Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Morrowind V.S. Daggerfall - Did we go backwards?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Garrett

Morrowind V.S. Daggerfall - Did we go backwards?

...is the name of a review-like article over at <a href="http://www.silven.com/articles.asp?case=show&id=7" target="_blank">Silven Crossroads</a>, which compares Morrowind to its predecessors:<ul><i>In Daggerfall, every dungeon had a quest tied to it somewhere, and to complete said quest, you would probably spend the next four days of real-time trekking through a vast subterranean labyrinth. You would experience true fear, knowing that you were dependant on your magic and your limited provisions to help you survive the arduous journey to the dungeon’s goal, making the quests far more exciting and dangerous then they first appeared. In Morrowind, however, even the largest dungeons can be completely explored in under five minutes, and the few that stretch beyond that time limit are usually unrelated to the plot and serve as nothing more than time-consuming filler.</i></ul>
Post Sat Feb 15, 2003 1:52 pm
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

A few things I was afraid of in Daggerfall: Falling into the void, having the goal in a dungeon in a part of the dungeon that isn't reachable and not finding the exit again
Post Sat Feb 15, 2003 1:53 pm
SandyG

What's ironic is that what you compliment in Daggerfall is what tired me of the game. Both Daggerfall and Morrowind suffer from balance. In Daggerfall, EVERY dungeon was a complicated and tedious trek. This eventually got me in the "not again" frustration mode. In Morrowind, none is too complicated. Optimally, a good game would have both "take your breath away" elements and "breath-catcher" elements, ups and downs and highs and lows. All of the same emotion gets boring. More of the same eventually becomes bore of the same.
Post Sat Feb 15, 2003 6:14 pm

Davo
City Guard
City Guard

I think one glaring ommission in this article concerns its passing mention of the Morrowind Construction set. The author minimizes the game-enhancing utility of the construction set. I have downloaded hundreds of mods that have added dungeons, buildings, towns, islands, quests, items, weapons, armor, books, artifacts and a host of other enhancements. I cannot possibly imagine playing through every part of the original game and all the mods that I can download for free. I don't know how to make a mod and I don't have the time to create even one. I don't have to. There are enough mods to keep me busy for years, if I wanted to play that long (which I don't). Then there is the Tribunal expansion and the upcoming Bloodmoon expansion.

I also think the author overemphasizes the pleasure derived from playing the same game for years. It may be his opinion that playing the same game for years is fun, but that is not my opinion. I like a long game (Gothic, Morrowind, Baldur's Gate, Final Fantasy) but I don't want to play for years. I want to try new games that offer different experiences.
Post Sat Feb 15, 2003 6:53 pm
albatross
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

The problem with that is " how do you thrill a thirteen year old kid in the year 2003 who thinks he has seen it all and probably has? I mean people are jumping from buildings and opening their parachute at the very last second to get a kick and swimming with great white sharks just for fun. How can a computer game compete with that? I think in many areas we demand too much from game -makers.Total-immersion game-play is still a few years away.Then it will be us exploring those dungeons and being attacked,all from the comfort and privacy of our own homes and without the threat of dying for real. Except those of us with bad hearts of course.
Post Sat Feb 15, 2003 7:03 pm
Jay
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

I don't know, there has been certain games that I play for years. Master of Magic, Heroes of Might and Magic 2, Ultima 7 (still playing), Fallout 1 and 2, and I can see a lot of last years games falling into that category. Arx Fatalis, Divine Divinity, Morrowind, No one lives forever 2, and Baldur's Gate 2 (I know it ain't last year, but I still consider it a recent game)
Post Sat Feb 15, 2003 8:22 pm
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

I don't replay much, mainly because i already too busy with new games. I hope i could be an Elf (immortal) so that i can have enough time to play and replay most of my games .
Post Sun Feb 16, 2003 3:46 am
MadPriest
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Well for one thing in Morrowind, there is barley a variety of clothes to wear at all for some reason!! meanwhile Daggerfall has a insanely great variety of clothes..etc..you can wear!!..Daggerfall and Ultima Online have the best variety yet...one can wear things such as doublets, sash, pants, skullcap, bandana, boots, long boots, sandals, long dress, short dress, bracers, gauntlets...etc...and jewelry like rings, ear rings..etc....
Post Sun Feb 16, 2003 6:25 am

