Usergroups
Chronicles of Riddick aka Pitch Black 2
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Books & Movies

Author Thread
Roqua
High Emperor
High Emperor

I saw pitch black twice in theaters and loved it both times. I did look b-movie-ish on tv though. I thought the script and story and themes were all good also. Cronicles of Riddick looks like a step in the wrong direction to me, but I'll still watch it.

I look at pitch black like the movie with the alien and the human that get standed together on a planet and their races are at war. The alien guy gets pregnant and has a kid and the human raises it because the alien dies. That was a great movie also. On the other hand you have sci-fi like Solaris which is dumb (i think).
Post Sun Feb 08, 2004 8:44 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Enemy Mine. I think I saw it when I was something like 8 or 9 and that ant-lion like creature scared the crap out of me for a month afterwards. Then I got scarred for life by Aliens.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Mon Feb 09, 2004 2:45 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

'Enemy Mine' was a very nice story by Barry Longyear; the movie didn't do it justice, however, too much action to capture the spirit of Longyear's work.

The original 'Solaris' from 1972 was pretty good IMO, rather close to Lem's book, too. I haven't seen the remake, though.
Post Mon Feb 09, 2004 3:28 pm
piln
High Emperor
High Emperor

The new Solaris is really nice to look at and listen to, and the story's pretty interesting... but... it's just not told very well IMO, it's incredibly slow-paced but even so it skips a lot of stuff that could have made the characters and situation more interesting and intense. I was disappointed because Soderberg (sp?) is usually really good at telling stories in original ways, but here he spends a great deal of time telling us... not very much.

Some press guy asked George Clooney what he thought about accusations that the movie was "slow," and the Cloonster had a right old rant and basically told the guy he was wrong and his opinion wasn't worth anything. What a nice chap.
Post Wed Feb 11, 2004 5:23 am
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Watched Pitch Black again last night to prepare for Chronicles of Riddick which hits theaters on Friday.

Also snagged a copy of the new Xbox game Riddick:Escape from Butcher's Bay for 25 bucks in the used bin. Amazingly, this is a movie-based game that does not suck. It is a prequel to Pitch Black. It's a 1st person game that has you escape a maximum security prison. This game is so bloody and badass and running at 60fps I am now convinced that Doom3 can be done on the Xbox. The fist-fighting is a blast, stealth elements are also quite nice. The game has no multiplayer and is only 10 hours long though. Certainly will not dethrone Thief as my current fave game. This game is worth a rent though.
Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities…there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars…Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand…to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet. - Robert E. Howard
Post Wed Jun 09, 2004 3:16 pm
Seth
Last Man Standing
Last Man Standing

Did anybody read Robert E. Howard's Conan books? Because I had feeling like I was watching the futuristic remake (more or less) of Conan. His village was pacify - last survivor to his knowledge, most of his life a prisoner or outlaw, and at the end… well let’s not spoil the end.
Post Wed Jun 16, 2004 1:37 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

If it really is a futuristic remake of a Conan-style movie then I think I'll enjoy it even more. I liked Conan in all it's b-glory.

Critics are roasting Chronicles... but really... how can you take a b-movie and make a sort of sequel and end up with anything but a b-movie? Some people... honestly... expecting every movie to be good when the movie desires nothing more than to be entertaining....

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Wed Jun 16, 2004 2:05 pm
Majnun
Village Leader
Village Leader

Pitch Black was a nice surprise. One of the best Sci-Fi movies I'd seen in awhile.

I had high hopea for Chronicle's of Riddick based on the trailer they showed when I saw Dawn of the Dead . And another trailer or 2 they've shown on TV. But then I saw a clip of the movie with spiky armor-plated CGI drawn alien tigers attacking Riddick (I'm not making it up heh). Ugh. I now have medium-high hopes for the movie. If those tiger beasts play as big a role in this movie as the flying aliens did in Pitch Black then I think this movie will be pretty bad. But if they're just in the movie for a few scenes then it could still be fantastic.
Post Wed Jun 16, 2004 2:55 pm
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Well, it was entertaining...but really lame compared to Pitch Black.

Riddick is like a goodguy in this movie. He is also some kinda super being which ruins the mystique of his murderous past from the Pitch Black and the prequel game. And yes, I expected a cheesy b-rated movie. But this movie is a lot cheesier than Pitch Black was. Basically, I think Riddick's character was ruined with this flick.

I think I'll just stick with Pitch Black.
Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities…there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars…Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand…to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet. - Robert E. Howard
Post Wed Jun 16, 2004 5:38 pm
Pepto
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Pitch Black was cool, and Chronicles took it to the next level.

Vin should definitely stick to the Anti-Hero style...I do not know of many actors that could have played Riddick as well as he did

"I can handle anything that life throws at me. I may not be able to handle it well, or correctly, or gracefully, or with finesse, or expediently - but I will handle it. Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well DANCE!!!!!"
Post Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:05 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2