Usergroups
Worst RPG Ever?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Thorvar
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Hard for me to say... Going back to the old "Gold Box" AD&D games I remember being bored to tears with the second or 3rd one after Pool of Radiance (same ol' same ol'). Also, I didn't care for Might and Magic 7. Recently, Dungeon Seige was a letdown (not sure if it qualifies as an RPG).
Post Mon Jun 17, 2002 2:48 pm
Mattias Kreku
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

quote:
Originally posted by Gig
Soulbringer.

Damn, I hate when people bring up some of my favourites as their worst games
Post Mon Jun 17, 2002 3:59 pm
Mattias Kreku
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

The worst RPG I ever played (that I can remember) is Dungeon Siege. And I have played a lot of RPG's in my time..
Post Mon Jun 17, 2002 4:04 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

DS wasn't much of a roleplaying game though. More of a rail shooter if you ask me .
Post Mon Jun 17, 2002 4:34 pm
Gomez The Mad
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

I admit DS isn't all it's cracked up to be....but come on. Compared to ALL RPG's ever made? Hmm.......different strokes for different folks I guess.
No self control, he just lets his emotions go.
~The Definition of a Madman

=Member of the Flamers' Guild=
Post Mon Jun 17, 2002 5:06 pm
JDR13
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

Finally people are admitting that Dungeon Siege stinks!! I was saying it back when it first came out and everyone was flaming me. DS is nothing but a slash fest.
Post Mon Jun 17, 2002 5:48 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Finally admit? Well, there are people who like DS a lot despite of how you and I are feeling about the game. It got on my nerves after about a week of playing so i deleted it. Bye, DS. But I know a great many folks who thoroughly enjoyed (and still do enjoy) it. It's all a matter of opinion.
Post Mon Jun 17, 2002 5:54 pm
LORD_LSD
City Guard
City Guard

Darkstone or Diablo 2, take your pick.

EDIT: To clarify why, they are not the worst games, just worst games as rpg.
Post Mon Jun 17, 2002 11:44 pm
Gomez The Mad
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

Wow D2 huh? I guess I see your point about it not being a true RPG, but I enjoyed it for a long time. Not at the top of my list anymore though..... If I had to choose another worst RPG besides Betrayel in Antara I would say Heros of Might and Magic: Quest for the Dragon Bone Staff. The only reason I played this game for more than 10 minutes was because of the battle system. There isn't a story, and the fact that there is a limited number of days, plus bad graphics out of battle makes this title unworthy of the PS2.
No self control, he just lets his emotions go.
~The Definition of a Madman

=Member of the Flamers' Guild=
Post Mon Jun 17, 2002 11:55 pm
LORD_LSD
City Guard
City Guard

Thank god (or whatever) for realizing i didn't say why D2 & edited the reason in... It might have been a war declaration.
But as Gomez obviously figured it out allready, the games aren't bad, just that their rpg elements are non-existent - hence: Worst rpg games.
Post Tue Jun 18, 2002 12:16 am
Mattias Kreku
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

quote:
Originally posted by JDR13
Finally people are admitting that Dungeon Siege stinks!! I was saying it back when it first came out and everyone was flaming me. DS is nothing but a slash fest.

It took me this long to admit it because I was embarrassed to admit that I fell for the hype and paid for this piece of.. Microsoft.
Post Tue Jun 18, 2002 1:16 pm
The Dread Pirate
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I think people expected too much out of DS. Out of the box, the game has a one week lifespan. The success of this game will depend upon the mod community. It does have the advantage of being more open ended than NWN, i.e. not locked into the D&D ruleset. Some of the projects the mod community have going look very interesting. I really think this game cannot be judged for another 6 months (The same is true of NWN).

Oh - and worst crpg: any Might and Magic from the last 5 years (Heroes doesn't count).
Post Tue Jun 18, 2002 4:55 pm
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

Because someone brought up Birthright - yes, sure I played it, but not too long

Dungeon Siege - it's not the worst RPG of all times, it is fun game for some time, but certainly not a RPG as I understand them.

And I think that Souldbringer wasn't too bad. Hard to get into, but not too bad then.
Post Tue Jun 18, 2002 5:10 pm
Warmaster-Horus
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

There was this FF clone i played for the computer, it was a port of a crappy game. no story, convoluted magic system, 8 character classes which were all the same

and graphics so bad it made all the glass i ground into my eye afterwards seem positively refreshing

Why must Sony hurt the ones who love it

=Leader of the Horus Heresy=
=Champion of Khorne=
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD SKULLS FOR THE THRONE
Post Tue Jun 18, 2002 6:56 pm
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

Every single post I read since the beginning of the thread had a name blink in neon pink before my mind's eye. I'm glad nobody else put it here because that probably means they were not put through the torture of trying to play it.

More likely though, people just forgot about this game (kindda like we tend to erase painful and unpleasant memories of our past). Per se, this game out of the box does not, by a long stretch of imagination, classify as an RPG. Unfortunately, the box claimed it was. As did the screenshots on the box. Incidentally, I once counted and out of something like 8 screen shots on the box, clearly showing your in-game character in some or other game situation, 1 or 2 were actually possible in the game, since they were screenshots of generic dungeon/outside monster bashing. The rest depicted NPCs and things that just did not exist in the game. In my professional oppinion, the game was released in the alpha stage. Only trader and small number of quest NPCs were put in. There was nothing to do but dungeon crawl. It was buggy, unfinished, boring, bland, waste of my not-so-precious time.

And the name is... *drum roll*

Revenant
Post Wed Jun 19, 2002 11:17 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next