Planescape: How to play as a mage?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Dungeons and Dragons General

Author Thread
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

Planescape: How to play as a mage?

I restarted the game, Im interested to play as a mage.

How should I create the character? What should I spend my points on?

How do I learn to use the "art of magic" and whice faction should I join?
Post Thu Aug 22, 2002 10:31 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Intelligence is very important for a mage. Dak'kon can teach you. I don't think your faction will effect your abilities as a mage.
Post Fri Aug 23, 2002 4:27 am
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

Okay, but how should i spend the points? Becouse it seems to be "very" important to do it right. Is there any guid at a site or so?
Post Fri Aug 23, 2002 5:27 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

If it were me?
Starting stats
STR 9
DEX 11
CON 9
INT 15
WIS 18
CHA 13

Wisdom rules in this game. The higher your wisdom the greater amount of xp you'll get. At WIS 18 you'll get a 15% bonus to xp. That definately adds up. Plus you have tons of opportunites to raise other stats both in game and when you level.
Post Fri Aug 23, 2002 8:56 pm
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

Hmm, Dak'kon can only train me in the "Art", he cannot learn me. Where do I find a mage teacher?
Post Sat Aug 24, 2002 4:10 pm
Beo
Space Defender
Space Defender

quote:
Originally posted by Rawis
Hmm, Dak'kon can only train me in the "Art", he cannot learn me. Where do I find a mage teacher?

In the beginning, Mebbeth (the old lady) is the mage teacher. She also gives you free heal. Later in the game, you can upgrade Dak'kon as you level; then he becomes your fighter/mage teacher (Dak'kon's Art = magic).
Post Sat Aug 24, 2002 4:39 pm
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

Where is Mebbeth then?
Post Sat Aug 24, 2002 4:57 pm
Roach
SBR Belfry Bat
SBR Belfry Bat

quote:
Originally posted by Val
Wisdom rules in this game. The higher your wisdom the greater amount of xp you'll get. At WIS 18 you'll get a 15% bonus to xp. That definately adds up. Plus you have tons of opportunites to raise other stats both in game and when you level.

Plus if you have 21 Wis (including tats and/or items) right before the end you can absorb The Neutral Guy. (Doesn't count as a spoiler if someone that hasn't gotten there can't possibly understand)
Hmm, maybe I should replay the game, I never played as a mage, so I never had high enough Int to find out the Character's name. DON’T TELL ME! But do tell me how high your Int has to be to find out!
Post Sat Aug 24, 2002 5:30 pm
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

Hmm, i find her, ran alot of strange errands and now im a mage. But im very weak, even at level 4, do i still have my fighter skills (level 4)?
Post Sat Aug 24, 2002 7:16 pm
Beo
Space Defender
Space Defender

If you have low strength (low chance of getting critical hit) and low con (low HP), you will be a very weak fighter; fortunately this game rewards experience the most by answering the right questions (high wisdom -> more answers) while doing guests. If you need to fight, try to initiate it with Morte and use Dak'kon as your tank. Drink a lot of potions and rest when necessary. There are some tatoos that can boost your attributes.

If you want to get extra experience other than quests, fight abishai (looks like a lizard) in the early stage of game. Taunt and attack it with Morte, send in Dak'kon and the Nameless one to mop up the fight.
Post Sat Aug 24, 2002 8:32 pm
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

I just realized i don't want to play as a mage. The Nameless One is much cooler weaving a big axe! Muhahahah!
Post Sat Aug 24, 2002 11:51 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Well, I played him as a mage, his wisdom wasn't his best stat (but he excelled in int) and he managed to talk his way out of every situation. Which was fine with me. Then I stumbled across the grisly d. exploit (won't name it here ) and thus ended the game as a level 42 mage.
Post Sun Aug 25, 2002 12:29 pm
Roach
SBR Belfry Bat
SBR Belfry Bat

Level 42? That must have been fun casting spells. That was one of the greet things about Torment that I'm shocked we don't see more often; the spell effects. And I only played it as a warrior, so I don't think I ever saw any spells about level 6, but the effects I saw were by far the best I've ever seen in a game. My first time though I almost wet myself when I first saw that 'ax of torment' spell, and that was a weak spell. And that 'desert heat'(? desert something) was incredible.
And other of those little things was the journal, I loved seeing all the pictures of the people and creatures I came across in such detail; those pictures were works of art.
I did some stat building at the end, but I did it legit so I never got higher than 22. Right before the end I'd run around killing... *looks at his avatar*... myself as they respawned, getting 10,000 exp. each time. It was a good way to get my wisdom up so I could absorb 'Mr. I'm a better incarnation of You.' I really hated that guy!
Post Sun Aug 25, 2002 1:10 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Well, I had just one level 9 spell I think, and the effect wasn't good at all. Something with angels and trumpets and stuff. Not good at all compared to Final Fantasy's (VII, VIII) spell effects.
Post Sun Aug 25, 2002 2:49 pm
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

You can't continue to play when you finished the game can you?
Post Sun Aug 25, 2002 11:22 pm