Call of Cthulhu?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Guybrush Threepwood
High Emperor
High Emperor

Call of Cthulhu?

Whats it all about? All I know is that Cthulhu is a assyrian squid-like god with weird sexual connotations. And that your char goes insane.....so other than that....whats it about?
Post Fri Jun 28, 2002 1:19 am
TheLonePaladin
Mighty Warrior
Mighty Warrior

well judging by what you said:

a crazy person who gets called by an assyrian god-squid...i'd go deeper into what happens, but i might get censered...

j/k
"Though the gates that stand between the mortal world and the immortal Realm of Chaos are now closed to me, still I would rather die having glimpsed eternity than never to have stirred the cold furrow of mortal life.
I embrace death without regret as I embraced life without fear."
Post Fri Jun 28, 2002 5:38 am
Hexy
High Emperor
High Emperor

The story will be about your char investigating a dissaperance of a person in some fishing village, and of course realize that dark forces and gods are involved, á la H.P. Lovecraft style.
Post Fri Jun 28, 2002 9:04 am
Guybrush Threepwood
High Emperor
High Emperor

There was an old Call of Cthulhu pc game if I recall correctly. Don't know if its floating about anywhere nowadays. This is where I first heard about the game....reading an ad in some comic book. But that was years ago....years and years ago. Anyhoo thanks for the responses.
Post Fri Jun 28, 2002 12:09 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

quote:
Originally posted by Guybrush Threepwood
Whats it all about? All I know is that Cthulhu is a assyrian squid-like god with weird sexual connotations. And that your char goes insane.....so other than that....whats it about?

Cthulhu (sp?) may or may not be Assyrian, but HP Lovecraft immortalized him and a few other dark gods in a bunch of stories. Theses gods were *really* bad news (except Yog of course ).

I would ask our member Yog Sothoth for more info, as his name is one of those outer dieties (and his avatar looks it too!) - and he is a Lovecraft fan.
Post Fri Jun 28, 2002 5:36 pm
Yog Sothoth
The All in One
The All in One

First: All this info are taken directly from the story of H.P.Lovecraft (see my homepage for some readings about this autor or lookhere to read some of his stories)

Second: Cthulhu is NOT a "outer deity" but only a "great ancient one" (*I*, Yog Sothoth, am an outer deity! )

Third:
Cthulhu:
He lives in the black dead city of R'lyeh, submersed in the deep Pacific ocean. He stays in a sort of non-life non-death when he is in this place, but one day he will rise again, beeing free do destroy everything and everyone. In that city there are sleeping other members of the race of Cthulhu, but he is their great priest and more powerful member. Cthulhu came from the stars and begun the building of the city of R'lyeh with the purpose of rule the world. When the stars changed their signs and the continent fell deep in the ocean they were forced to eternally sleep until someone of their cult would call them and raise them. When R'lyeh will rise form the ocean the follower of the cult of Cthulhu should go there and open the huge double-door made of stone behind which Cthulhu sleeps
And then he will destroy all the world!

=Ex-Baron of the RPGDot Shadows=
Post Fri Jun 28, 2002 8:00 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

@Yog - Sorry about putting C in your class! I will never do it again!!

So how does Nyarlathotep figure in all this ... I kind of recall he is a gate of some kind. Is he a god or a great old one? Please remember I read all this stuff 24+ years ago!!

Last question - Aside from your exhalted self, who is the greatest of the Lovecraft gods?

PS - I don't think C would be nice to his cultists, they would probably be meal #1
PPS - Very nice C pic.
Post Fri Jun 28, 2002 8:23 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Ah... Call of Cthulu. I must admit, I only played 'Bubba' in one session... he was a huge trucker from New Orleans with a shotgun, beer gut, and a louisville slugger. He believed in the occult just enough to say 'I don' t'ink we want to go in there, cherie...'

Well, at least Bubba was the last one standing that session. Damn zombies. 8 shots from the shotgun, several swings from the bat, and one last shotgun round for his own head so the zombies wouldn't get his brains...

It's not a nice game.

I did play Crawl of Cachooie though... the Toon version. I played Max (the rabbit) of the Freelance police (my friend played Sam). It was much more entertaining.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Fri Jun 28, 2002 11:01 pm
Guybrush Threepwood
High Emperor
High Emperor

Quest for Glory kinda copied the Cthulhu theme with all those squid like critters and such.
Post Sat Jun 29, 2002 10:23 am
Yog Sothoth
The All in One
The All in One

quote:
Originally posted by Lintra
@Yog - Sorry about putting C in your class! I will never do it again!!

hehe very well!

quote:
So how does Nyarlathotep figure in all this ... I kind of recall he is a gate of some kind. Is he a god or a great old one? Please remember I read all this stuff 24+ years ago!!

Nyarlathotep is the messanger of the supreme deity, Azathoth! He walks on the Earth speaking the words of him!

quote:
Last question - Aside from your exhalted self, who is the greatest of the Lovecraft gods?

As i said: Azathoth, ruler of the Universe where he stand still in the centre with all his minions dancing around him in a crazy way

quote:
PS - I don't think C would be nice to his cultists, they would probably be meal #1
PPS - Very nice C pic.

meat... good meat...
Post Sat Jun 29, 2002 12:18 pm
TheLonePaladin
Mighty Warrior
Mighty Warrior

cthulu looks like a giant mind flayer. does the "real" Yog Sothoth look like a beholder?

Ohhhh...who knows his D&D critters? i knows his D&D critters!

in any event, i thought the Alone in the Dark series was awwwwwesome! (also based on Lovecraft) but i didn't play "a new nightmare" (the 3d rendered one.)

alone in the dark 1 gave me nightmares for a time tho...specially since i was so young when it came out...
"Though the gates that stand between the mortal world and the immortal Realm of Chaos are now closed to me, still I would rather die having glimpsed eternity than never to have stirred the cold furrow of mortal life.
I embrace death without regret as I embraced life without fear."
Post Mon Jul 01, 2002 4:46 am
Yog Sothoth
The All in One
The All in One

quote:
Originally posted by TheLonePaladin
cthulu looks like a giant mind flayer. does the "real" Yog Sothoth look like a beholder?

I'll post a image of how the real Yog Sothoth looks like... stay on-line and you'll see (not today however...)
Post Mon Jul 01, 2002 8:16 am
Guybrush Threepwood
High Emperor
High Emperor

Bah...I wanted to see.
Post Mon Jul 01, 2002 8:22 am
Yog Sothoth
The All in One
The All in One

Sorry but i don't have the time... i have to search in my "Call of Cthulhu" books (because i don't know in which one it was...), then make a scanner image (very hard, i've to make my old scanner work with mighty hammer hits! ), then re-size (no matter what resolution i choose, the image will be 4096x3000 or near ), then upload (no problem here) and then post...
I'll show it not before 13:00 GMT... but not after 23:00 GMT!
Post Mon Jul 01, 2002 8:30 am
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

I can not wait for this new image ... so get banging
Post Mon Jul 01, 2002 12:51 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next