NOTR: Xbow
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 Spoilers

Author Thread
fragonard
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

NOTR: Xbow

I know that the carry requirement has been changed from dexterity to strength but I have seen very contradictory (and strongly held) opinions on the Jo-Wood forum and elsewhere on whether or not dexterity still plays a part in damage calulation. Does anyone have experience on this? My gold edition has been shipped and I'm thinking about character building strategy so this is important to know. TIA
Post Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:40 pm
mazu
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

Just use one handers in the beginning and train it to 30, then use one handers until you get two-handers into 60 when you get the best combo. Put all your points in Strength and dont join a Guild unless you really have to because if you join the militia you'll get less stats than the mercenaries, but if you join the paladins you get more quests and the game is easier.
Post Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:57 pm
fragonard
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Yes, I intend to concentrate on strength but I still am not sure about whether or not dexterity has any effect on crossbow damage. I hope it does not but if it does, I can't see how you could raise both strength and dexterity enough and I probably would become a mage instead.
Post Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:43 pm
Gotit
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

If dex is used for crossbow damage it cannot be a primary weapon, but could be a secondary weapon, long-range, for a char investing in strength.

The problem is perhaps that on this point the game designers forgot to put focus on gameplay and combat diversity instead of a sort of realism. Anyway I feel the weapon switch is a lot too slow to allow more than an anecdotic use of long range and short range. The best I could find is to shoot once perhaps twice then run backward as I switch back to a melee weapon. But that sucks.
Post Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:22 pm
Dez
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

The xbow in notr works a bit same way as the dex based swords(eepees) do.

So when you are shooting with the crossbow the damage you deal is calculated from your DEX number. Strenght only determines what kind of xbow you are able to wield and use. This is why the crossbow generally speaking is the utmost useless weapon-skill of all four.As we know the effective use of it demands great number of strenght, dexterity and naturally good skill-level in xbowskill.

So If your character is strong enough to use xbow, he is strong enough to use powerfull melee weapon too.And like we all know many times warrior's dexterity is quite low compared to his strenght. Thus a hit from his xbow won't deal much damage anyway even if he capable to launch it! In addition because the reloading itself takes forever the enemy is at the sword range before you can launch your second shot. So why bother using it or spending any preciouss skillpoints in it?

If you desire to go long range combat, the bow and magic are much more effective methods.
Post Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:43 am