Usergroups
Please Answer
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
The Hulk
Avenger, Defender
Avenger, Defender

Dual processors have good uses besides being used for servers. If you are an artist into 3d graphics programs like 3-d studio max, dual processors really help speed things up(if you're using an OS like winxp pro that supports dual processors). Also encoding mpegs(with the right encoding program) is much faster on dual processor systems. And if you multi-task alot, dual processors help there as well.
As for games, I admit there are not alot of games out there right now that support dual processors(the only ones that come to mind right now are Falcon 4.0 and Quake 3(and games based on the Quake 3 engine). And Quake 3 does not have the best dual processor support unfortunately, they need to go back an implement it better. However, we see more and more companies starting to add dual processors support to their games(such as with Morrowind and Star Wars Galaxies and some others on the horizon I may not know about yet).
P4 based dual processor systems(Xeons) are too expensive, but amd based dual processor systems are pretty affordable. At least in my case, I feel it is worth the extra cost to have dual processors(under Winxp professional) so that I can really enjoy games like Morrowind to their fullest(highest resolution, 32bit color, 4X fsaa, all detail options maxed out).

[ This Message was edited by: The Hulk on 2002-02-22 12:22 ]
Post Thu Feb 21, 2002 6:02 pm
Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

Goddamnit!!!!
Now I gotta go get one too
where's a good place to start shopping?
must...have..the...best...ugh
Post Fri Feb 22, 2002 5:48 pm
The Hulk
Avenger, Defender
Avenger, Defender

Well, if you know enough to build your own system from scratch(or upgrade an existing system motherboard and all), a good place to buy computer components(in the U.S.)is a place called http://www.newegg.com Or if you are not quite that knowledgeable, you can get a custom built system(which would end up being more expensive than if you built your own from scratch but would have potentially alot less headaches involved)from http://www.gamepc.com
Hope this helps.
Post Fri Feb 22, 2002 6:18 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2