Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
What's your favourite choice of camp?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread

What was your choice when you first played Gothic? (not the demo)

Old camp, New camp or Swamp camp?

Post Tue Jan 01, 2002 8:15 pm

jldawson
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

My plan was to join the New Camp, since they were making the most sense to me, but I'd done something which ruined my chances of doing that. So I went with the Old Camp by default. The Sect members, to me, were a bunch of drug-addled fools...
Post Tue Jan 01, 2002 8:46 pm
Radar75
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I had a hard time chossing actually. The Brotherhood apealed to me cause you can learn Magic right away, which when mixed with a decent fighter is a solid character. However, having to "earn the right" the wear the next type of armor kind of, well sucked. That's why I like the New Camp, you can have any equipment you want, as long as your ruthless enough to get the ore to pay for it, which was easy once I ripped off Gomez by cracking his tower. (Now if I could only become a Merc...)
Post Tue Jan 01, 2002 8:53 pm
Llama
High Emperor
High Emperor

The Brotherhood is and always will be my favorite.

The story line rotates around them, they have the most freedom within the camp in a roleplaying sense.

For instance, when you have to go to the Old Mine in chapter 2, do you actually think the guards in the mine would allow someone from the New Camp in? Considering they absolutely hate eachother I just don't see the logic in that part of the game.

I didn't like the Old Camp because for me, the people that lived there wanted to stay, and you're character wanted out of the barrier, which means you wouldn't fit in, and as the story continues you get the boot from the camp for that very thinking.

I liked magic but I don't like full mages, the templars just look cool, and I was really wanting the Brotherhood to be right at the end.

I play wierd though, like with my templar, I did the 4 circles of magic, but the only runes I use are those from the Brotherhood and the generic ones. My characters are always theme characters, so when I join a camp, I try to be like everyone else in the camp and only use the resources from that camp specifically.
Post Tue Jan 01, 2002 9:05 pm
Radar75
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Acctually that's the way I play. Only I had to resort to using a "Fire Bolt" for a while. The sleeper magic just dosn't seem that powerful right now. (At least fist of wind dosn't)
Post Tue Jan 01, 2002 9:16 pm
Llama
High Emperor
High Emperor

The perk about fist of wind is it blows the enemy backwards.
Post Tue Jan 01, 2002 9:18 pm
Max Killen
Exalted Potentate
Exalted Potentate

quote:

On 2002-01-01 15:05, Llama wrote:

I didn't like the Old Camp because for me, the people that lived there wanted to stay, and you're character wanted out of the barrier, which means you wouldn't fit in,

I picked the Old Camp because I like head-banging and I thought the Old Camp would be more physical. In all the RPGs I've played (and I have played alot), I've never been a mage.

But; you made a point. I have not finished the game; and I can only assume the object is to break out of the barrier. And, you're right, Diego does make the snide comment at the very beginning of the game "you've just got here and you want to escape". Yes, he said it and yes I did not listen. You're right, the people in the Old Camp are comfortable with their setting and quite happy just staying put. The other camps have broken away from the Old Camp and want to escape the barrier. Oh well, I teamed up with a bunch of losers; but I do look good in armor.
Post Tue Jan 01, 2002 9:25 pm
Jinx
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

I was initially gonna go with the old camp since Diego had been nice to me and I love the invocation spells. But after I got tired of the corruption there and saw the badass templars in the sect camp I joined the weed-heads
Post Tue Jan 01, 2002 10:33 pm
Faelon
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Damn that vanity, eh Max? I also joined the Old Camp to look good as well. I assumed Templars only look good when bald, and Mercs had that patchwork armour thing happening. The esthetics didn't work for me so I went with the cool red and black motif. Next time round I think I'll go Templar and see what happens.
Post Tue Jan 01, 2002 11:08 pm
Max Killen
Exalted Potentate
Exalted Potentate

my sentiments exactly
Post Wed Jan 02, 2002 12:02 am
lildragon
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

I went with the old camp, only because I felt I owe it to Deigo, but I'm considering going to the sect cause those Templars are just bada$$ but I hate the Sect camp, it's laid out so badly, the Old Camp seems to have everything in order...
I have no IDEA why any sane person would join the New Camp
Post Wed Jan 02, 2002 12:32 am
bigkabuto
High Emperor
High Emperor

so you are a templar now?? tell me how much quests did it took you to be a templar?
Post Wed Jan 02, 2002 12:39 am
lildragon
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

no I wish I was a Templar, but I think I might take that path. I'm a shadow now in Chapter 2
Post Wed Jan 02, 2002 12:58 am
Llama
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
so you are a templar now?? tell me how much quests did it took you to be a templar?

To become a templar is the same as to become a mage, guard, or mercenary.

One other thing I forgot to mention about the Brotherhood... They have more quests.
Post Wed Jan 02, 2002 1:09 am
mersil
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Play all the Camps ;

i have finished with Old camp, and the Sect camp.
next will be the New camp .

P.s the game Goes Much Faster the Second Time around
Post Wed Jan 02, 2002 1:18 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next