Rubies of Eventide to shut down
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Moriendor
Black Ring Leader
Black Ring Leader

Rubies of Eventide to shut down

The RPG Vault <a href="http://rpgvault.ign.com/articles/442/442165p1.html" target="_blank">reports</a> that Cyber Warrior has decided to shut down its online RPG 'Rubies of Eventide' by the end of December. Check <a href="http://www.rubiesofeventide.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=38315&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1" target="_blank">this message</a> at the official forums for more...
Post Wed Nov 26, 2003 1:42 am

This little newsbit is tucked away amongst the multitude of pre-conceptual preview first-impression screenshots from developer diaries of yet-to-be-announced un-official games in-development at yet-to-be named companies made up of former Bio-Blizzard-Ion-Id employees still seeking a publisher newsbits.

Yet, it is monumental news for the game industry.
Post Wed Nov 26, 2003 1:49 am

Ether

"Yet, it is monumental news for the game industry."

No, it is not. Everquest closing down would be monumental news for the game industry.

RoE was a poorly implemented, overpriced, failure from the get-go... I'm not trying to throw sticks and stones, but this is the truth of the matter.

Peace
Post Wed Nov 26, 2003 2:13 am

Ether

"Yet, it is monumental news for the game industry."

No, it is not. Everquest closing down would be monumental news for the game industry.

RoE was a poorly implemented, overpriced, failure from the get-go... I'm not trying to throw sticks and stones, but this is the truth of the matter.

Peace
Post Wed Nov 26, 2003 2:13 am

chrisbeddeos

1 to go many more to follow.

While this is unfortunate news it is inevitable.
Post Wed Nov 26, 2003 2:42 am

Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

The significance i can see here is that this may be the beginning of the fall of most low-budget MMO attempts. Like the guy said, the market is becoming saturated and increasingly competitive, and even medium-sized projects are in danger. It all comes to game design. A few small company MMOs will survive, and probably will be unexpected successes (Darkfall or even Trials of Ascension) because they are establishing a specific niche in the market, instead of doing what Rubies did by trying to compete with the huge projects (EQ2, SWG, UXO, Dragon Empires) having barebones funding. The team has got to be at the top of their game regarding all issues, especially game design and programmers that are extremely talented at tracking and eliminating errors in the code. I feel bad to say it, but many of the under-funded games are either not going to make it or will be just skimming the surface, barely staying afloat, while the big projects get the vast of the majority of subscribers. I really feel sorry for that guy. The computer games market is brutal.
Post Wed Nov 26, 2003 3:21 am
Sumner

He mentions Horizons, and says specifically "cannot afford the type of hype and advertising", I felt this was important, the big companies are dominating the market not because they have better products than these smaller companies, no, not for a second, but through pure b.s hype. I saw unplayable Anarchy online launch to large numbers of fools that bought the thing on pure advertiseing, not even waiting to see any -objective- reviews. And Horizons, well, been in that beta (and followed hard the opinions of other testers in the forums, not just my opinion, but that of many who've been in alot of these games and have the perspective to judge), people are in for a surprise if they think theres anything new there, it's as generic as can be. Very bad situation we have with a handful of big companies dominating things, where do you see the inovations coming from? The small/new companies pretty much, not the established giants (in the case of Origin remember they killed the original UO2 specifically to appease the frightened money-men who were just plain terified of change). I love these games have been in them since the original Meridian59, people have to stop buying the junk, hold out for things worth paying for, no more paying for unfinished unworthy games. Wait till it's been out and you read a few real objective reviews. Not the big sites, big magazines that are afraid to tell the truth about a big company game because that company will cut them out of the "sneak peaks", and "exclusive" screen shots/in game movies/demos.
Post Wed Nov 26, 2003 5:06 am

Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

Pretty much. I havent boughten an MMO for a full year now. I knew SWG sucked while in beta. I think the last game i bought was DAOC -- a whole year ago. In any event, some small companies are going to do really well, while others are undoubtedly going to cancel. Consider DAOC, that was a small company that has done pretty well, although i think it lacks some things.

Anyway, consider that it is a good thing that players buy those games. The reason investors provide the money is for the possibility of great success. There will certainly be failures. But we cant make the genre better by not buying anything. Also the genre will evolve satisfactorily enough if a lot of people continue to buy new releases. Its a healthy thing.

But like i said, my personal spending habits are so selective that i havent been buying up anything yet. Im waiting for a few key games that provide the niche that i enjoy.

Peace.
Post Wed Nov 26, 2003 6:09 am