HoMM 5 Review @ Pro-G
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Kalia
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

HoMM 5 Review @ Pro-G

Pro-G has the latest review of Heroes of Might & Magic 5. Sporting an 8/10 score, the reviewer says: <blockquote><em>Pace is varied nicely throughout the campaigns, with the first couple of missions typically focussing on combat rather than town management and lasting only a couple of hours. The latter episodes in the campaigns are much more epic affairs, taking place on larger maps, with subterranean dungeons thrown in for good measure, which may take anything up to eight hours to conquer. So with 30 missions in the single-player campaigns, averaging around four hours each to complete, you're looking at well over 100 hours' worth of gameplay for your money; and that's before you even factor in the extensive multiplayer options and the standalone single scenario missions. That's a heck of a lot of game...</em></blockquote>Read the rest <a href="http://www.pro-g.co.uk/pc/heroes_of_might__magic_v/review.html" target="_blank">here</a>.
Post Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:06 pm
GothicGothicness
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Anyone else tired of reviewers who obviuosly didn't spend much time with the game.

He doesn't mention that the game is full of bugs, the multiplayer is broken beyond repair , and the guy who designed the map must have been drunk.

I can't understand how review's keep handing out high ratings to unfinished games, just because they look good.

Please stop!

This is a dumbed down version of heroes 3, with bugs broken multiplayer, and not nearly as good music. D.S. the towns looked a lot better in heroes 3.

Bleh!
Post Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:26 pm
Dr. A

Eh?

I've spent about 6 hours in the game so far and i didn't encounter any bugs. My friend played it for much longer and encountered 1 or 2 minor bugs. Is the game really plagued with that many bugs?

Whst's wrong with the map design?

And how in the world could anything in HoMM 3 look better than HoMM 5? Unless you mean artistically instead of technically. I still like HoMM better though.
Post Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:24 am

Lucky Day

have to ditto that

I wrote an itemized retourt to the last reviewer that insisted it had bugs in the last news post on HoMM V.

this game is great!
Post Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:44 am

niteshade
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

The game does have bugs, but none are really game breaking. The map design is superb, far better then any version of heroes I have ever played (granted H5 also has much better tools to use to make good maps). I have heard that multiplayer doesn't work well though, which may be an issue for some.
Post Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:14 am
GothicGothicness
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

The multiplayer, doesn't work at all! well if you only play it for single player, I can understand that is not a problem.

The bugs are not game breaking but you'll notice ever so often in the action list that the numbers will be wrong ( that is just annoying though ). It also wouldn't boot on one of my machines unless I manually replaced the granny.dll file, and created a few directories, on the other one it worked well though.

You'll also notice that the AI is horrible, I play on heroic and he plays awfully bad. Not to mention the skirmish maps, this is what made heroes 3 last so long!, there are 8 and none of them particularly well designed.

As far as the campaign goes it's acceptable. Of course I meant they looked artistically better, it was beautiful hand-drawn 2d the 3d towns here looks kind of boring.. but of course that is a matter of taste
Post Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:07 am
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

One of the complaints I have with it so far is that there is no editor, which is almost expected with anything but a FPS these days. The community ends up cranking out better stuff than the official often, and create some new trends and style of playing the game. The cursors are lame, and I have had a few crashes but nothing really bad. I like it personally, I think it's a good game.

But then again Im a newcomer to the series, therefore I dont really know the lineage or prior difficulty. I dont think it's too easy, Im getting my butt kicked here and there pretty good

I am a single-player too, so I can see how people who do the multi thing would be bummed, as even glowing reviews tend to mention the MP aspect in less than favorable terms. I havent been able to spend too much time with it, as Ive been moving lately, this weekend I play to put some serious time into it and see what I come up with
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:31 pm
GothicGothicness
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

I'm betting the editor is not included so that they can cash in on an expansion pack
Post Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:35 pm
Lucky Day

thanks for your clarification Gothic.

that seems to be a pretty standard criticism: the lack of an editor and poor multiplayer.

I'm a veteran of the series going back to King's Bounty. I love this game.

With the campaigns I like how the cut scenes are actually meaningful now. Not hte greatest story but its definitely a step up.
Post Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:47 pm

niteshade
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

The numbers on the action bar are wierd. Sometimes they update perfectly and sometimes they don't update at all. It seems that when I load a game it will always be either one or the other until I reload. Not a big deal but mildly annoying.

I would hope that the editor will be released in a patch rather then the expansion. Lack of an editor is not a big deal now, but it was an integral part of the longevity of H3. It will need to be released alot sooner then an expansion.

Regarding the AI, I have no serious problem with it on the campaigns, even for the campaigns where the AI is not scripted. I've heard it's not very good on the multiplayer maps, but that could be said of H3 as well. The only incarnation of heroes where the AI was good enough to bother playing on a board designed for multiplayer was H1.
Post Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:06 pm
GothicGothicness
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Well, there are many bugs I didn't yet touch regarding spells, first aid tents, and so on.

For example try re-animating knight units and after that heal them with the first AID tent voila! you keep all the units after battle... isn't that a fairly big bug? also the first aid tent will stop working after this.

IF you keep checking the spells you'll notice many of them have simular problems.
Post Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:57 pm
niteshade
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

That is a pretty wierd and obscure bug, H3 had a lot of bugs like that when it first came out too. I have more of an issue with the lack of documentation (in the game or the manual)on the effects of spells and abilities. That's the only area I really feel that the game is lacking in comparison to H3.

I'm guessing the reason for the first aid tent bug is because if you have the actual first aid skill it allows the first aid tend to permanently ressurect units. I don't think it was intended to cause temporarily ressurected units to become permanent as well, but I guess that's what it does.
Post Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:26 pm