Interesting RPG, Fable.
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

Interesting RPG, Fable.

Fable... i have to admit this is one interesting RPG title.

"...the ambition of Project Ego (Fable) is to make the greatest role-playing game of all time." --Peter Molyneux. (I know, you probably fed up/bored with those hyperbole or embellishment, but what else you can expect from a developer's mouth?).

----------
The Pros
----------

1) Your character/avatar will grow old or aged during the course of your adventure. (Wow... )

2) You are not the only hero anymore, and there'll be other heroes who will compete with your quest...(nice!)

3) "What your hero is, how he is, what he looks like, the way his hair is cut, how many muscles he's got, and whether he's dexterous or whether he's got more intelligence and can use magic more is all based on how you play the character, not some decision you make."

4) "The mystical world of Albion is immense. Hidden ruins, huge towns, caverns and mountains all exist, and there are hundreds of characters, all growing and interacting, and all with their own artificial intelligence. Even the ones who aren't human. There is the option to ally with many of these characters, to learn what they know, to help or hinder them, to heal them or hack them to pulp."

5) "Combat is probably the most important part of the game... the player is always in control, has a great variety of attacking moves, can quickly and intuitively defend..."

---------
The Cons
---------

- enormous complexity of the character's physical development has forced to limit the sex of the main character to a male. (See, there always will be trade off!).

- No two weapons combat mode, but can use two handed weapons.

- Xbox only! (and no, you have no right to protest, because Microsoft pay for it!) *insert B.Gate smirking face here*

- environments themselves aren’t affected by seasons.

- Pretty much cliche "save the world" storyline - "The basic story revolves around a twelve-year-old boy who returns home to find his father murdered and his mother kidnapped. Faced with unbearable loss he must embark on a mammoth quest to uncover the source of these horrific crimes, and, without realising it at first, ultimately save the world from forces of unthinkable darkness."

- "You won't be able to move around in first person mode in Fable for many good reasons."

- no LAN or online multiplayer.

- The main character will not have a voice (OMG!), but he will grunt when in combat, etc.

- the game will not use anti-aliasing (to avoid performance hit), but the graphics is still very nice looking.

- Limited save points, you are not allow to save anywhere. (Can be good or bad, common trait of a console games).

-----------------------------------------------------
some Usefull links:

http://gameinfowire.com/game.asp?gid=330
http://gamespot.com/gamespot/filters/products/screenindex/0,11104,516688,00.html
http://boards.bigbluebox.com/forumdisplay.php?s=7a1b6319fc4c5d229edf24bae0f1d439&forumid=2
Post Sat Feb 15, 2003 9:00 am
elkston
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
- Xbox only! (and no, you have no right to protest, because Microsoft pay for it!) *insert B.Gate smirking face here*

What? You bait us with all that great stuff and then you drop this bombshell? Unbeleivable!!

On a more serious note , my main objection to getting an Xbox is that the fact that it hooks up to a TV and thus games wont get the video resolution they acheive on monitors. Is this accurate?

I have other minor objections, but their not enough to prevent me from buying it like the first one.
Post Sat Feb 15, 2003 12:47 pm
ArcturusXIV
City Guard
City Guard

You can buy an adaptor to hook consoles up to computer monitors. On a side note, try hooking it up to a big screen TV with surround sound; then turn the lights off and lock your door. It's practically a virtual reality experience.
"Madness is the first step towards unselfishness. Be mad and tell us what is behind the veil of 'sanity'. The purpose of life is to bring us closer to those secrets, and madness is the only means." --Kahlil Gibran
Post Sat Feb 15, 2003 8:01 pm
Kabduhl
City Guard
City Guard

and XBox has some very sweet sound capabilities ...
Post Sun Feb 16, 2003 2:42 am
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

quote:
Originally posted by elkston
...What? You bait us with all that great stuff and then you drop this bombshell? Unbeleivable!!

Heh, i just list out the Pros & Cons, i don't even have a xbox. Most Xbox RPG players are anticipating this title i guess. It supposed to come out at the end of this year.
Post Sun Feb 16, 2003 3:36 am
Namirrha
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

I know I'm going to be unpopular for saying this, but what Peter Molyneux promises are revolutions, and what he usually delivers are just minor advancements. Black & White was made out to be a gaming revolution, but it was only a matter of time before many people noticed Molyneux had concentrated so much on flashy things (AI, graphics) that he left game play lacking. I think he's just building hype so Fable sells well before anyone notices its shortcomings.
Post Mon Feb 17, 2003 6:09 am
Kabduhl
City Guard
City Guard

I never played Black and White cause I heard it sucked rooster. I am awaiting Fable with mild scepticism until I actually play it. I am hoping it is the ultimate RPG that Molyneux wants it to be though.

