looking for game recommendations
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > MMORPGs General

Author Thread
Punter X
Village Leader
Village Leader

looking for game recommendations

being somewhat of a neophyte regarding MMOs and, to be honest, too bone idle to try out every one of the many games on the market i thought i'd try asking for a few recommendations if nobody minds

as to what i would be looking for in a game:

i'm not really much for pvp although i don't mind if it's in the game for other people to enjoy (i just don't want others taking potshots at me)

somewhat contrary to the whole point of mmos i suppose but i see myself playing solo much of the time and as such would like it to be a viable way to play the game

optimally i would also like more to do than just straight combat as well

oh and finally i don't have a problem with paying for a game either

apologies for being so vague but that's pretty much what i'm looking for off the top of my head

if you got this far, cheers for reading if nothing else
Post Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:15 am
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

I would suggest you check out Guild Wars. This game fits most all the bills you asked for. You can join others if you like, or play solo and not be aware of anyone else. There are a few times you would need help and I have found that temporary alliance to get a gate open is easy to find.

You can pick up henchmen to use as your team, and then set off. It is however mostly combat, but you do have to use stratagies to beat the baddies, find and talk to NPC's to trade for better stuff, but only when you find the exact item they want in the amounts they want.

It is a vast world, great graphics, and some fair storylines. Not heavy in RP, but your character stat choices, and skill choices are critical. Anyway, I have fun with it totally alone, and when I team up with friends. You can have four different characters, so make one for sp and one for team play.

I have rambled enough. Just a suggestion.
Mark Twain
Post Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:36 am
thartanian
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

I would also recommend World of Warcraft. You can basically solo with any class in the game.

However, if you don't mind bad graphics, I would STRONGLY recommend Ultima Online if you have not experienced it yet. You can do so many things besides straight combat. From cooking cakes to making furniture to watering plants each die to playing chess with a friend at your house to well you get the picture. Best and deepest gameplay in an mmorpg IMHO.
Post Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:24 am
VanDine
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I'd suggest you try Legend of mir2 that I wrote about in the thread just above (around here)
the game just sort of fits in between Ultime Online - it doesn't have as much depth - and rest of more modern MMORPGs, it is really one small wondrous gem of a game that few know about or even try but that is to their loss IMO

mir2 has better graphics than UO but has the same 2D isometric view on game world, personally I don't think graphics matter much as long as they are 'pretty' in their own way and fit the game, there is many more graphically sophisticated games out there but their gameplay leaves a lot to be desired

btw, mir2 is has mainly UK players on it with smattering of other nationalites and a bunch of Americans/Canadians (like me)

(there is also mir3 but suffers from 'sequelities' syndrome and is not too good, mir2 is the original and fairly famous MMORPG (in asia, Korea and China) and best, millions play it out there in asia (though there is western english version based in Europe for the rest of us)

vanDine
Post Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:25 am