Usergroups
How do I uninstall
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - Troubleshooting

Author Thread
glasswalkerny
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I had the Installshield program crash durring installation and now can neither uninstall or reinstall the game... i also noticed that the repair option does nothing and the modify option installs it in my windows directory (i'm running XP PRO. What do i need to do to either completely remove traces of this program or install it again?? Registry entry? Files on hard drive (i think i got them all though).
Post Wed Dec 12, 2001 6:15 pm
MonsterToolSmack
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I was having the same problem, maybe it's an XP thing, but i installed it and noticed it went into my winnt folder and when i tried unistalling it to put it in a rightful folder nothing happened so then i tried manually deleting the files. that didn't work but it did screw things up and i couldn't install it again so i just had my computer do a system restore back to when it was working.
Post Fri Dec 14, 2001 5:30 am

It's not because of winxp I have 98se and I get the same BS; it's because piranha-bytes has half-ass standards apparently.

maybe they assumed it would be so much fun that no one would ever uninstall it??
Post Sat Dec 15, 2001 2:14 am

Luthian
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

How do I have my Computer restore itself to back when it was working like u said? I have the same problem.
Post Mon Dec 31, 2001 5:07 am

Yeah I'm having the same problem, cuz this dude installed it in the wrong drive, so I wanted to reinstall it in a better place, well I couldn't uninstall it, so I deleted it, and tried to reinstall it, but it being stupid and all, it reinstalled it back in the same place, but made it even worse, so now it was sitting in my windows xp folder. so I tried to uninstall it, and guess what, it uninstalled it, well, it got rid of, apparently, the new stuff, but there's still some 16 megs left somewhere and it's still in the registry. Anybody figure out a way out of this yet? *goes to bang head on wall
Post Sun Feb 03, 2002 3:10 am

Simple solution. Back up all your important information, format your hard drive, reinstall you operating system, reinstall all your important information, grab your copy of gothic, put on some heavy duty Vietnam jungle boots, take the game outside, throw it on the pavement, and STOMP THE SHIT OUT OF IT!! BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT THAT BUG-INFESTED GAME DESERVES!!

Hope this helps
Post Sun Feb 03, 2002 7:48 am

Kwitzak
Village Leader
Village Leader

Well i had no problem..I friend installed the game on a wrong drive..I Uninstalled it then i installed it the right place..and no problem at all..

I am running Win XP Pro..GREAT GAME..hehe
Post Sun Feb 03, 2002 8:20 am
Bhaal
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I don't have any problem to uninstall the game. My installation was run succesfully. And now everytime I put the first CD in my drive with the autorun, it ask me to reinstall, repair or uninstall the game.

Post Wed Feb 13, 2002 3:53 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Weed out the corresponding registry key and try again.

Post Thu Feb 14, 2002 1:04 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Yes, delete all Gothic files and folders, run regedit (from run menu of windows) and delete all Gothic entries from two folders:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software

NOTE: Do this only if you are experienced user, you can damage your software installations in registries
Post Thu Feb 14, 2002 2:28 pm
daSource
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

No, the registry-editing doesnt work - canŽt find anything left under "Gothic" or "Piranha Bytes" there.

I deleted everything on my computer that can be related to the game, but still, in "Remove programes.." Gothic shows up, like a f****ng leech!

IŽll write the m.f. that made the game - if they dont find a solution, who will.

[ This Message was edited by: daSource on 2002-02-16 22:49 ]
Post Sun Feb 17, 2002 4:45 am

i use Uninstaller.
Post Sun Feb 17, 2002 5:35 am

Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

I have this entries - just wonder if you deleted them all:

HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwarePIRANHA-BYTES Software GmbH
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREPiranha-Bytes
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREPiranha Bytes
HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionExplorerMenuOrderStart Menu2ProgramsGothic
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionApp Pathsgothic.exe

Use (if you did not did that before) find function in regedit and find everything related to "Gothic" and "Piran*" f. e.

I know that some of them do not need to be deleted, but...
Post Sun Feb 17, 2002 6:48 am
daSource
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Didnt know there was a search-function in regedit - thanx for the info

But, nope, it still wonŽt work. Deleted everthing with the name gothic (except TTF-files and stuff related to the font-style gothic) and piranha.

Shit I wanna plaaaaaaaaaaayy!!
Post Sun Feb 17, 2002 12:09 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Now I really do not know.
I tryed it several times on my PC.
I always have 3 options:
- modify
- repaire
- uninstall
If all these things we recommanded did not work, then there is only one solution (probably very painful), backup all your data...format harddisk...reinstall OS

[ This Message was edited by: Danicek on 2002-02-17 13:16 ]
Post Sun Feb 17, 2002 7:15 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next