building a pure mage
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Oblivion - General

Author Thread
Joeman
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

building a pure mage

1. Race: I think Breton is the best race for pure mage in this game.

2. Sign? I conservatively choose mage over apprentice or atronoch. I think the lack of magicka can be a problem toward the end of game since a lot of good spells need 600-1000 magicka to cast. I think atronoch is good for paladin type in this game because of spell absorption but not good for mage type.

3. Bonus Attribute I choose endurance and luck. Luck is very powerful in morrowind, and I have no intention to increase endurance for the rest of the game so I choose endurance.

4. Major Skills

Choices for pure mage:

Alteration, Alchemy, Destruction, Mysticism, Illusion, Restoration, Conjuration.

But I don't think you need both Alchemy and Restoration because they have overlapping functions. Alchemy increases really fast in morrwind and that too might be true in this game. In my game, I have both. For power gamers, I would recommend leaving both Restoration and Alchemy out as major skills. Restoration is used a lot and might cause you to level too fast. Plus it's good to have a frequently used skill in minor in order to get those x5 multipliers. For those two slots, I would choose blade and light armor if I were powergaming.

So far I am level 10. I am having an easy time so far. My biggest fear is that I might have to use my sword. I don't have sword or armor in my game.

Conjuration has been very helpful, especially against multiple enemies.

Because you can't delete spells in this game, it forces me to think twice before buying any spells. I don't want obsolete spells to clutter my spell book.
Post Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:20 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

There was some obscure key combo to remove a spell from your spellbook in MW, so I'm guessing there would be one in Oblivion as well.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:38 am
Joeman
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

quote:
Originally posted by dteowner
There was some obscure key combo to remove a spell from your spellbook in MW, so I'm guessing there would be one in Oblivion as well.

In MW, it was shift and left click.

In Oblivion, there is no way to remove a spell I believe. In elderscrolls forum the question has been asked half a dozen times per day, nobody knows how it can be done.
Post Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:00 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

You've clearly done more research than I.

Just seems strange that they'd forget to implement something like that when they thought of it last time.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:25 am
XmirroR
Village Leader
Village Leader

Another huge glaring consolism...

Seems to me that the Morrowind had a number of 'altered' keys, whether shift or crtl. That made things easier, most are missingnow in Oblivion.

Shift-LeftClick removes inventory... But not spells.

And in Morrowind... Shift-LeftClick dropped/sold all in a stack... and Crtl-LeftClick dropped/sold single irems from a stack.

I am suffering MorrwindMemory fatigue and I still try to affect the inventory using these controls, useless as it maybe be. grrrrrrrrrr. The only concept of 'why to change' a working function I can think of; is that the function doesn't translate to the console. Of course such supposition is the basis of predjudice.

Scripts ( MODs provided by the community ) will eventually fix the ability to remove spells. But this along with about a 2 dozen other frustrations should have been caught by playtesting.

Am I insane thinking every playtester was a sniper marksman? I mean the only uncompilcated way to play this game is as a marksman with excellent sneak skill. Playbalance just seems off with any pure breed mage, melee, or sneak.

Didn't I mention, grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.....

-= XmirroR =-

======================
Post Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:23 am
thartanian
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

I'm making a pure mage also. I mainly try to improve intelligence, willpower, and speed. However, I've been thinking. I wear no armor and carry no weapons. I'm thinking it might be a good idea to invest in endurance that way you get more health added each time you level. Not sure as of yet, but I will probably max out intelligence, willpower, and speed, before I move on to endurance.
Post Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:49 pm
Joeman
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

quote:
Originally posted by thartanian
I'm making a pure mage also. I mainly try to improve intelligence, willpower, and speed. However, I've been thinking. I wear no armor and carry no weapons. I'm thinking it might be a good idea to invest in endurance that way you get more health added each time you level. Not sure as of yet, but I will probably max out intelligence, willpower, and speed, before I move on to endurance.

I don't think you have to worry about endurance, because I rarely get hit. The creature you summon will take all the hits for you.

Another thing I do is to caste slow damage spell and then caste invisbility and wait for them to die.
Post Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:21 pm
thartanian
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

Good to hear. Thanks Joeman,
Post Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:21 am
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

How do you get enough mana? I played through the game with a warrior the first time, and it felt like I evolved at a proper speed(strength/endurance wise), but during my pure mage game I'm having SERIOUS mana problems - I can't see how I'm going to get 1000 mana for the best spells. At this point, my lvl 9 mage has 174 mana, so if I try to use anything heavier than the special wizard spell you get from rank something in the mage guild, I'm out of mana in a few seconds. I end up whacking half my enemies more than I use spells against them, simply because a 19 damage spell won't do against tough enemies.

