Different packaging, different product?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > X2 / X3

Author Thread
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

Different packaging, different product?

I want to buy X2, but currently don't have enough of a machine to play it. The rolling demo was rather jerky, while the interactive demo crashed my computer a few times and the voices in the tutorial didn't work at all. Technically I'm only 100MHz below minimum spec, but from what I've read here and elsewhere the minimum spec can be reasonably described as a work of pure fiction. However, I'm buying a new machine soon (dependent on Doom 3 and Half-Life 2 release dates) so my current unfortunate situation will eventually pass.

Now the dilemma: should I buy X2 now, or wait until I get the new machine?

As I perused the shelves at my local Game today, I stopped to admire the beautiful matt-black cardboard box that X2 resides in, but was given a nasty shock after relocating to a competing high-street retailer when I spotted a traditional DVD case allegedly containing the same game! "How could such a wonderful and awe-inspiring game be imprisoned within such nasty plastic packaging?" I asked myself. Well, I guess this is the way of things - no publisher will want to use high-quality boxes longer than is absolutely necessary, and as the initial interest in a game dies down the economies of scale take over and (more) mass-produced packaging is introduced.

Buying X2 will set me back £30-35 now, and if I hold off that's likely to drop to £20-25. But then I'll be stuck with the normal packaging, not the ultra-special first release sort.

So is there anything else that will make this decision easier? Does the big box contain anything that the scrawny case doesn't? Is the manual more comprehensive or thicker? Is there a jewel-encrusted map, or a Tunbridge Ware technology tree?

Or do I have to make this decision purely on the basis of money versus shiney thing?
Post Thu Mar 11, 2004 11:33 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

You might want to make certain you're looking at the same version of the game. The US version comes (came? I don't know of new packaging but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist) in a standard "PC small box" (8"x5.5") with a pic of Julian and Saya on the front. Don't know what the recently released European version looks like. Not to mention that I'm pretty sure there are a couple localizations (German?) out there...

My rig struggled with the rolling demo, particular the Boron planet (the green watery city) section. By turning a couple video options off, the game itself runs just fine if you're willing to accept the occasional stutter. Badger might be able to give you a better opinion of the playability of the game on a rig he declared "marginal".

Personally, I'd say it depends on what you have to play right now. If you've got something to keep you busy, wait to buy it. If you're ready for a new toy, give it a go- the performance might be a pleasant surprise. Also, the brand new patch (v1.3) is supposed to improve framerate.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Fri Mar 12, 2004 12:01 am
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

There's a playable demo now with four sectors, so why not give that a go? v1.3 patch improves performance but it will vary with the situation - get into some major cap ship combat with dozens of fighters and I doubt any machine handles it perfectly.
Post Fri Mar 12, 2004 12:59 am
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

Re: Different packaging, different product?

quote:
Originally posted by cfmdobbie
"How could such a wonderful and awe-inspiring game be imprisoned within such nasty plastic packaging?"

Oh my god, how can you say such a thing? The DVD PC Boxes are the best thing that ever happened to PC Games. Cardboard boxes look FAR cheaper and nastier.

Thank yourself lucky that you have the choice. I moved to the US over 2yrs ago and I have had to have the nasty Cardboard PC game boxes ever since.

If you were in my shoes, you would change your mind pretty quick
Post Sat Mar 13, 2004 7:21 pm
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Dhruin
There's a playable demo now with four sectors, so why not give that a go?

Apologies, that's what I meant by an "interactive" demo. I guess my lingo is a bit out of date! Unless there's another demo I've missed? The one I downloaded was 140MB and called "x2demo12setup.exe".

quote:
Originally posted by Chekote
Oh my god, how can you say such a thing? The DVD PC Boxes are the best thing that ever happened to PC Games. Cardboard boxes look FAR cheaper and nastier.

Well, I agree with you about the nasty big floppy boxes that were mostly air and just serve to take up shelf space, but the X2 box I'm talking about is a masterpiece: it's the size of two DVD cases back to back, it has a wonderful matt finish, is vibrantly coloured, and made of sturdy cardboard.

I still haven't made up my mind! With no known extras in the nicer box, it becomes much harder to justify a purchase.
Post Sat Mar 13, 2004 9:28 pm
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

there is another demo version out, im playing one with the installation file named "X2_DemoWorldwide" ... it is 136mb ... IT HAS A FAKE UNIVERSE that you can hop around in plus it has five (5!) tutorial lession sections. i got it at either fileplanet or fileshack, dunno which one.
Post Sat Mar 13, 2004 9:55 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

quote:
Originally posted by cfmdobbie
the X2 box I'm talking about is a masterpiece: it's the size of two DVD cases back to back, it has a wonderful matt finish, is vibrantly coloured, and made of sturdy cardboard.

Sounds a lot like the US standard "Small Box". But I still prefer the DVD style cases. They look so nice when they are all together on a shelf, and it feels so satisfying to have something so efficiently packaged.

P.S. If you like those boxes so much, I would be willing to trade any of the "Small Box" cases I have for DVD cases if we have the same games
Post Sun Mar 14, 2004 4:35 am