*Possible SPOILER* 2 issues that need resolving
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Neverwinter Nights - Spoilers

Author Thread
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

*Possible SPOILER* 2 issues that need resolving

First, is Kama a small or tiny weapon? The more I research this, the more confused about it all I get. Does anybody have any conclusive evidence one way or the other?

Second, where do I find these fabled alchemist's labs and/or special blacksmiths that can use all my useless and silly trinkets like dragon's blood, pixie dust, ironwood, adamantium, and such?
Post Mon Jul 08, 2002 3:09 am
Beo
Space Defender
Space Defender

Re: 2 issues that need resolving

@Moondragon, please add "SPOILER" to your topic title in the future if the question is spoiler-related.

quote:
Originally posted by MoonDragon
First, is Kama a small or tiny weapon?

None of the above. It is an exotic weapon. Check out manual (North American Edition) at page 99.

quote:

Second, where do I find these fabled alchemist's labs and/or special blacksmiths that can use all my useless and silly trinkets like dragon's blood, pixie dust, ironwood, adamantium, and such?

*****************SPOILER***********************
The blacksmith is located at downstairs of Shining Knight Arms & Armor (NWN City Core). Talk to Durga about purchasing 'the premium items'. He will give you a stone to go downstairs where you will meet Marrok. The smith will give you more information and a book of the items recipes.
Post Mon Jul 08, 2002 3:23 am
Yog Sothoth
The All in One
The All in One

SPOILER

I don't know where you are (first or second chapter) so since Beo told you of the first i'll tell you about the second:
In Port Llast there is only the mage laboratory (related with the quest of the 5 books/tombs). Where? Talk with the guy in the underground wizard lab (north/east of the map, use the teleporter near the girl that sells wizard stuff to reach it) and he says to you to talk with the girl on the surface. All the time you get a book for her and you give it to her, a scroll appear in the underground lab (near the glowing chest) with the proper instructions.
=Ex-Baron of the RPGDot Shadows=
Post Mon Jul 08, 2002 9:13 am
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

Re: 2 issues that need resolving

quote:
Originally posted by Beo
@Moondragon, please add "SPOILER" to your topic title in the future if the question is spoiler-related.

You're right. Thx for adding it, when I first started the topic, I wasn't gonna ask that, but by the time I did, I forgot about the title.
quote:
Originally posted by Beo
None of the above. It is an exotic weapon. Check out manual (North American Edition) at page 99.

That's not what I'm asking. I didn't ask for the type of it, but the size of it. Types are, simple, martial, exotic (and I think there is one more, I forget now). Sizes are tiny, small, medium and large.

The manual lists the weapon as Tiny. The game says it's small. Yet the game behaves as if though it was tiny when I double weild it. Now I'm not sure if this were some hidden bonus due to the special relationship that Monks have with Kamas, or if those extra penalty modifiers don't get displayed in your character sheet. Bottom line, I wanted some more "proof" one way or the other.
quote:
Originally posted by Beo

The blacksmith is ...(NWN City Core).

This is one of the reasons I really hate NWN. Your apparent freedom is so limited in what you're allowed to do. The whole chapter business is starting to trully annoy me. Why can't I freely travel around the world? *Ungh...* And every single time they change a chapter (or part of it), they undo my hireling and all her settings. I wish there was a way to turn off the annoying cutscenes that really don't do much for my interest in the game, as they usually tell me what I'm supposed to think and feel, which I hate, and reset my hirelings. *Ungh...* Oh and did I mention the most abhorable pathing I've seen since.... umm... ever? But other than that... pretty good game. If only it could decide already if Kamas are small or tiny!
Post Mon Jul 08, 2002 10:08 pm
Beo
Space Defender
Space Defender

quote:
This is one of the reasons I really hate NWN. Your apparent freedom is so limited in what you're allowed to do. The whole chapter business is starting to trully annoy me.

If you are talking about the unfinished quests, yes, it is a bit annoying; but it also gives me more fun to try it a different time with a different class or MP because everything is basically the same other than the loot in the chests.

If you miss the smith and/or the lab, they will be available again in latter chapters to forge more potent versions of weapons & armors.

I will let Master EverythingXen and others to answer your Kamas question.
Post Mon Jul 08, 2002 10:31 pm
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Beo
If you are talking about the unfinished quests, yes, it is a bit annoying;

Not just that. The whole idea that they just decide to swap chapters/sub-chapters on you without any warning or anything. There were few times I had to reload to an older save just because the game all of a sudden decided I coudln't go back and finish some trivial things I specifically left for later. It's frustrating that the game "forces" you to follow the one path and one path alone. Without even being able to backtrack. I've lost few hours of gameplay just to that alone. But I'm learning my lessons. Now I avoid plot characters until I'm ready to be shoved into the next part of the story.

It also bugs me how sometimes the game insults my intelligence. E.g. with the Solomon guy in Port Llast. I mean, c'mon. I saw that ring coming from MILES away. The guy gives you a ring and then goes *poof* into thin air? And this is supposed to be a poor peasant or something? Right... give me a break! And then I coudln't talk to anybody about this ring when it was SO obvious it was a damn spy ring. And then, 30 seconds later, I walk into the tavern and he tells me how he's been spying on me with the ring for days now. Right buddy... you just gave me the damn thing! *sigh* Sorry everybody, I'm just venting.
Post Tue Jul 09, 2002 4:20 pm
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

Ok, I think I got it figured out. I had two misleading pieces of information. At some point, either the game or the manual told me that if I have a tiny weapon in my off-hand that than there is an additional reduction in to-hit penalty for dual wielding. The manual also lists Kama as a tiny weapon.

Now the problem was that the game says Kama is a small weapon, yet I was still getting the same to-hit penalty as when putting a dagger into my off-hand.

The truth is the following, AFAIK. You get further reduction in dual wielding penalty if your off-hand weapon is light. A light weapon is a weapon one or more sizes down from your own build. Since my monk is a human, small weapons are considered light. This makes a dagger (which is tiny sized) give same penalty reduction as a kama.
Post Wed Jul 10, 2002 6:43 pm