Ultima D20 Rules
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Ultima

Author Thread
PlaidDragon
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Ultima D20 Rules

I was attempting to recruit some people to put together an Ultima d20 ruleset on the Wizard's forums but no one seemed interested so I decided to take my business to some Ultima dedicated forums. The overall goal of the project is rather ambitious: to allow D20 player to explore of the world of Ultima in all 3 of its ages (spin-off games included). This, in my eyes, would require a new set of core classes as well as coversions of Ultima's monsters, magic spells, equipment, ect. Anyway, this project being to much for me to handle alone, I was looking to recruit a relatively small but reliable staff. I'd need some people to help compile lists of monsters, spells, ect others to help convert them to d20 rules, and writers who can help me compile the history of Britannia. Once significant progress has been made, playstesters would, of course, be a neccesity. Questions, comments? Post them here or contact me via email at plaiddragon56@yahoo.com or AIM at EtherealShredder.
Post Thu Aug 18, 2005 2:21 am
Enderandrew
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Ultima has never had great stats and mechanics, but you would need the 8 core classes of Ultima. You could use the base classes from D&D for some of these.

Bard - Key Virtue of Compassion
DEX and CHA would be key attributes

Druid - Key Virtue of Justice
WIS and CON would be the key attributes

Fighter - Key Virtue of Valor
STR and CON would be the key attributes

Mage/Wizard - Key Virtue of Honesty
INT and WIS would be the key attributes

Paladin - Key Virtue of Honor
CHA and STR would be the key attributes

Ranger - Key Virtue of Spirituality
WIS and DEX would be the key attributes

Shepherd - Key Virtue or Humility
WIS and INT would be the key attributes

Tinker - Key Virtue of Sacrifice
CON and INT would be the key attributes

You'd just need to make classes for Shepherd and Tinker. The magic system would get completely overhauled, and you'd need to slightly update the skill list.
Post Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:39 am
grogerson
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

grogerson

Are you going to use an already-existing engine (Infinity, Aurora, etc...) or create your own.

I believe the IWD2 Infinity variant might work.

Just an idea.
Post Thu Aug 18, 2005 3:38 pm
PlaidDragon
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

1. Well, there are fighters, druids, ect in both D&D and Ultima, however many of them function differently. And on top of that, the overhauled magic system will invlove some large changes in the character classes. Once the magic system is divised and many of the spells are converted, it should be easy to create the character classes. After magic is divised its really just a matter of picking who gets what skills, and what characters hit dice, saving throws, ect are and adding some special abilities/bonus feats here and there for balance and taste issues.
Also, in addition to the character classes mentioned, there are several classes that only appeared in the age of darkness trilogy. While the first priority in the class system would be the 8 classes you emntioned, I would eventually like to design these classes as well.

2. I'm planning on using Dungeons & Dragons 3rd edition rules, however, there will be a few simplifications to make it more fun to play as well as a number of changes to better reflect the world of Ultima.
Post Thu Aug 18, 2005 4:06 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Well, you could make the arguement that the Shepherd class could be made into the main healer class and that Tinker would be a crafter/rogue like class.
If you'd like help, then I'd be happy to offer my assistance, ideas, etc.

I'd like to see Virtues take a major role in how certain classes act.
Post Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:18 pm
Enderandrew
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

I'm putting together a basic proposal on classes. I'll post it when I'm done.
Post Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:21 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

I can't wait to see your proposal!

The magic system will be a bit tricky. In the later games, it was available no matter what class you were. Perhaps, it could be balanced in certain ways by limiting casting ability of certain classes and incorporating a mana system. So instead of just having to have a certain level of intelligence or wisdom, you'd also need a certain level of mana. And spells would require a set amount of mana.

EDIT: Although, now that I think more about it, the Avatar was the only person who could be any class and still use magic. Perhaps "Avatar" could be made into a prestige class and one has to perfect themselves in all of the virtues to achieve it.
Post Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:47 pm
PlaidDragon
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

For magic i was actually considering 3 different systems. The first one was to simple use D&D style magic (spells per day, the basic spell tier system, etc). The next was a mana system in which you learn new spells and gain MP (mana points) each level and cast spells limited by mana. The last was the reagent system used in the ultima computer games. It might be a good idea to create rules for all 3 systems and then simply allow players to choose which system they prefer and apply it to their campaign.
On The Avatar as a prestige class: I initially didnt plan to incorporate prestige classes or multiclassing at all for that matter, however, i like the idea very much so its something i'll def take into consideration.
Alsom as i said before, i'm looking for a dedicated staff. If anyone's interested please tell me. Maybe once i get a few people we can start an AIM chat room or somethign and have a brainstorming session.
Post Sun Aug 21, 2005 3:15 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Three different systems? Yikes, I not sure I envy you. Although the reagent system shouldn't be too hard. The higher level spells use rarer and more expensive reagents and that limits the casting of those spells automatically. You just have to decide how much reagents cost and how they match up with various spells. Are you planning to just use spells from the Ultima series or are you going to try converting the DnD spells to these new magic systems?

As for attaining Avatarhood as a prestige class, you could create a system to measure a character's overall Virtue much like Ultima 4. You have to become an Avatar of each individual Virtue to attain true Avatarhood. You could also include the Gargoyle Virtues for anyone that might choose to play a Gargoyle. Then a Fellowship prestige class for followers of the Guardian.

Well, I'd love to help on a regular basis, but with school starting this week, I doubt I'll have time. But if you'd like to bounce some ideas around, then I'll be happy throw in my two cents.
Post Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:38 pm