Members
Usergroups
What's up with the meager graphics?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Dungeon Siege

Author Thread
Steel

What's up with the meager graphics?

Am I blind or do the graphics just plain suck? At 1024x768x32 w/ max'ed Object Detail, the textures look like any other game would when you pick the lowest detail! I'm using an ELSA Gladiac GF2, so it's not like I have some left-wing video card or anything. Does anyone else feel that the textures are quite lame?
Post Mon Apr 22, 2002 12:14 am

hahaha

LOL@U

there arent really any config to do more than what you seemed to have been using...

ahahah@u again.

in every review i have read, they have come out and said this game has the best rpg graphics ever.

UR FUCKIN BLIND
Post Mon Apr 22, 2002 1:02 am

Rogue-Kabel
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

What?

What are you talking about the graphics are sweet. And you can’t run it at that resolution at best it’s 800*600 and 32. I think you are lying or maybe I am just wrong but I don’t think so. And another thing there is one of you in every game that comes out, it must suck to be part of that group. Later original
Post Mon Apr 22, 2002 5:22 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Every rewiev that I have read gives highest marks in graphic rank. I also think that graphic is perfect.
So there are two possibilities:

1) something is wrong with your PC, look at screenshots (many links on PRGDot main page) and compare them with what you see on your monitor)

2) you like other things than we do. Then please reformulate your sentences to "I do not like this kind of graphics", because graphics obviously is not plain and doesnt sucks or do you think that all reviewers and other users are blind or supid?

EDITED: now I read new review on Gamespot and thez gave it 8.5 overall but 10 out of 10 for graphics.
Post Mon Apr 22, 2002 6:19 am

I have a Elsa GF2 ultra and the graphics look great. It could be a driver problem. Try loading drivers from cd, update to Elsa drivers from thier website and then load NV driver 28.32. This way you get to keep Coolbits and monitor support. Just try it, I did a lot of testing after last format and this way looks way better.
Billy
Post Mon Apr 22, 2002 8:01 am

Gig
Southern Spirit
Southern Spirit

::::::::::::Troll!:::::::::::::::
''Perhaps I'm old and tired but I always think that the chances of finding out what really is going on are so absurdly remote that the only thing to do is to say hang the sense of it and just keep yourself occupied. Look at me: I design coastlines. I got an award for Norway.''--Slartibartfast
Post Mon Apr 22, 2002 11:29 am
Badger
Stripey Forest Dweller
Stripey Forest Dweller

Hi All

Hey, some of you guys were pretty mean to Steel. If he is a troll then it's a bit of an odd attempt at "trolling" (ok, made it up) If he just has a genuine problem with his graphics card as per Danicek's advice, then he now thinks we're a right unfriendly old bunch!

Badger

PS: If you are a Troll Steel. Then please do me a favour and disregard all I just said. Make up a suitable rude comment and we'll consider that I said it.
Post Mon Apr 22, 2002 12:55 pm
TheSmJ
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I think I know the answer

I beleve the problem you are having with what appears to be bad graphics, is in fact nothing to do with bad drivers, but rather the fact that the GeForce 2, and all chips in the GeForce 2 family (including mine, a GeForce 2 MX400) are NOT DirectX 8.1 compliant. This makes effects like Environment Bump mapping, pixel shading, and other effects not appear, unless you buy a 8.1 compliant card (such as the Radon 8500, Geforce 3 or 4, etc.)

If you want better graphics (or faster gameplay, for that matter) upgrading your video card would be the best option, as this would increase pipeline speed, and enable the DX 8.1 features you were expecting to see.
Post Mon Apr 22, 2002 3:20 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Hi TheSmJ,

you are right about shaders etc. but I play on GForce2GTS and I still have very nice graphics (I do not see any difference between screenshots and what I see on my monitor).
Post Mon Apr 22, 2002 3:23 pm
TheSmJ
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I'd have to check later tonight (I'm not at home right now) but I beleve I am also missing some of the effects the screenshots show. It also could be that the screenshots were taken with a card that also was not compliant w/ 8.1, because most people wont have the next gen. cards, and they wanted to show what most peopel should expect to see.

Its also possible taht there are simply no DX 8.1 effects, but that would REALLY suprise me, being as this game IS published by Microsoft, and I could have sworn I saw something about them working with nVidia throught the development of the game(but again, I could be wrong).

One way to check, wold be to have people post there own screenshots, who have A GeForce 3 or 4 TI (no Geforce 4 MX, because they are actually a revamped version of the GeForce 2, and from what I read they dont support much of what the Geforce 3 can even do)

This way we can see what people with higher end cards are seeing when they play while using highest detail.

Again, it IS posible that Dungeon Siege simply does not support these features, but that would really blow me away if this was the case, being as its one of Micro$oft's flagship games for the moment, and you would think they would be trying to show off all of what DirectX 8.1 can do.
Post Mon Apr 22, 2002 3:51 pm
Incindium
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Ok my first impression was that the graphics looked like crap... On a 19 in monitor 1024x768 doesn't look that great. However after snooping around in the Dungeon Siege directory and editing a file I managed to up my gameplay resolution to 1280x1024 and which looks really sweet. I also turned on 2x antialiasing and now the graphics look just short of spectacular. I've got everything maxed except for my shadows which I dropped to simple to gain an extra 4-5 fps and the game now runs a very smooth looking 20-30 fps. So yes out of the box Dungeon Siege can look sub par but with some tweaking it can look really good.
Post Mon Apr 22, 2002 4:30 pm
Steel

Thanks guys

Thanks for all your comments/suggestions (except for the lame few who take their games waaaay to personally).

How do I turn on antialiasing in the game?
Post Tue Apr 23, 2002 12:15 am

DundeonKeeper

Game looks sweet on my geo 4 TI 4600 !!!!!!! and just how did you boost your res past 1024 x 768?
Post Tue Apr 23, 2002 5:41 am

Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

You turn graphic antialiasing on in praperties of your graphic card.
Post Tue Apr 23, 2002 6:33 am
Llama
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
I beleve the problem you are having with what appears to be bad graphics, is in fact nothing to do with bad drivers, but rather the fact that the GeForce 2, and all chips in the GeForce 2 family (including mine, a GeForce 2 MX400) are NOT DirectX 8.1 compliant. This makes effects like Environment Bump mapping, pixel shading, and other effects not appear, unless you buy a 8.1 compliant card (such as the Radon 8500, Geforce 3 or 4, etc.)

Dungeon Siege does not use hardware T&L, it's a DX 7.0 game. It "requires" DX 8.1 because 8.1 has 7.0 fixes on it, but the game, by no means uses DX 8.x features.

Also, just a little food for though since you brought it up. GeForce cards cannot utilize DX 8.1 features, only 8.0, the Radeon cards are the only cards on the market that were made for DX 8.1
Post Tue Apr 23, 2002 12:11 pm

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next