As far as I can tell, you get 2 mana per intelligence, meaning you can get a grand total of 200 mana + birthsign + item boosts. How that is going to result in 1000 mana for the best spells in the game is beyond me.

I know this for certain - I will never get above 500 mana on my dark elf, meaning he's fairly crippled. I suppose a high elf or breton could get more, but 1000 mana?
Post Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:50 am
Joeman
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

Well, I quit playing this game already because i think it sucks.

Anyways, if you choose Breton, you start with 150 mana already because you get 50% bonus. When you max out your Intellegence, you get 300. You get bonus from your signs.

You will never get 1000 mana, but I think the mana requirement will decrease will skill increase.

Also you can fortify your mana with potions.
Post Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:53 pm
pauk
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Originally posted by Maylander

As far as I can tell, you get 2 mana per intelligence, meaning you can get a grand total of 200 mana + birthsign + item boosts. How that is going to result in 1000 mana for the best spells in the game is beyond me.

I know this for certain - I will never get above 500 mana on my dark elf, meaning he's fairly crippled. I suppose a high elf or breton could get more, but 1000 mana?

You need transcendent sigil stones with +50 mana effect (save before taking the stone, and try again until you get a right effect). Enchant all your equipment with these stones (including wrist irons from the beginning, mages don't wear armor and there isn't any gloves in the game), and high elf atronach gets 850 mana.
Then create some custom spells, fortify int and fortify mana that use max spell points, drink restore mana potions and you can temporarily exceed 1500 mana, enough for a giant fireball spell for clearing any room or killing a bunch of minotaur lords in the arena with one spell.
Post Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:16 pm
Tjvelcro
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Im starting to play a pure mage and I'm wondering if there is any point to wearing robes? Are there any magic ones? I also find that the staffs always run out of charges... so I geuss I could carry multiple staffs around. Also if for some reason I wanted to wear heavy armor my spell efficentcy would really take a hit right?
Post Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:53 pm
maxdamage
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by Tjvelcro
Im starting to play a pure mage and I'm wondering if there is any point to wearing robes?

I'm wondering the same thing too. It's so bad that Bethesda killed the Unarmored skill. As a mage, I really like to run around avoiding hits and avoiding to spend any gold on armor, so I see no point in encumbering myself even with Light Armor.

Another problem, not related to mages, is that the Block skill doesn't help in Hand-to-hand blocking. Also, shields are unusable in fist fighting, though this contributes to realism.

I just have a question: Is it worth to throw away Restoration and/or Alteration in favour of Alchemy? Will it make it too hard in some parts of the game? I'm thinking to spend one Major skill in Mercantile, since I've heard you can open a shop if you're expert. As far as I know, Alteration would only be useful as a picklocking alternative, since it's effects overlap with Alchemy's.
Post Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:29 pm
pauk
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Originally posted by maxdamage
quote:
Originally posted by Tjvelcro
Im starting to play a pure mage and I'm wondering if there is any point to wearing robes?

I'm wondering the same thing too. It's so bad that Bethesda killed the Unarmored skill. As a mage, I really like to run around avoiding hits and avoiding to spend any gold on armor, so I see no point in encumbering myself even with Light Armor.

Wearing light armor affects spell efficiency, eg. you would need 3 flame spells instead of 2 to kill a skeleton, if you wear some light armor component, like gauntlets.

quote:

I just have a question: Is it worth to throw away Restoration and/or Alteration in favour of Alchemy? Will it make it too hard in some parts of the game? I'm thinking to spend one Major skill in Mercantile, since I've heard you can open a shop if you're expert. As far as I know, Alteration would only be useful as a picklocking alternative, since it's effects overlap with Alchemy's.

I would leave alchemy out, since it causes too much levelling up while destruction lags behind, and the game becomes difficult. Alchemy is one of the first skills to reach mastery, even as a minor skill.
Restoration (unlike alteration, if you usually use shield spells) is quite slow to develope, so it's good to keep as a major skill, and leave alteration out (after alchemy) if you need more non-mage skills.
Post Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:38 pm