RPGDot Forums > Gothic - Troubleshooting

Author Thread

i have a
gforce2 mx 400
win xp
soundblaster pci128
amd athlon thunderbird 1ghz
384mb ram
I have all the latest drivers and win xp patches.

when im playing after a while it freezes and then restarts. After when i get back to windows it says that the instability was caused by my gforce 2. ne one know hte cause?
Post Thu Jan 31, 2002 5:52 am

Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

I have two ideas about things that can cause this problem:
- overheating of your system (some system if they are overheated crash and restart their selfs - this one has high probability if it happens only when you play games or 3D programs, rendering etc.)
- problems with stability of power supply or enough power supply (my friend had cracked wire to PC speaker, which caused big voltage instability and overheating).

So - if your mother board support it - you should install some monitoring program, such as MotherBoard Monitor http://mbm.livewiredev.com/ (you can download it free from here)
This one controls temperature and also voltage.

[ This Message was edited by: Danicek on 2002-01-31 01:32 ]
Post Thu Jan 31, 2002 7:31 am

thx think it might be over heating cause i have this big stupid plastic shell over the front and top of my case thx for help
Post Thu Jan 31, 2002 8:20 am

what temperature should my computer run at?
Post Thu Jan 31, 2002 8:32 am

Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

I have Athlon 800 mhz. I think under 60 it should not cause crashes (but ideal is around 50, but it is sometimes difficult to reach this temperatures if you want closed case, quiet fan, etc.).
Suggestion: try open case, open window or use some home_fan so you will prevent overheating. If computer continues crashing, it is not overheating. If it will not crash, it was overheating and you must only find solution.

Good luck

Also use this software monitor or BIOS to look what are temperatures of your PC.

If it is overheating, post it, we will find solution .

[ This Message was edited by: Danicek on 2002-01-31 02:42 ]
Post Thu Jan 31, 2002 8:40 am

my comp runs around 118 degrees celcius i guess thats bad seeing as the alarm settings only go up to 100
Post Thu Jan 31, 2002 8:44 am

hmm im getting kinda hungry wonder if i could cook an egg ?
Post Thu Jan 31, 2002 8:45 am

ffbj
High Emperor
High Emperor

That's way to hot. Go to an overclockers forum and read up on how to keep it cool. Plenty of people have hacked up their cases and installed
fans, among other things to keep it cool. Mbm is also good, mine runs around 30.
Post Thu Feb 07, 2002 3:55 am
ffbj
High Emperor
High Emperor

Here is a link: http://www.hardocp.com/cooling.html
Post Thu Feb 07, 2002 4:19 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

quote:

On 2002-01-31 02:44, Anonymous wrote:
my comp runs around 118 degrees celcius i guess thats bad seeing as the alarm settings only go up to 100

It must be Farenhait????
You CPU can not be so hot... I think. If it is really Celsius, so do not run your comp before you will do something with it, or you will destroy your CPU (and maybe motherboard with it).
Post Thu Feb 07, 2002 7:53 am

That sounds like a driver problem to me. Try updating your video cards drivers. Windows is executing a memory dump due to a driver lock-up(most likely). Open the control panel, click system,click advanced, under system start up and recovery uncheck automatic restart. Now your computer will not restart,if the game locks up, keep trying diferent drivers.
Post Thu Feb 07, 2002 8:44 am

Joey Nipps
Orcan High Command
Orcan High Command

If you want to check overheating as a possibility (I had this problem) easily - simply remove your cover and place a small fan at one side pointing at the unit. This will force air through the computer and cool it well. I keep my case off now all the time (but don't need any fan). If your problem goes away, then you know it IS an overheating issue.

Post Thu Feb 07, 2002 1:09 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

quote:

On 2002-02-07 07:09, Joey Nipps wrote:
If you want to check overheating as a possibility (I had this problem) easily - simply remove your cover and place a small fan at one side pointing at the unit. This will force air through the computer and cool it well. I keep my case off now all the time (but don't need any fan). If your problem goes away, then you know it IS an overheating issue.

Read my second advice...
Post Thu Feb 07, 2002 1:28 pm

I had same problem with GF2 Ultra 64Meg and XP. No drivers solved the problem and the card went belly up after couple of days. I had to buy new one. Try to get original drivers from manufacture of the card, do not use NVidia "Reference" drivers. You have to force XP to accept the old release. BTW, you may try CNet for checking your computer for new releases.
Post Thu Feb 07, 2002 2:50 pm

Kwitzak
Village Leader
Village Leader

Try and use win XP original drivers..They always work best with XP..Solve a lot of problems.

I use them and have NO problems at all.
Post Thu Feb 07, 2002 3:05 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next