Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Fallout experts! Hint me til I can't take no more (SPOILERS)
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Fallout

Author Thread
piln
High Emperor
High Emperor

Fallout experts! Hint me til I can't take no more (SPOILERS)

I'm only just playing this great game "properly" for the first time. I'm running two seperate play-throughs at the same time, one with a cowardly, charming, sneaky and totally non-violent character, and one with a an aggressive, bad-tempered, violent gun nut. It's great fun!

Anyway, between the two characters (and my tendency to reload and repeat most encounters just to see what different approaches are available), I'm seeing almost every part of the game from many different perspectives. I'm also discovering a few puzzling problems.

I haven't really come close to completing the game with either character yet; with both, I've completed the water chip quest and "joined" the Brotherhood (actually, my non-violent character just broke in, but they all assumed I was a new member... idiots). But I kept a save at the point just outside the water pumping building in Necropolis; right before you speak to (or sneak past) the big mutant guard. The reason I kept it was because I was curious about the place he takes you to if you don't bluff your way out of the conversation. Now, I've played way past that point with both characters, but the other day I went back to this save (which is using my violent character, who luckily already had a suit of power armour at that time). To my surprise and delight, I managed to kill the Lieutenant and his pals (and Ian, Tycho, Dogmeat and Tandi were squished like bugs in the process), and figured out that this is the place Vault 13's overseer later asks me to find and destroy. Using the sniper rifle, minigun, and occasionally stealthboy that I brought with me, and the rocket launcher, gatling laser and plasma grenades I found along the way, I single-handedly butchered everyone in the base, fought my way outside and all the way back to near-civilisation (killing 12 more minigun-toting mutants en route), where I was picked up by a friendly Brotherhood squad. And let me tell you, I was pretty darned pleased with myself, because I was only level 9 at the start.

Here comes my first question... I now know that I can blow up the base using the computer on level 4. I do still have a save inside the base too, just before I left level one to go outside, and after I'd chunked everyone inside. Unfortunately, the alarms went off and yellow forcefields are barring several paths - including the route back to level 4, iirc. This character's Science skill is so bad that I can't do anything with either of those computers, I've tried maybe 30 times in a row and had no success. So what I want to know is, is there any way of blowing the base up other than using that computer on level 4? And for that matter, is it possible to remove all the impassable forcefields by any means other than the computer on level 1?

Now for may other character, the pacifist. The only human deaths I've taken part in were those of Gizmo and his bodyguard Izo, in Junktown (and that wasn't my fault, because they said they were going to arrest them, not blow their brains out!). When that happened, I just hid round the corner and waited for it all to blow over. A similar situation has come up in the Hub, where I can get Decker to hire me for a hit, then go and grass him up to the law. But I know the cops are going to kill him, so while playing this character, I will refuse to accompany them. Problem: I get nothing, no reward, no experience, even though I'm giving the cops the evidence they need, and I think the quest remains unresolved. Does anyone know if there is a way to end this scenario non-violently? And while we're on the subject, how about another Hub side-quest, the one to get the farmer his land and house back? As far as I can tell, the only way to do it is to kill all the raiders inside, but I'd love to be able to turf them out without any bloodshed (and pickpocketing the .223 pistol as a present for Ian would be a bomus too! )

Finally, this is on behalf of my friend who's playing Fallout 2. He got hit by a particularly nasty bug in Fallout, where the Brotherhood would randomly accuse him of stealing for no reason (well, he says he didn't do anything ) and kill him - and he'd overwritten any saves he had before this problem became apparent. So in disgust he gave up and started on the sequel. Now he can't figure out how to make the car work. He's playing the European version, which has no kids in it - I believe that alters the tasks you must perform to obtain the car, in comparison to the US version, is that right? Anyway, he's sure he's done all that's required to repair the car, and he's put fuel in it, but it doesn't come with him when he travels and his travelling time is unchanged. If anyone can remember this, can you give me a detailed description of the steps you need to take to get the car working, so I can put him out of my misery?

And besides questions & answers, maybe this thread can be a general place for Fallout quirks & oddities, weird bugs, interesting acheivements, etc.

[edit]: what's the level cap in Fallout 1? I'd like to plan my choice of perks well
Post Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:31 am
cptmaxon
High Emperor
High Emperor

ok I can answer the question about the car, it's the same as the US version, in Gecko there's a guy names skitter, you can either kill him pick pocket him or give him a super tool kit(depending on your style of play), and he has teh fuel cell injector thingy, the fuel cell regulater is in the same place as the US version as well that is past rat city in klamath, as for the base destroying I had a problem following you plin, do you mean the Vault of the master or the FEV base?, I think you can destroy the FEV base in two ways, one kill the lietuent two, use your science skill, if you can't do either, I can't help you sorry
Post Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:40 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

If your Science skill isn't good enough, then steal a security card from one of the technicians. It'll give you access to the control computer. Or, you can just blow up the control computer with dynamite and trigger the sequence that way.
Also, if I remember right, there should be a computer near this one that controls the force fields. You can use it to shut off those annoying force fields.

