Has anyone on the forum ever played the game on "iron-m
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread
shrewgirl
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Has anyone on the forum ever played the game on "iron-m

After looking through a lot of posts and playing this game(and whole series) for a long time, I got to wondering, has ANYONE ever played the game on "iron-man" level and got all the way through? On my version you could choose like novice, easy, normal, etc and there was an "iron-man" level and it would ask you if you were sure, cause once your party died in "iron-man" mode it was for real and the game would be over; i.e., you couldn't go back to a previous save, you'd have to create your party all over??? I've never even tried this because each time I have played, I get really attached to my characters...I don't think I could handle it if they died for "real" and I'd have to start all over! Anyway, just curious if anyone has even heard of anyone doing it???
Post Fri Jun 20, 2003 4:28 am
otter
One of Us

Yah, 2 of my finishes were in Ironmode. If you have a Valk you're pretty safe, but i never got creamed so badly that her death-cheating was needed, so i only had one in my first IM party.
Post Fri Jun 20, 2003 4:59 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

No finishes for me, but one of my two Rapax Rifts (I gave up on two parties right around that zone) was an Iron-Man party. I bailed because I didn't care for my crew, so I've never invoked the Iron-Man rules.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Fri Jun 20, 2003 5:10 am
_gator
High Emperor
High Emperor

I have not played ironman myself, but I have read others post about it. There are people over at the VN Boards that play ironman all the time. One person got a 2 character random party on ironman to complete the game. Some people play a pseudo-ironman game because of all the places you can get crushed. They do not officially play ironman, but they do not reload except in the case of a crush. So if they all die in battle then they are dead.

I know my party has been crushed:

in the Umpani Training Course.
in Lower Marten's Bluff by one of the doors between where the Youngers come down from the ship and the teleporter.
in the Rapax Courtyard, I fell through a "hole" that wasn't there.
in Trynton, some Trynnies pushed me off and they fell to their deaths.

I think there were a few other places, but I cannot remember right now.

For those reasons, I will likely not play ironman, but I may try pseudo ironman once I have a few more games under my belt.
Post Fri Jun 20, 2003 1:27 pm
Bilbo
High Emperor
High Emperor

After playing the first time through in normal mode, I decided never to play iron man because of random crushing. There is a whole thread here somewhere called "Riding Wizardry 8 lifts - of DOOM!" (or something like that) which dealt with random death just riding the elevators.

If you do play iron man - you can cheat. You can save the game, backup the savegame file with a copy under another name. And re-copy the backup in case of accidental death. Of course, that is defeating the very purpose of iron man mode.... Playing a pseudo iron-man where you always save and never reload except in cases of accidental dismemberment is easier anyway.
Post Thu Jun 26, 2003 2:19 am
otter
One of Us

lift safety tips

You can survive the lifts of doom: Any time you are on a moving part of the scenery (except the Ovbstacle Course), Don't Move and Don't Look Around.
As for the gap in the rail on the Tree, just make sure no Trynnies are coming when you cross it.
There are a few other places where you can fall off the map or get stuck, but you won't if you stay where it looks like you can walk.
Post Thu Jun 26, 2003 7:45 am
shrewgirl
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

When you played ironman mode, did you have to play "continuously" or were you able to save and quit a day or two and reload? If the game "hung-up" or windows crashed, would your party have died?

As for the lifts, I remember the first time I died in Trynton, It was the first time I played the game and got to that part on the tree where it's sort of boarded up and it says Martin's Pagoda when you read the sign...I thought to myself, maybe its hidden and invisible but there if you "walk" out on "faith"...over 100 hit points damage to all of my players, even the valkyrie died...that was the point in the game where I learned to save OFTEN
Post Sun Jun 29, 2003 5:59 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

The way ironman works is that the game will only save when you exit out of Wiz8. You cannot create your own save games. Your party will have a single save game which you can load when you start and will be updated when you quit. That doesn't require you to play continuously, though.

That makes me think of a question for everyone- down around Marten's Pagoda, there will be a critter flying around in the mist. I got a glimpse of it once and it ID's as a giant bat, although that may just an initial reading (sorta like "bug" turns to "roach" after a round or two in the monestary). Has anyone ever managed to get that critter into combat, and if you have, what's the details?
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Sun Jun 29, 2003 3:58 pm
otter
One of Us

Yah, four times only, out of over fifty games that got as far as the Tree.
It is a Giant Bat. It flew away 3 of the 4 times i got in combat with it. It only bites; didn't hit me, so i dunno how much damage. I also don't remember how many HP it had, but it took my L10 party of 5, (and half-dozen Trynnies throwing their endless spears), 7 rounds to kill it. I don't even know how much XP we got; the battle was extended by some plants that wandered up just as we were killing the bat, and i got really distracted by the Dread Spear dropped by a Trynnie Champion poisoned by the plants.
I'm not sure what attracts it. For a few games, i tried starting Combat whenever i saw it, but it retreated most of the time, or stayed just out of range, so i just stopped even thinking about it.
Post Sun Jun 29, 2003 9:39 pm
shrewgirl
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I remember battling the giant bat also, but it seems I went into combat with it higher up than at the pagoda sign...that was how one of mycharacters got "drained"; which was a pain until I got a renewal potion.
Post Mon Jun 30, 2003 7:04 am
otter
One of Us

Guess i was lucky not to get bit...
Yah, i remember that as being higher, too, like in the corner before the gap in the rail? It was some bend in the walk, no houses around, right?
Post Mon Jun 30, 2003 9:09 am
_gator
High Emperor
High Emperor

Iron-man also saves right when combat starts. If the game would "crash" (or if you would kill the Wiz8 program) while in combat, then the save game would remain.

I engaged the giant bat between where you meet the shaman the second time and another building just along the rail. I had to start combat manually, and I blasted it with some spells. It came over to the rail after that.
Post Mon Jun 30, 2003 1:33 pm
Sonicus
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Good day all! I have not played Iron-man mode but it sounds great! I wish to defeat the game first then experiment with it and try out some things. I too have fought the bat and Vi became drained. That was a pain. Sonicus
Post Tue Jul 01, 2003 3:19 am