What I was talking about in my article was more about environmental features rather than combat and interaction between the character and his opponents. I was suggesting that more interaction with the environment would make the immersion factor much stronger than the generic static worlds we are given to play in these days.
Post Mon Dec 15, 2003 9:42 pm
Glimmerworm
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Ehm.. let's see.. ii agree that combat in MMORPG's should not be based on 'twitchiness', i just had to get my dislike of the click&watch combat systems off of my chest, but i do believe that adding player skill (in which manner, and how heavily it will weigh in depends on the implementer, i guess) will make miscellaneous actions and skills gain in immersiveness and make them more attractive to play. Or at the least keep the repetition blues away for a while longer.

And back ontopic to the interactions with a gameworld in general, i get the impression that in most CRPG's/MMORPG's that this type of content is added by hand, so before we go there we'll need game engines that are 'broader'.
In the sense that they have the functionality to facilitate all kinds of nifty interaction that we can come up with (Instead of just defaulting to a few basics such as combat, conversation or item swapping).
And hopefully that will give rise to tools that generate interactive enviroments using that added functionality.

And maybe i'm ranting, dunno
Post Tue Dec 16, 2003 12:30 pm