Khaak Retraction
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > X2 / X3

Author Thread
Badger
Stripey Forest Dweller
Stripey Forest Dweller

Khaak Retraction

I have to admit that elsewhere on this board I claimed a possible victory in a dogfight with a Khaak ship that in truth was not mine to claim.

The event in question had my pc crashing at the point where the external view of “Heart of Gold” leaped into play. But as I was scattered to the winds of space, my Khaak tormentor also looked as though he’d had his chips.

I sought the benefit of the wisdom of the board to consider what the outcome actually was, and unfortunately no firm conclusions were arrived at.

Now however thanks to the kind support of a friend with oh so lovely Broadband, I have been able to fit new “Patch 1.3” batteries to my flashlight of veracity and thus I am able to shine the beam of truth into the cold darkness of the Khaak heart.

There is a real difference in my framerate! Woo Hoo!!!! No longer will I need to shun the challenge of mortal combat in the vacuum between the stars. At least for the individual man to man (or man to Khaak) stuff. Multiple ship scuffles may yet be beyond my reach, but that remains to be seen.

The new smoother framerate was brought into stark effect as determined to test my new update I tore into pursuit of an individual Khaak triangle ship. (As you know I am still flying the basic “Disco” as supplied by Ban Danna.) Adopting my previous tactics I fell in behind my quarry, my fingers nimbly adjusting my joystick throttle (ooooer missus) to match his speed and as before he ignored my approach.

For the first time I was able to properly make out the details of my enemy as our mutual course took us cruising gently through the void. No more choppy turns sent me thrashing the stick about in vain attempts to center him again in my HUD. This time we moved as one in a grim dance.

“Here’s looking at you kid!” I muttered as I opened fire, (Ok, I wish I’d said something cooler!) and the Khaak vessel swung immediately into a pattern of evasive action. Staying with him easily I continued to pump laser bolts into his exhaust pipes and brimming with generosity I also decided to share with him a few well placed missiles and suddenly…………

Well, nothing actually.

The Khaak swung lazily around a couple of times and took pot shots at me with that triple beam thingy. (My continued existence glad testimony to the fact that he missed.) But other than that he didn’t really make much of an effort to confront me and if I stopped firing he would actually quit the evasive flying and continue on his way as if we’d never met.

The fact is that I fired till I ran out of energy and I emptied my banks of missiles sending ten (count em) ten calculated messages of death, screaming after him, all aching to sink their jaws into his Khaak flesh. But instead their unwelcome attentions were diverted, merely kissing his shields. Shields which I might add barely flinched through out the encounter.

So then I believe that this experiment conducted under laboratory conditions means that we can say without a shadow of a doubt that the dogfight in the previous thread ended in my demise and mine only. Sad… but true.

Now a question.

My “X2” front end is now resplendent in its shiny new 1.3 version tag. But my previous save games still proudly wear their “I heart v1.2” T-shirts. I seem to be able to load them with the all new singing and dancing framerate in play. But I don’t see the point in telling me that previous save games were made with a different version, if they are compatible. They are fully compatible right? I don’t have to start again do I?

That’s it for now space boys and girls.

Badger
Post Tue Mar 23, 2004 12:02 pm
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

You need an Ion Disruptor to handle the shields and the Disco can't cut it. So far as I've been able to determine save games are fully compatible. I have yet to pursue your bold course and upgrade to 1.3. Mind you, I haven't had time to play for 2 weeks, so that may have had an effect on my current condition!! Happy flying.

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Tue Mar 23, 2004 12:18 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Are you certain you were attacking a Khaak M5 and not a M3? One wasp missile will destroy an M5 in a flash.

If you're attacking an M3... well then... that's another matter. It is like David vs Goliath only Goliath rubs his head and goes "Owww!" and steps on him.

A Khaak M3 can severely deplete the shields of a fully shielded Nova if you let it.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Tue Mar 23, 2004 2:36 pm
Badger
Stripey Forest Dweller
Stripey Forest Dweller

Well it was only wee, smaller in fact than my Disco. Isn't yer average "M3" a big fella?
Post Tue Mar 23, 2004 5:20 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Hmm. Khaak M3 are only a little bigger than the M5. Next time you might want to trust in the 'Almighty I'. Even against ships I've fought a thousand times I always use the 'i' key on my target. It tells you class, shields, hull, max speed, and rudder control. You can get more if you have a freight scanner.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Tue Mar 23, 2004 5:46 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

One can also take note of the ship's call letters, KM5*** versus KM3***. The naming/numbering convention holds for all the races. If you had 3 beams, I think you were looking at an M3 target. The Khaak M5's ony have a single beam.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Tue Mar 23, 2004 5:56 pm
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Sounds like an M3...certain death in a disco *shudder*. The M3's are a true pyramid but the M5's aren't (can't think of the right word). The M5's are insanely fast but the M3's doodle around lazily.
Post Tue Mar 23, 2004 9:40 pm
Badger
Stripey Forest Dweller
Stripey Forest Dweller

Ahhhhh ok then! Where was all this wisdom when I needed it before? With the computer crashng and the phantom explosions and the running and the screaming.

Use "I" before tucking in, right.. logical flawlesly logical.
Three beams more than likely = an M3, pearls of wisdom I tells ya.
M3's lumber, M5's nip. This is the source maaaaaaan.

No wonder I couldn't frag him. No wonder he ignored me. No wonder he was all alone.

Now I will upgrade my weapons because my frame rate allows me a fair chance. Now I crave combat, quick and dirty do you hear me?? Quick and Dirty!

Erm..... More tea vicar?
Post Wed Mar 24, 2004 12:29 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Go get 'em, Badger!
Post Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:02 am
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

Q - What do you get when you give a Badger a faster frame rate?

A - A bloody thirsty tea drinker. Gykes!
Post Wed Mar 24, 2004 1:27 pm