Usergroups
Some Issues w/ Gothic (spoilers)
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - Troubleshooting

Author Thread
Cyber
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

First off let me say that this game is incredible!

Now let me say that this game has some pretty bad bugs. =)

The worst bugs are the quest/mission breakers, where it becomes impossible to complete.
This usually happen when you interact w/ a mission before it's been issued to you as a mission.

BROKE MISSIONS
Example1: While running around I found a cave w/ some new camp guys brewing weed. Curious I entered the cave and had a run in with Jacko. I whipped him and took him items and went on my merry way. Many hours later I was given a mission by a guru to take this camp out so I returned. I told them that I was there to shut then down and after a few reloads I defeated and killed all three men. When I returned to the guru my only option on the matter was I couldn’t find the brewers.

Example2: I was checking out the new camp when I ran into one of the Rice Lords men. He told me to bring water to the men and I replied that he should do this him self. He and the rice lord attacked me and I defeated them and too their stuff. I figured now that the other two rice lords’ thugs were fair game and I handed some smack down to them and took their stuff. From then on I was able to tell one of the RL’s men to bring water to the rice workers.
Later on I was given the task of over throwing the rice lord (by the guy who gives you +5 strength). I proceeded to fight and defeat the RL and his men all over again. Once defeating them the only option was to tell one of the guys to bring water to the men. The rice lord still stood there over looking his slaves.

Almost every other mission I got had some bug w/ it. Some times I was given the mission again after completing the mission (EX: find Nek) or the like.

You need to beef up your QA team and do a complete pass. Don’t play the game as it supposed to be played but as a wide-eyed newbie that’s going to run around and go places he’s not supposed to be at that level. Also he’s going to reload over and over till he defeats foes that he’s not supposed to defeat at that level. Basically you should be trying to break the game.

GRAPHICS:
Beautiful! I have a top of the line computer which I built using the best of the best. I can run the graphics at the highest level at the highest resolution and it’s silky smooth.
Unfortunately my graphics card is a Geforce3 so they’re some graphics that don’t show unless you maneuver the view to where you overlooking the particular graphics (IE: Holding a spell, I can’t see the spell unless I move the camera where I’m looking down on my character. Then I can see the spell in his hand and the effects as it’s cast).
Blood and fire almost always can only be seen for a minute before they disappear. This seems to be well documented so I’ll leave it at that.

OVERALL:
An awesome game that with a patch or two is worthy of game of the year (or several years). As long as the Gothic team is reading these posts and working on patches I’m happy.
Post Mon Nov 26, 2001 11:22 pm
MC_Renzy
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

I know what you mean man. This game has to be one of the buggiest games ever and it gets worse as you progress. I could sit here and write all these bugs out but I dought anyone would read it seeing as it would be 30 pages long. My only advice to you is to save very frequently. Save in a few different slots before taking missions so that when you complete it and the game screws up you can reload from where you first started the mission. Also, very much save when you join up with people in the quest to obtain the 4 magic artifacts. The game can get really screwed up around then so make one save at start and another save while you move along in your quest.
Post Tue Nov 27, 2001 8:26 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

If you have so many bugs that the game is nearly unplayable you should reinstall it! There were reports of people in the German forums who got most bugs fixed.
Copy your saves to another location, uninstall, run scandisk and defrag. Then reinstall.
Another idea is using a different sound provider. Helped me fix the only serious bug I had.
Post Tue Nov 27, 2001 8:03 pm
Cyber
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

LOL- So I'll do this w/ batches of 10 bugs =)

The game is playable so I'm ok for now. I just want to know if the Gothic team is hard at work fixing the bugs.
Post Tue Nov 27, 2001 8:14 pm
artos
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

hi there
i'm playing the Demo for some time(cool game),no big problems ,but when read your
remarks,is it really that bugish?
the Fullgame i mean!
artos
Post Tue Nov 27, 2001 8:21 pm
Cyber
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Yeah it's pretty buggy. None of the bugs I encountered were game killers though and if you take MC_Renzy's advice and save before talking to named individuals and new areas you should be able to avoid them. If somethings seems weird just re-load and retry.

On the flip side this game is sooo utterly awesome that the bugs haven't stopped me from playing 5-6 hours a day. =)
Post Tue Nov 27, 2001 9:03 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Another problem with all those bugs is that they seem to be pretty selective in who they attack.
Cyber has a lot of minor bugs, MC_Renzy has hundreds of problems, I have only a few scipting related problems.

[ This Message was edited by: Gorath on 2001-11-27 16:12 ]
Post Tue Nov 27, 2001 10:11 pm