Usergroups
Game Bugs
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - Troubleshooting

Author Thread
Ragnar
High Emperor
High Emperor

1.Bloodflies are getting stuck in the trees.
2.I am able to walk thru ladders in the old mine.
3.In the old camp, when you get hit up for protection money, if you play out the whole conversation and pay at the end the Guards offer you protection but don’t take the ore.

Sylvio
Post Tue Nov 27, 2001 3:18 pm
Ragnar
High Emperor
High Emperor

While going to sleep, Mud walked in at the same time I chose the sleep option and the options disappeared. When I stood up I was stuck in the bed. The only thing that worked was inventory & weapon. I got out by pulling out my weapon and trying to move. I hit the jump key and popped out of the bed. But the sleep function and the escape key no longer worked…Lost a couple of days (game days) of data. >;(

I got so pissed off at Mud that I hit him a couple of times and want into some kind of attack frenzy. Mud ran away of course, but I kept swinging wildly until I pulled a weapon out and the he came back into control. This berserker bug was in the demo also.

Sylvio
Post Wed Nov 28, 2001 2:20 pm
Sveinung
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Strange... I haven't experienced these bugs, except for the bug with the bloodflies getting stuck in the trees.
Post Wed Nov 28, 2001 7:18 pm
Ragnar
High Emperor
High Emperor

Well I ran into a few bugs that I can not stand in a game…any game. Last night I had one GPF and two Access Violations. I am firing off the error.txt files to PB tonight when I get home. I can tolerate small glitches in a program but crashes really piss me off!!

Sylvio
Post Thu Nov 29, 2001 2:45 pm

i hate it when the game crashes because i'm being chased by minecrawlers (to lead them to some templars) or fighting minecrawlers (because the stupid templars died while trying to protect my fleeing ass)
Post Thu Nov 29, 2001 5:51 pm

Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Change the sound provider. This fixed the Minecrawler problem on my pc.
Post Thu Nov 29, 2001 7:04 pm

it's currently set at EAX ... so i should .. not have it at EAX ..
Post Thu Nov 29, 2001 7:11 pm

Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

I also had it at EAX. Gothic crashed when multiple enemies attacked me, like crawler or wolves, with reference to a file named "mss32...". A file for the Miles Sound System. Strange, isn´t it?
A change of the sound provider and a restart of Gothic fixed it.
Post Thu Nov 29, 2001 7:23 pm

Ragnar.. GPFs and access violations can occur for other reasons too.. (driver/hardware problems) It seems like most people doesn't have these problems (I know I don't) so why are you assuming bugs in the game?
Post Thu Nov 29, 2001 7:33 pm

Ragnar
High Emperor
High Emperor

I build servers for a living and have a good understanding of hardware. I played the Demo for weeks and chapter I for a week had no problem. I have had 1 GPF and 3 AV since I entered chapert II. Every other App & Game run with no problem. The only common factor here is Gothic. The GPF & AVs are memory problems so I am taking home some new Micron DIMMs to make sure that I am not having a drop out problem with on of the RAM chips.

[ This Message was edited by: Ragnar on 2001-11-29 19:09 ]
Post Thu Nov 29, 2001 9:10 pm

*SOME SPOILERS*
)Some reasons for startup problems found
Gothic seems to append to the VDF and other files while the game progresses, I guess it adds stuff per-save.. This has caused me great grief, as it crashed once during a save, and I had to reinstall. It happened a few times more, after that..

)Rid Yourself of Mud
Here's how to get rid of mud; Get alot of strength, get into his house, and corner him, then pull out your fists and beat him till he lies unconcious. Stand near him untill he gets up, he'll call you a lunatic, and you're free!

)Guide to Bullying
You can't kill anyone with your fists, and can only kill people with your swords and axes IF they are unconcious, or on the ground. Bows almost always cause death, so don't use it if you want to keep someone alive while beating them for their worth. Comes in handy when taking peoples stuff, who are important to the game.

)Escaping the 'Dialogue Interrupt' Void
When you get stuck in this odd void (like when mud interrupts your sleep or whatever), the ONLY way to not lose that playtime is to turn on marvin-mode and bring down the console, and put in 'save game 1'. It'll overwrite slot-1's stuff, but not save the picture or the description, but it IS saved. Now ctrl+alt+del and end-task Gothic, restart your computer and load the save in the first slot.
Post Sat Dec 01, 2001 2:02 am

Also, the bug that causes most GPFs is the way it registers it's buffer size. Check the assertion error messages when you get one.
Post Sat Dec 01, 2001 2:09 am

Darksharp
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

So how's Gothic?
It plays like UIX, only less buggy.

Sureeee....

PB how about addressing these with a patch?
Post Sat Dec 01, 2001 2:24 am
Ragnar
High Emperor
High Emperor

I ran into that stupid but that blows up the Esc key function…Again!! Only this time I had been playing the game for about an hour, leveled up, went the chapter 4 and did a shit load of trading. Lost it all…I wish I knew about the console save feature last night.

This time I had transformed into a wolf and was running past that moving mountain when I stopped dead in my tracks. But not the golem…HE turned and ran straight into the mountain. If this had been a Loony Tunes show there would have been a tunnel going right through the mountain. I was able to turn back into myself but was stuck in never-never land.

Sylvio
Post Thu Dec 06, 2001 7:56 pm
Rattledagger
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

For the "stuck-bug":
After saving, doesn't Shift-Escape work so you can atleast exit Gothic normally?
Post Sat Dec 08, 2001 1:50 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next