The sheriff is going to sit on his fat buff unless you help him "arrest" Decker.
As for getting rid of the farmer's pest problem, sorry, I think that one requires an exterminator.

The car runs on energy supplied by Small Energy Cells or Micro Fusion Cells. Did he fill it up?
Post Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:34 pm
piln
High Emperor
High Emperor

Thanks folks!

Sorry, cptmaxon, I was indeed referring to the FEV base. Killing the lieutenant can be pretty tough for my violent character at that level, but I can manage it - the rest of the base is easy by comparison, as long as I use cover and try not to engage more than 2 or 3 mutants at once. I read that it's possible to storm the base with some Brotherhood paladins later, which should be fun but I doubt it'll pose much of a challenge. I can't wait to attempt this section with my non-violent character! He's got over 120% sneak skill already, and I'll have to see if I can find a stealthboy for him too.

Blow the computers up!!! Thanks, Val, I hadn't thought of that, I'll give it a try. I did try various things again from my different saves, and found I had a couple of Mentats in my pack. I took them and was able to figure out the Vats computer (the one that lets you arm the self-destruct) and was able to experience the whole run-and-gun escape thing. I even nearly got Tandi out alive, until she went and stood next to a big guy with a flamethrower. Dummy. Unfortunately, I could never figure out the forcefield computer, so those yellow impassable fields stay up. I'll try a nice explosion

[edit: coupla paragraphs on the Blades vs. Regulators quest removed, it was behaving weirdly but I did it in the end ]

I'm guessing this particular quest will be a total no-go area for my pacifist dude. There just doesn't seem to be a non-violent solution. I've noticed a few similar quests, but thankfully they've all been side-quests - I've been able to sneak or talk my way through all the main quests so far. I'm pleased that I was at least able to get the water chip and save Vault 13 without killing any people (shame about all those animals, though ). From what I've seen of the FEV base, I might just be able to pull that off without any bloodshed. But I'm not so sure about the Cathedral. My overseer pretty explicitly asked for me to KILL the Master, and I'm sorry but I ain't doing it. The Cathedral is probably the place I know the least about, so I'll just have to see what I can do when I get there.

Just in case you're wondering, my violent character has Tandi in tow because a disagreement with her "boyfriend" led to the butchering of everyone in Shady Sands (in self defense, naturally). Perversely, Ian helped me do it. Anyway, I just know she'll be upset if we take her back there to see a buzzard eating daddy's brain.

[edit again]: sorry, I just can't bring myself to post two in a row. If anyone's still reading this, I wonder if I could get an opinion from Fallout 2 veterans? Like I said earlier, my non-violent character is able to get through all the essential parts of Fallout, but unfirtunately has to say "no thanks" to lots of large and lucrative side-quests. I would like to play the same way through Fallout 2 (ie, two games: one violent lunatic, and one non-combative smart guy) - how do you think it compares to the first game in this regard? Do you think there are more opportunities for non-violent solutions, or is the balance about the same? Or worst of all, do you think I'll run into dead-ends in the main, essential quest if I am not prepared to commit acts of violence?
Post Sat Dec 03, 2005 4:39 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

You don't have to kill the Master. With the right skills and some specific items, you can convince the Master to off himself in despair.

quote:
Originally posted by piln
Anyway, I just know she'll be upset if we take her back there to see a buzzard eating daddy's brain.

I'd say that Fallout 2 has more opportunities for a non-fighter and is better balanced than the first game.
Post Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:38 am
cptmaxon
High Emperor
High Emperor

ohh I remeber that, part it was quite amusing watching the master disillusioned and just kills himself, me I would at least taken a pot shot at the messanger.

I've felt fallout 2 is a bitch for non violent char, there are soo many quest that demands brute power, well maybe I'm wrong,but as I remeber it horrigan could only be killed not reasoned with.
Post Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:54 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Well, my non-violent run did involve me tapping him with my irradiated, mutant toe. How was my pacifist supposed to know that he'd have a violent allergic reaction? *cough*
Post Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:33 pm
cptmaxon
High Emperor
High Emperor

you realize you just made me reinstall fallout 2 don't you?
Post Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:33 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

You're welcome!
Post Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:21 pm