Cheydinhal Recommendation bug fix
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Oblivion - Spoilers

Author Thread
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

Cheydinhal Recommendation bug fix

Just thought I would post this here incase anyone else encounters the same problem as me. Apparently there is a major game stopping bug with the Cheydinhal Recommendation quest where the body in the well will dissapear. If that happens to you, this is how you fix it:

First, go into the well where the body should be, and swim to one of the corridors. The following command will summon Vidkun:

player.placeatme 00002E5Af

Now the problem is that he will be alive (and he won't drown). If you kill him yourself, you will be flagged as a murderer and you will also be kicked out of the mages guild. To get around this, I stood behind him and faced him, and summoned a bandit with the following command:

player.placeatme 00003DB35

After summoning, *immediately* swim backwards so that the bandit doesn't see you before it is fully summoned. The bandit will then attack and kill vidkun. All you have to do is kill the bandit and then get the ring from vidkuns corpse.

Have fun!
Post Sat Apr 08, 2006 11:15 pm
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life

This should really be in the Spoilers section, where I've posted a note about a mod which fixes these minor bugs in the mage quests.

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:11 am
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

Minor? I would hardly call this minor. A bug that completely breaks one of the main quest path's in the game is definately not minor.

I don't really think this is a spoiler either. It doesn't tell you anything you don't already get told.
Post Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:38 am
Moriendor
Black Ring Leader
Black Ring Leader

I agree. This is not minor at all if you can't finish one of the major quest lines without cheating. And the Mage Guild quest is not the only one with a show-stopping bug. I can't finish the Thieves Guild quest line because of a bug on the final mission (pretty much a confirmed bug that other people are experiencing as well). This game really needs a good patch... FAST!
Post Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:37 am
corwin

Perhaps we differ on our interpretation of the word 'minor'!! Since there is a mod available which fixes this, and since it doesn't break the MAIN story quest, I considered it minor.

Post Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:54 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

I couldn't find the thread you mentioned, but the only mod I know of that can fix this is the one that gives you access to the arcane university, thus skipping the entire mage's guild quest path.

I think my solution is much better because it simply repairs what is broken, rather than really "cheating".

If the mod you mentioned is something different, can you post a link please?
Post Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:59 pm
Moriendor
Black Ring Leader
Black Ring Leader

Just a quick update on the Thieves Guild quest line: It can be completed by using a console cheat. I'll try to keep this spoiler-free.
The problem is that all of a sudden you can no longer open certain gates and passages. The game just doesn't respond to pushing buttons any longer (not on your keyboard but buttons in the actual game ).
You can see the button moving and you can hear the sound of something opening in the distance but the gates just won't open.
This can *sometimes* be fixed by exiting the game and reloading your save (just reloading without exiting the game first does not work since the memory is not cleared when you just reload).
It's very random though and on one part of the quest too tedious to retry again and again and again.
So I used a 'collision off' cheat to finish the quest. You need to bring down the console via the '`' key and then you enter 'tcl' which disables collision detection. Now you can just walk through any gates/walls that can't otherwise be opened. To turn collision back on, you just need to enter 'tcl' again.
Post Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:08 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

You should post that in a new thread so people can find it easier.
Post Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:28 pm
corwin

Here's the URL: http://www.tessource.net/files/file.php?id=2559

Post Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:21 pm