I'm actually getting pretty excited about Sea Dogs 2 and Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. Both look like they will be exceptionally fun. And different setting than the norm for RPG's ...
Post Mon Feb 17, 2003 10:49 am
Kabduhl
City Guard
City Guard

...on PC I am trying to save to get a new system so I can get Morrowind and the expansions for PC, I am looking forward to Lionheart (don't even need a new system for that) ... and I am salivating over Gothic 2 but I definitely need to get a new PC and Gothic 2 will be my first purchase for sure. Part 1 was too cool and the demo for Gothic 2 is awesome. Pirana Bytes kicks ass ...
Post Mon Feb 17, 2003 10:52 am
Namirrha
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

quote:
Originally posted by Kabduhl
I never played Black and White cause I heard it sucked rooster. I am awaiting Fable with mild scepticism until I actually play it. I am hoping it is the ultimate RPG that Molyneux wants it to be though.

I'm actually getting pretty excited about Sea Dogs 2 and Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. Both look like they will be exceptionally fun. And different setting than the norm for RPG's ...

Thing is every RPG is advertised as the "ultimate RPG" experience.
Post Mon Feb 17, 2003 10:49 pm
CodeXP
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

just to inform everyone, it is NOT being developed by peter, it's being developed by BigBlueBox with peters help.

check out the forums over at www.bigbluebox.com to learn more about this game... Personally, I can't wait! it just looks and sounds sooo awesome!
Post Mon Feb 24, 2003 11:47 am
CodeXP
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Some screens for all of those that havent seen the game before. They're all in-game!

Post Mon Feb 24, 2003 12:07 pm
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

Nice graphics. But the avatar' physical style/image looks like a character from comic books, which isn't really my taste.
Post Tue Feb 25, 2003 3:27 am
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

I don't play console games. Real people play with PC's

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Tue Feb 25, 2003 8:04 am
Kabduhl
City Guard
City Guard

consoles are getting better and better ... i play games on both ... upgrading pc's all the time sucks though ... as consoles get more and more powerful and now that we have some serious western developers making games for consoles we will be seeing really great games on consoles ... the only thing i like better about pc's is that we generally get more complex and involved game on pc (and good rpg's - i hate japanese console rpg's) but this is starting to change ... morrowind, kotor, deus ex 2, fable, sea dogs 2 all will be or are (morrowind) on xbox so i'm stoked to play those new games on a system i already own and don't have to upgrade to play these new aweosme looking games ... upgrading and buying a new pc is expensive -- i just don't have the money right now to get a new pc (shit like food is more important) ... and before people say it costs just as much for an xbox as it does to upgrade a pc the answer is yes and no
-> if you have a mobo that will take a substantially faster proc and already have lots of ram and only need a proc and a vid card yeah you can upgrade pretty cheap
-> however, the system i am using it is better to just replace at this point so i'm going to save to buy a new system
-> in the mean time i'll be playing games on my console and re-playing cool old games on the pc

-> i'm a real person and i play games on both systems so chill with your snobby attitude please, we can have fun and talk about games regardless of our preference of platform ...
Post Tue Feb 25, 2003 8:20 am
CodeXP
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by Remus
Nice graphics. But the avatar' physical style/image looks like a character from comic books, which isn't really my taste.

Don't think you're getting the point of the game. Hmm..let me try to explain: The charachter has no fixed look. He'll change accoring to how you play. If you f.ex. use a lot of heavy objects he'll grow stronger, but it you don't really do much of anything he'll become a skinny one for sure
If you prefer to walk aroun in the sun and keep avay from the sun he'll become pale etc.
If you get wounded and don't get medical aid it'll become a scar. If you want a badass haircut you can do so. If you want a awsome tattoo you can do so also..
So what I'm trying to say is that the person will look like he does according to your playstyle.
Sounds great? Well, I sure think so

..oh, and about the console gaming thing; I play both PC and consoles. I've played PC most of my life as a gamer, but with the arrival of the Xbox I've started to play more and more console games (altough, only on the xbox. Don't really like the japRPG games on PS2 or any console for that matter).
And with the arrival of Morrowind, Star Wars: KOTOR and Fable I think I'm going to continue with it to..
Post Tue Feb 25, 2003 11:20 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next