RPGDot Network    

Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords (Xbox)
Display full image
Pic of the moment
More
pics from the gallery

Site Navigation

Main
   News
   Forums

Games
   Games Database
   Top 100
   Release List
   Support Files

Features
   Reviews
   Previews
   Interviews
   Editorials
   Diaries
   Misc

Download
   Gallery
   Music
   Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
DirectX 9.x - a Gothic DISASTER!!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 - Troubleshooting

Author Thread
pclem
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

DirectX 9.x - a Gothic DISASTER!!

This is really pissing me off. Will anybody listen? Gothic 1 and Gothic 2 have a real problem with DirectX 9.x on Windows 98(whatever the version 9.0, 9.0a, etc). If you've got any version of DirectX 9.x, how'se your old version of Gothic 1 getting on??? Down the sewer, I'll bet! In anticipation of Gothic 2 coming out, I was happily playing Gothic 1 over again. Good Game, Huh?? I then made the historic mistake of loading DirectX 9.0 to run a recently released game. Should I worry? All my currently games continued to run OK - oops, except Gothic 1! Shock horror! What's going on? Maybe its a glitch? Gothic 2 will be OK? Pleaaase tell me Gothic 2 will be OK! Nope, Gothic 2 won't run either. Let me guess the problem. Err, DirectX 9.x.

OK consider me simple, I got the latest version of DirectX from Mirosoft website, I got the latest rivers from NVidia (44.03), I prayed twice to Mecca, said three Hail Mary's and what, I still get a blank screen after upteem minutes of PLEASE WAIT LOADING.
I think its time that the guys at PB give us a patch to end this misery. Come on, it can't be that hard, can it?????
Post Mon Jun 16, 2003 12:02 am
bigkabuto
High Emperor
High Emperor

DX9 here but not problems with gothic or gothic II all loads fine...nothing wrong.

-Guru,Gang Starr |Skills|
Post Mon Jun 16, 2003 12:45 am
pclem
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

OK, tell me where I'm going wrong. Set up is Athlon 1000Mhtz, 256 Mb RAM, Windows 98, DirectX 9.0a, Detonator 44.03 drivers - Gothic 1 and 2 - forget it!

Same set up, DirectX 8.xx - no problem.

I love the game, I only wish I could play it!!
Post Mon Jun 16, 2003 12:58 am
Irf
High Emperor
High Emperor

If you think it's definatly directX 9.x why not just go back to 8.1? at least tilly ou finish playing gothic 2
Post Mon Jun 16, 2003 1:08 am
Shmaugus
High Emperor
High Emperor

ever think of reinstalling directx 9.x?
check it out (link deleted)

Link deleted; Gorath.
Post Mon Jun 16, 2003 1:16 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Shmaugus, now would be a good time to stop posting this link in the Gothic forums.
Post Mon Jun 16, 2003 1:31 am
pclem
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Why not go back to DirectX 8.xx, etc

Yeah, you're probably right. I should re-config my system to run Gothic 1 and 2 and to hell with then latest game releases. Makes sense, if I only had one game I wanted to play. DirectX 9.xx surely can't be that much of a bummer. I've reloaded umpteem of my old games and they all seem to run OK, except the Gothic series (NOLF2 is a bit dodgy too). I will give in eventually and reload DirectX 8.xx because I like the game so much, but come on, PB can fix this DirectX problem, if pushed.
Post Mon Jun 16, 2003 1:38 am
Xerxes712
High Emperor
High Emperor

Nvidia drivers 4.13.01.2832 'the older version drivers worked better for me' Windows 98SE2 Pentium 3 at 733 Mhz, 393 Meg RAM. DirectX 9.1a or something.

Gothic1 and Gothic 2 demo runs absolutely fine, except I had to turn off fog (cpu can not take it) and limit visual range to 140%. Runs like a dream, except once in a while I need to restart game after 4 hours to flush memory leak somewhere. I really could use a new machine.

I know this, Norton or anti-virus software running on W98 will give me problems and I shut it off while playing the game.

All my games run on this Old Rig and I have hundreds (no kidding, I collect them as a hobby, played only 10% all the way through).

I read somewhere Atholan AMD cpu chips did have a problem with DirectX 9.xx on a website. I do not know what was the exact issues, they were rather obscure. Do a word search on the Net to find articles related to the Intel and Micro$oft conspiracy with DirectX 9 to put down AMD cpu chips.
Post Mon Jun 16, 2003 1:44 am
Kiwi Boy
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Xerxes712
All my games run on this Old Rig and I have hundreds (no kidding, I collect them as a hobby, played only 10% all the way through).

Oh man, how big is your hard drive?
Post Mon Jun 16, 2003 3:01 am
[PB]Nico
Keeper of the Bugs
Keeper of the Bugs

Just to let you know...
We noticed the reports about problems with DirectX 9.0x. But unfortunately we were/are not able to reproduce it. So we have no idea how to fix it, sorry.

- nico
Post Mon Jun 16, 2003 3:57 am
Shifter
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

WinXP w/DX 9.1

Gothic 1 and 2 run fine for me.
Post Mon Jun 16, 2003 6:17 am