I agree with the review. The loss of the many clothing options, small dungeons, no mounts, small land mass, and esp. the lack of monster types made Morrowind I fun one shot game, and not much more. When I played Daggerfall years ago I imagined what later games would be like. Larger (yes larger) dungeons and land masses-maybe intire worlds! Mounts that would fly like griffons and drakes and dragons (mounts that wouldnt fly like gaint bears and spiders)! Other planes of existence to explore, underwater world below the great oceans. Instead I get a small island (with a rather boring large city of Vivic), no mounts, limited clothing options, what felt like LESS monsters than where in Daggerfall (the cliff racers are close to being a game breaker, I hate them they take away from the world), and dungeons so small I felt closterphopic in them. The few monsters and small dungeons where game breakers, they made the world feel rushed and generic. The quests where interesting the first time I played, but I can imagine going to collect flowers agian with a new character. Fewer envirements/weather effects was sad, too. Combat was boring to, I miss swinging my weapons (they did improve spell effects from daggerfall). Morrowind was an good game, so was Baldurs Gate 1&2, Fallout games, orginal Pools of Radience, and many others. None of them contain more than a few game elements, and none have the replayablity of Daggerfall (except Fallout, wow what a game, ok, take it out of the list above). As far as mods go, I do not want to spend my limited game time searching for things off the web, and I dont like it used as an excuse to make limited games, esp. one that cost over $50. I hope that Morrowind will be used as a base for a newer game that includes the elements I want, or alteast a few more of them. After playing Morrowind I replayed Ultima Underworld, and though it was a better game, better than Daggerfall. Sad that it has nor realy been improved on.
(Arx, some would say is an improved Underworld, but after playing a week, my save games where destoryed due to a bug. After that I never started it up again, looked nice, had some good elements, but I didnt want run throught the goblin caves for 100th time just because the game had some problems.)
Post Sun Feb 16, 2003 5:57 pm

Lord_Brownie
High Emperor
High Emperor

Sorry, the above guest post (yes, the long one ) was mine, I registored earlier today but forgot to log in.
Post Sun Feb 16, 2003 5:59 pm
MadPriest
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous
I agree with the review. The loss of the many clothing options, small dungeons, no mounts, small land mass, and esp. the lack of monster types made Morrowind I fun one shot game, and not much more. When I played Daggerfall years ago I imagined what later games would be like. Larger (yes larger) dungeons and land masses-maybe intire worlds! Mounts that would fly like griffons and drakes and dragons (mounts that wouldnt fly like gaint bears and spiders)! Other planes of existence to explore, underwater world below the great oceans. Instead I get a small island (with a rather boring large city of Vivic), no mounts, limited clothing options, what felt like LESS monsters than where in Daggerfall (the cliff racers are close to being a game breaker, I hate them they take away from the world), and dungeons so small I felt closterphopic in them. The few monsters and small dungeons where game breakers, they made the world feel rushed and generic. The quests where interesting the first time I played, but I can imagine going to collect flowers agian with a new character. Fewer envirements/weather effects was sad, too. Combat was boring to, I miss swinging my weapons (they did improve spell effects from daggerfall). Morrowind was an good game, so was Baldurs Gate 1&2, Fallout games, orginal Pools of Radience, and many others. None of them contain more than a few game elements, and none have the replayablity of Daggerfall (except Fallout, wow what a game, ok, take it out of the list above). As far as mods go, I do not want to spend my limited game time searching for things off the web, and I dont like it used as an excuse to make limited games, esp. one that cost over $50. I hope that Morrowind will be used as a base for a newer game that includes the elements I want, or alteast a few more of them. After playing Morrowind I replayed Ultima Underworld, and though it was a better game, better than Daggerfall. Sad that it has nor realy been improved on.
(Arx, some would say is an improved Underworld, but after playing a week, my save games where destoryed due to a bug. After that I never started it up again, looked nice, had some good elements, but I didnt want run throught the goblin caves for 100th time just because the game had some problems.)

Good call!! damn good call indeed!!! you have some awesome ideas and excellent points, perhaps this post should be put on the official Morrowind Forum as well sire
Post Mon Feb 17, 2003 12:01 am