Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Finally going to play Wiz. 8 Some questions for the experts.
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread
JDR13
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

Trying to go back to the Monastary now. OMG is it hard! People talked about how tough the road to Arnika was, but I'm having a harder time going back to the Monastary. I keep getting swarmed by large groups (6-10) of level 9-10 Crimson Poppies and level 10 Higardi Brigands. My level 8 party is getting creamed!
Post Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:30 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Yup, that's the Arnika Road that I remember. Stick with it. The area is a bit unbalanced. Hang near the sides of the road and back yourself into corners so you don't get surrounded. Put your melee characters up front and everyone else behind them. When monsters can only approach you a few at a time, you'll have a much easier time dealing with them. Use run to strategically place yourself if you find yourself about to be ambushed.
Post Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:52 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Yes, Arnica road, well known as the most unbalanced are in the game.
Post Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:48 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Using terrain is critical to surviving Arnika Road, just as Val says. I call the corners you can back into "funnels". There are 3 funnels south of the road to the monestary and 2 to the north. Make use of your radar and run from funnel to funnel. If you're facing more than 2 critters at a time, you're likely to be hurting.

At this point, if you see any casters (pyromancer/geomancer/etc) walking with the Modais, RUN.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:51 pm
JDR13
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

Update time...

I went back to the Monastary and raided Cerdains tomb. I'm back in Arnika now and I'm ready to move onward. I'm still using Myles and Vi for the time being as they don't seem to be having much impact as far as sharing experience goes. (my party is already level 9). I raided all the safety deposit and storage vaults in the bank (very disappointed).

Couple questions...
It seems you can only remove items from chest, not place items inside right?
If I drop something on the ground, will it stay there forever?

What's up with Callisto? Can I do anything there now? (don't be too spoilerish)

What good is the Charm spell? I've used it on several npc's using the Violin but I don't see any difference.

What's next? Does it matter what direction I go in when I leave Arnika?

Just want to add that this game is great! The only thing I'm kind of disappointed in so far is the npc scripting. For instance, I can walk into any room in someone's house right in front of them and take all their personal items and they don't say a thing. I thought for sure Antone would object to me waltzing into his bedroom right in front of him and raiding his chest but he didn't say anything!
Post Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:06 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

quote:
Originally posted by JDR13
Couple questions...
It seems you can only remove items from chest, not place items inside right?
If I drop something on the ground, will it stay there forever?

What's up with Callisto? Can I do anything there now? (don't be too spoilerish)

What good is the Charm spell? I've used it on several npc's using the Violin but I don't see any difference.

What's next? Does it matter what direction I go in when I leave Arnika?
1) You can add to a chest. You can even put "undrop-able" items into a chest. Put the item on your hand (like you're going to use it). Click on the chest. There you go. Items will not disappear from the chest. I make constant use of the chest in the room at He'li's to stockpile good ammo (in the mid-game it can be tough to keep enough decent sling stones around), hold quest items, and hold items that have been used and no longer matter, and hold keys to the easter egg dungeons.
2) Can't say I've dropped anything in a long, long time. I'd assume it would stay there since the game saves the state of each zone when you leave it.
3) Callisto is an unfinished quest. Nothing to do now, nothing to do ever. Much like the sunken ship in Arnika harbor.
4) Charm will get you slightly better prices. Beyond that, I think it's worthless other than skill practice.
5) Kinda like we mentioned earlier--Umpani, Trang, or Trynnie. I usually do Umpani first, but as an extension of my Ceirdan's loot run. The game designers planned for the player to hit Trynton at level 10 (and Arnika at level 7), but there's nothing to keep you from doing something else. This is one point in the game where you've legitimately got options.
Post Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:31 am
JDR13
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

Thanks dteowner. It doesn't say how to place items in chest in the manual.
That will come in very handy.

Hey, if an npc becomes hostile toward me for whatever reason, will they stay that way for the entire game?

It's a shame about the unfinished quest. It seems like most crpg's ship with at least a few unfinished quest or features. Gothic and Arx Fatalis come to mind. I'm sure Morrowind had some as well.

(My) Top 5 CRPG's (for the record)

1. Gothic 1&2 (nuff said.....)
2. Baldurs Gate 1&2 (Epic, the most complete rpg I've ever played)
3. Morrowind (played for hundreds of hours, never finished it)
4. System Shock 2 (most underated game ever)
5. Arx Fatalis (incredible atmosphere, would have been better if the developers had actually finished it)

Last edited by JDR13 on Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:52 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

I'm a regular fanboy of the game, so I'm happy to do what I can to recruit another convert.

By the way, although you seem to be levelling nicely, Vi and Myles are leeching XP from you. Each dead critter has an XP value. That amount is divided equally among the characters that are alive at the end of the battle. So you're dividing by 8 instead of by 6. 25% loss! Criminal, I tell you! Did I mention I don't like RPCs? This is also why the truly anal will do anything possible to have the whole party alive before any battle is finished--gotta keep the XP of all the characters equal...or so I've heard...from a friend...right then, moving on....
Post Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:26 am
JDR13
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

quote:
Originally posted by dteowner
I'm a regular fanboy of the game, so I'm happy to do what I can to recruit another convert. :wink:

By the way, although you seem to be levelling nicely, Vi and Myles are leeching XP from you. Each dead critter has an XP value. That amount is divided equally among the characters that are alive at the end of the battle. So you're dividing by 8 instead of by 6. 25% loss! Criminal, I tell you! Did I mention I don't like RPCs? This is also why the truly anal will do anything possible to have the whole party alive before any battle is finished--gotta keep the XP of all the characters equal...or so I've heard...from a friend...right then, moving on....

I'm familiar with the XP sharing. Baldurs Gate used the same formula.
Does the size of the random mobs change at all depending on how many people are in your party? I thought maybe I noticed larger groups of monsters after I added Myles and Vi but I guess it was just coincidence.
Post Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:46 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

The autoleveller has a formula based on each zone and the average level of the party. Party size by itself shouldn't affect the random critters of any given map. Party size could make each map a little tougher since your party will be a little lower level. OTOH, the autoleveller formula supposedly generates a "bracket effect" where small groups of levels result in the same monster difficulty table. If a large party happens to cause you to "just miss the next bracket" for a map, I suppose you'd come out ahead.
Post Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:21 am
_gator
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by JDR13
Hey, if an npc becomes hostile toward me for whatever reason, will they stay that way for the entire game?

Most likely. I've seen some instances where if you wait enough time, then they will eventually become friendly again. You can sometimes offer NPC gifts to make them friendly again (unless they are already to the point of attacking you on sight).
Post Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:14 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3