Is Arx Fatalis for me?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Arx Fatalis

Author Thread
Max Killen
Exalted Potentate
Exalted Potentate

Is Arx Fatalis for me?

I'm playing the demo of Arx Fatalis now. But, I'm thinking, is this game for me. I liked Ultima Underworld, but I DO NOT like difficult puzzle games. The demo is pretty good in the way it gives hints, for example, the elevator is broken and needs some rope to fix it. Clicking on the broken elevator mechanism reveals this. Does this happen in the real game or are you in the dark for the reason it doesn't work?
I'm playing Divine Divinity now, but it's getting a little buggy on my machine and I'm looking for something to play. Still haven't played Icewind Dale II, Neverwinter Nights or Dungeon Seige yet, even though they are loaded on my computer.
If you had your chose, would you buy Arx Fatalis again or play one of the three other games I mentioned?
Post Sun Dec 15, 2002 2:02 pm
Detori
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I suppose the answer really depends on what game you want.

Unfortunately I have never played Ultima Underworld, but nearly all reviews highlight the fact that Arx is as close to the classic as possible.

Divine Divinity is slighty more of an action/RPG in the realm of the Diablo series. Neverwinter Nights and Dungeon Siege are breathtaking to look at and fast-paced enough to keep you going until you actually complete them (this is what happened to me, anyway )...
...but Arx Fatalis is an entirely different game. Given the first person view it is a more personal experience and you are drawn much more into the underground world. Yes, it is indeed linear and since there are no great open areas, there is a limited choice of where you can go, but during your journey you will visit several kingdoms, cultures and hidden portals. The variety of the places and races is truly amazing despite the "limited" space.
Puzzles can sometimes be a little hard, but they can all be solved in more than one way (thanks to some great AI and a unique object manipulation system) so you may find yourself pondering on a few issues for some time, but that is what forums are for, right?

So all in all, I suggest you to buy it if you like the demo, but if you don't steer clear and miss a great adventure!
Post Mon Dec 16, 2002 11:28 am
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

That's a pretty good answer, so I'll just agree with it.

Arx sometimes allows you to stray off course if you don't follow the hints but the main story is totally linear. Even though this sounds restrictive the excellent atmosphere really makes up for it. The puzzles aren't that bad but they're not just cakewalks.
Post Mon Dec 16, 2002 2:15 pm
Kayla
High Emperor
High Emperor

I'm really enjoying it so far... but I do get lost occaisionally.

Although I did spend half a day trying to kill one stupid spider that is beyond my capabilities, so I've just avoiding him for now and will go back when I am better (both at playing and higher stats).

Robert A. Heinlein
Post Mon Dec 16, 2002 2:27 pm
Erb Duchenne
Slayer
Slayer

The beginner clues only happen at the start. After you escape the Goblin prisons you're very much on your own.

It wasn't as good as I expected, but I had very high expectations, especially since it's been described to be like the Underworld series, which I loved.

It's very much like Gothic the game, linear story, 1st person etc. although I'd say Gothic was better. I think underground tunneling has lost its appeal since computers got powerful enough to handle rich environments of hills and trees and ever moody skies.

My pick would be Arx over the others you mentioned. But hey... I tend to go for 1st person games.
Post Mon Dec 16, 2002 4:38 pm
Merz
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

First of all, I'd like to warn that my bias towards this game is not very high, even though I enjoyed playing AF.

If you, like me, like to brush the game with a fine comb (doing as many quests as possible, pickpock everyone, lockpick everything, ect..), you might get frustated because of not being able to satisfy your curiousity. The root of this lies in rather scare number of XP points AF makes available to a player, and a rather high skill requirements for doing those "things".

It seems that it is best to concentrate on few skills and devise well your character from the very beginning.
Post Wed Dec 18, 2002 3:12 pm