Members
Usergroups
Used the editor yet?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
rascalmanny

Used the editor yet?

Anybody used the editor yet? I'm really jazzed about it.
Post Fri May 03, 2002 8:45 pm

Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Just for information, we have here moding forum.
Post Fri May 03, 2002 9:02 pm

Re: Used the editor yet?

quote:
Originally posted by rascalmanny
Anybody used the editor yet? I'm really jazzed about it.

Yes yes I have, quite a bit now actually (about 2 hours last night and most of the day today at work, god it's nice being a short-timer). It has it's good points and bad points. Good points is that it is INCREDIBLY powerfull and has the capability of editing any facet of the game (including the rules system from what I can tell though I haven't tried it). There's a few little tricks you have to remember when using it though otherwise it is frustrating as hell. First is to turn on grid snap and angle snap in your preferences, and also remember to adjust the "land sensitivity multiplier" as needed. When I first started working with exterior cells it was taking me forever to raise the land up above water, then I found that little spot in the prefs, adjusted it and I could raise it up quick and then lower the setting for fine tuning when I got it roughly where I wanted it.

Now for the bad. You either have to:

A. Load in ALL of the master ESM file when you go to edit things. This is bad because you CAN'T delete landmasses (as far as I can find), all you can do is hide them from the game. So you essentially have to go through and lower all the landmasses and delete all the objects from the world if you are wanting to make your own world. I might do that myself and throw it out on the net as a plug-in, but not until I've had more of a chance the play the game itself.

or

B. You can start out with six flat pieces of land but NO objects, and I haven't found a way to successfully import all of the stuff in the master ESM file as much of them are linked to static objects which can neither be exported nor imported (you can only access them by loading the master ESM and thus all the cells/landmasses with it). So if you absolutly, positivly MUST start from scratch you are going to have fun re-adding all of those objects back in.

Other than that though it is VERY impressive, and the best editor I have ever seen (after having worked with UnrealEd, Q3's editor and the like). For the avg. user, while there are minor hurdles to overcome, it is a very capable tool. For those looking for something to be able to work from a half-way point (i.e. no landmasses to start with, but all the databased objects) it's going to be a bit of a problem till someone finds the solution or a workaround that is fairly quick.

-Meltdown
Post Fri May 03, 2002 9:04 pm

rascalmanny

editor

Ive always wanted to see a game based on the Dragonlance series of books. Why this has not happened yet is beyond me. Doesn't matter now since I will be using the Morrowind editor to make my own.

I'm up for the challenge to learn it. Making games is a dream of mine and you have to start somewhere. I have Photoshop 6 and 3D Studio Max ( which I will have to learn too) so I can create from scratch if I have to.

I will start by creating areas like towns first and I will be uploading them to the web for others to play around in. But my goal is a full game with quest involving the characters and creatures from the Dragonlance Saga. So what if it takes a year or more? And who knows where it will lead me? Only good things can come from the learning involved.
Post Fri May 03, 2002 9:57 pm

Gwendo
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Just make a far away island. That will be the new land...
Post Sat May 04, 2002 10:17 am
GMD
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

3Dmax

Can anyone tell me, have you tried the 3Dmax ---> editor, and how do you like it?

TIA
Post Sat May 04, 2002 4:58 pm
Warmaster-Horus
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

3dmax

i have used 3dmax, it's easier than most 3dmodeling programs (and free ) but that's not saying much, it's still pretty difficult to use unless you've actually taken a class on 3d modeling or such. Or maybe it's just me.

=Leader of the Horus Heresy=
=Champion of Khorne=
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD SKULLS FOR THE THRONE
Post Sat May 04, 2002 7:05 pm
Warmaster-Horus
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

Dragon Lance Mod

I love D&D, i was thinking of making a Forgotten Realms mod (Which if ever finished could be my life's work) of course modelling all of Faerun (and Kara-Tur, and wherever Al-Qaidam takes place) would take forever, but it could be a very cool mod

=Leader of the Horus Heresy=
=Champion of Khorne=
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD SKULLS FOR THE THRONE
Post Sat May 04, 2002 7:10 pm

I was trying to use the editor but when I tried to build on the the "wilderness" island, the one that is the single square out in the sea, all I get is a vast landscape of DIRT. How can I add new cells? (and maybe have them use a grass texture)
The tutorials from Beth are useless and I'm not even knew to modding. I used UnrealED and editors for various RTS games.
Post Sun May 05, 2002 12:33 am

Also, can anyone tell me how to change the gamma of the editing window??
Post Sun May 05, 2002 12:40 am

GMD
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

3Dmax

is this the 3Dmax they're talking about??
http://www.discreet.com/products/3dsmax/
(my "Morrowind" is "in the mail")
I just thought I'd ask how easy folks thought bits went from max to the editor.
I use Rhino and have used this max's eval ver.

Too, Zeiss posted this link, a must see
http://morrowind.ttlg.com/editor/preview.shtml
Post Sun May 05, 2002 1:34 am
sinu

tips

get up the lanscape editor and select a texture then right click on parts of the lands mass to apply the texture.
To add existing interiors cells read the manual, it tells you for exterior ones edit other wilderness areas and link them together.
Post Sun May 05, 2002 6:15 pm