Usergroups
Why do we like Fallout?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Fallout

Author Thread
Evil Timmy
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Personally, I'd prefer pre-rendered fixed backgrounds ala the Infinity Engine games, with 3d characters, NPCs, and objects, and with the game taking elevation into account (one place where Fallout Tactics really shined). So, for example, the house may be pre-rendered (it's hard to get a real gritty feel with pure 3d, as little details like that hog a lot of power if they're all over the screen, and they're still little details), but the door, window, and smoke coming from the chimney would all be 3d. This means that the smoke could change direction, the window could be broken or opened and have real-time reflections, and the door could open, be kicked down, or even be turned into toothpicks by a grenade. Personally, I feel that's the best way to do it...over-the-shoulder or first-person 3d wouldn't really feel like Fallout and would require sacrificing some details, but 3d elements in the traditional viewpoint could enhance gameplay and visuals without requiring too powerful of a system.
Post Tue Mar 04, 2003 4:03 pm
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

Ah, I thought this thread was dead. Darn, why can't they make Fallout 3? Im sure it would sell... I would like to see Fallout 3 more than I want to see Lionheart. Stupid Black Isle...
Post Thu Mar 06, 2003 3:19 pm
Toaster
Bread Alert
Bread Alert

I wonder how Fallout 3 will be. Over shoulder 3D, or the same as the old games, but better looking, of course.

Tabbrowser Extensions
DictionarySearch
Post Thu Mar 06, 2003 4:00 pm
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

quote:
Originally posted by Toaster
I wonder how Fallout 3 will be. Over shoulder 3D, or the same as the old games, but better looking, of course.

If they will make Fallout 3 that is...
Post Fri Mar 07, 2003 2:03 pm
Cryptor69
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

;)

IMHO the reason why Fallout is so good is GURPS system ! ie: The SPECIAL system that is based on the GURPS roleplaying system. Alot of systems Any true RPG game should give you total freedom, I am yet to find a game that comes even close to that. So..

#1. Complete and utter freedom to do anything you wish.
#2. SPECIAL system based on the excellent GURPS rpg system.
a ) These games have the very best character creation and development system ever created.
#3. HUMOR ! These games actually make you laugh out laud.
Post Tue Jan 13, 2004 2:18 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4