Anticlimactic
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 Spoilers

Author Thread
FinnScar
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Anticlimactic

I finished NOTR last night and it’s still on my mind. I was hoping that my thoughts would change but not yet.

I thoroughly enjoyed Gothic II NOTR. It was my first RPG and one of my first games. But the end fell flat. Why was it necessary to recruit the crew of “Companions who would follow you to death.” to paraphrase the Ice Dragon. They stayed on the ship, not that they were needed.

I liked the game and I’m looking forward to Gothic III. I may even search out Gothic but is this the way other RPG’s are, difficult and involved at the beginning and once you learn a few things they are fairly easy?
Post Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:51 pm
imposteraz
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

Finnscar,

Well, a lot depends on your style of play. Personally I agree about the "bosses" in G2 (vanilla and NotR) in that they are too easy. That said, for me the killing of the "bosses" is very much secondary to the actual role-playing experience. All the Gothic worlds (G1, G2 and NotR) immerse you in such a complex and open environment that I never really get tired of them. In fact, I actually regret getting past the action in Khorinis and getting on the boat in replays of G2/NotR.

Also, if you find the "bosses" too easy there are ways to mod the game to make them harder -- or you can try to get there as directly as possible and not max your level/power before facing them.

I do recommend finding a copy of G1 (recently re-released on DVD) as I really like the storyline in it. The boss (and getting to him) are a little harder in G1 than in G2/NotR, too.

Also, have you replayed the game as different guild members? Many quests are completely different and others have a different twist depending on your guild.

"OK, I've got the 'No Die' part."
Post Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:17 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Re: Anticlimactic

quote:
Originally posted by FinnScar
but is this the way other RPG’s are, difficult and involved at the beginning and once you learn a few things they are fairly easy?

Basically yes, but not to this extend. Most (serious) RPGs are relatively hard at the beginning and get easier when you´re stronger. TNotR is very hard, though.
There´s also easier mainstream stuff like KotOR (great game!) and all those Diablo clones.
Post Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:58 pm
FinnScar
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

My first game crashed in chapter 3 so the game I just finished was a second run thru and much easier. I know more of what to do. I followed much the same path however, merc, etc. I may go back and replay in another guild. Later in the game I learned the value of scrolls. That would be fun to explore.

I enjoyed chapters 1 & 2 the best. They involved more interaction with other characters. In later chapters I at least was killing everything in sight to level up and get stronger.

I keep reading that the Gothic games are more difficult. I guess I chose a good one for my first.

Thanks
Post Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:15 pm
Pladio
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

If you don't mind older graphics, then Fallout might be for you. Great RPing, but fights are a bit boring.
I found that Morrowind's a good game, a bit too long for me, but very nice. I'm not sure if I'm exagerating if I say there are thousands of quests.
I don't think the game's very hard, certainly not if you say TNOTR wasn't hard. You might have a lot of fun though.
Like Gorath said, there are lots of Diablo clones, but some of them actually contain RPG elements and not only running around killing stuff, like Baldur's Gate, Planescape : Torment, Neverwinter Nights, Icewind Dale.
Have fun and I also recommend playing Gothic I, I thought the story was much better developped and I had the feeling of really "being" there, involved.
Post Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:20 pm