RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
pormike
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

still new .. resting and healing?

If your hit points go down in combat, is there any shortcut or quick key to
use a healing potion in the inventory? If I try to pause long enough to open
the inventory to get to a potion, I'm dead meat! If I die, do I have to load a saved game or can i come back to life somehow?

Also, is there anywhere to rest in the forest or out an about when a bed is not available? Anyway to restore hit points? Thanks for your help...pormike
Post Fri Aug 05, 2005 4:10 am
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

No shortcuts for healing. Basically, healing in combat is virtually impossible, and the only way to win fights is to stay through that particular fight without healing. This, I believe, is done for balance reasons. You will soon realize that you could defeat any creature in the game already in chapter 3 if you could heal during fights. Some people still heal by running away from the enemy, heal, and then run back to him. His hitpoints will still be whatever it was when you left him. Oh yeah, you do have to reload if you die, so save a lot(and in 2 or 3 different slots).

Also, resting requires a bed. I suggest using herbs or food when you don't have a bed available, as you need most of your potions in the final chapter(I usually save mine up for that point, no real need before that).

What I do is this, I scout an area, and locate the nearest bed. Then I use the bed as a "base" when killing everything in the area(kill killl kill, return to the bed and rest, kill kill kill again).

If you need to know the nearest bed to a specific location(a place to use as a base), just ask.

Also, welcome to RPGdot!
Post Fri Aug 05, 2005 4:29 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

You can activate potion shortcuts in the gothic.ini in combination with the alternative control system. The game isn´t meant to be played that way, though. If an opponent is too strong run away and try it again when you´re stronger.
Sleeping is unnecessary because you find more than enough food. You´ll never run out of it if you´re playing in a reasonable way.
You can explore at night if you adjust the gamma. Default is relatively dark.

Quicksave is pretty useful. Make sure you canot get into any interaction during the save process though, or you will have a broken savegame. That´s why quicksave is only unofficially available.
Post Fri Aug 05, 2005 12:41 pm
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

I usually keep a game at the top called "Current", so I can just select save and click enter enter enter and be back in the game(and when I start a new game, I simply save the current on slot 2, 3 etc, and replace current with the current game).

I didn't even know there was a way to quicksave.. ?
Post Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:05 pm