Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Geforce 4 major problems. I'm out of ideas, please help.
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
nshmourne
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Geforce 4 major problems. I'm out of ideas, please help.

All,
Here is what is going on. I just got an Asus geforce4 ti4600. First off, here are my system specs:

Abit kt-7
AMD T-bird 800
1280 Megs pc133 ram (I do music stuff. thus the ram ammounts)
Asus GF4 ti4600 (no OC'ing)
SB live (not 5.1 or value)
Windows XP professional (I also tried with Win2k but was also unsucessful).

I load up morrowind with no shadows (doesn't make a difference performance wise anyway) and with the default %50 view distance, and I get literally maybe 5 - 10 fps outside. maybe 30 inside.

This is ONLY happening with morrowind (the whole damn reason i bought the thing). I loaded up Tony hawk 3 and it runs smoother than smooth could be, with everything maxed out, no distance fog. (granted, thps3 is not as intensive, but i had a geforce 2 gts 64 meg before, and it didn't run smooth at all.. it was barely chuggin, and now it is SMOOTH, disgustingly smooth.

Also, I can run Aquanox at 1280x1024 with everything cranked, and it runs smoother than smooth could be. I mean, i am anal graphics / sound guy and this impressed the hell outa me.

So the problem is local to morrowind. I have tried everything i know. I tried 2x vs 4x agp. I changed fast writes on / off. I tried the drivers that came with the asus board, also the latest nvidia (28.32 i believe).

help!

Thanks all

-Josh
Post Wed May 15, 2002 2:30 pm
Caelistis
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Interesting....

Hey nshmourne,

I've got a VisionTek GeForce Ti4600 problems and have no frame rate problems what so ever. I'm running in 1024X768 with NO FSAA on.

What ver of DX are you running and when you installed the new Ti, did you uninstall the old Det drivers and go back to a Standard VGA adapter before doing so?

Again, this is weird cause I don't have any problems with MW with same OSes and I, too, bought a GeForce 4 JUST for this game.
Post Wed May 15, 2002 3:13 pm
Squeetard
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

It is your CPU. MW is very CPU limited. You want more fps ya have to have a cpu that puts out more poly's.
Post Wed May 15, 2002 3:17 pm
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

With some tweaking you should do better, but bear in mind that the bottleneck on yor system isn't the graphics card, but the processor. The processor can't feed the card with data fast enough.
Post Wed May 15, 2002 3:19 pm
nshmourne
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thanks for all the replies. after talking to asus support, i got some ideas to what it may be. i did not load the lates via bus drivers (they make all the diff in the world).

i'm confused as how 800 mhz is not enough to drive a video card that does most of the processing.

thanks!
Post Wed May 15, 2002 7:31 pm
Squeetard
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

It is the processor that feeds the polygons to your card for processing. Your vid card is currently having a fairly easy time of processing the polys sent to it. The game engine needs work for sure.

I have an Athlon 2000+ and GF3 and my cpu is still the bottleneck. Tests I and others have ran prove this.

Last edited by Squeetard on Wed May 15, 2002 7:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Wed May 15, 2002 7:45 pm
Incindium
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

In Morrowind the video card does not do most of the proccessing... The cpu is the bottleneck. How else would you explaing low framerates in town areas even after totally turning the world display off...
Post Wed May 15, 2002 7:45 pm
bman

hardware t&l?

Are you saying that morrowind does not support hardware transformation and lighting?
Post Wed May 15, 2002 11:59 pm

Squeetard
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

T&L is fully supported by DX 8. It is suspected, and I agree, that the graphics engine renders all objects in the scene, whether they are visible or not, taking up a lot of cpu horsepower.
Post Thu May 16, 2002 12:31 am
Midiboy
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I have an Athlon 1800+ and only a GF3ti500. I have no framerate problems whatsoever....seriously.

Check that you have the latest Mobo drivers. (My mobo is a brand new chipset called the nForce...I am getting signed up as a tester for nVidia...so I don't have the Via problems....) nForce is the way to go, peeps!

Anyway, also check that you have the latest of the latest nVidia drivers for your card as well. Also, make sure your HD is defragged. I am also running an ATA133 HD, which could help a little...

I don't know how many FPS I am getting, but I don't care. It is super smooth, even in Balmora.

Check out http://www.midiboy.com for info about Midiboy Music
Post Thu May 16, 2002 12:45 am