Divine Divinity and DX9
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Divinity & Beyond Divinity

Author Thread
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Divine Divinity and DX9

As you maybe know, I was forced to reinstall Windows to remove DX9 Beta, because it caused many crashes in DD and I really wanted to play it.
But now there is DX9 officialy released and I want to install it (I do not know why, but I somehow want to have latest DX, latest drivers ect. :]).
However I am afraid that it will cause also some crashes. So does someone has any ideas about it? Or does someone play DD with DX9?
Post Wed Dec 25, 2002 10:57 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Good god... I NEVER update Direct X unless forced to. It's like playing Russian roulette with one empty chamber. It's like sticking a fork in a toaster without the pleasant tingling sensation if something goes wrong.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Fri Dec 27, 2002 1:29 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Yesj, I know I know, but I really must have everything max-updated :].
Post Fri Dec 27, 2002 4:59 pm
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

Everything need to be updated, yeah, it is like some kind of obsession... . For me, i always defrag my hard disk after every 2-3 days, and every times i repeat the defragmentation 2-3 times to make sure my hard disk is really defragmented.

BTW few days ago i installed Dx9 and ran Divinity for about one hour - no problems at all. But that was on my computer, i'm not sure it will work on your PC, however i bet it most likely will.
Post Fri Dec 27, 2002 5:13 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Remus, thanks for info.
Post Sat Dec 28, 2002 10:19 am
Future Engineer
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I got into DD just a couple of days ago.
The first thing I did was to install DX9 and the latest display drivers.

Seems to be working just fine, with about 10 hours of gameplay passed
Post Tue Feb 04, 2003 11:44 am
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

I have DX9 installed and am playing Divine Divinity right now. I made sure to update the executable with the hot patch.

There are still a few crashes. Sometimes i play for 2 hours and it doesnt crash -- other times, it crashes after about an hour. But my computer is fussy, so it might just be me.

Side note: My computer also is very FUSSY; meaning, it does not like to boot up into windows everytime. It likes to just kind of hang there for a while (dont ask where), or it decides to reboot on its own after 2 minutes of loading. So i have to do my little 'trick' and unplug it in the middle of it booting up, at the part between initialization and operating system loading -- i quickly unplug the thing entirely. Then i plug it back in and it boots up windows just fine. It stays loaded for days and days because i am afraid to shut it down because of this.

Anyway, YES Divine Divinity crashes sometimes on DirectX 9.0. And i have all updated drivers for everything.

P.S. my computer is possessed by an annoying leprechaun.
Post Wed Feb 05, 2003 1:06 am
Future Engineer
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Does anybody know if DX9 still has some strange little quirks lurking around? I mean, yesterday DD crashed for the first time, for no obvious reason. The sad part is that it did this during quicksave. Yep, screwed the savegame... Had to backtrack for about two hours of gameplay... But the strange thing is, when I recalibrated the settings, you know, the display testing with the DirectDraw, Direct3D etc., it gave only about 40fps on 1024x768, whereas before, after the initial installation it gave me around 80fps? What gives? The game itself seems to be running as smoothly as before.

Could Intel Chipset Software Installation have anything to do with this? I installed Intel Application Accelerator before DD, then I did the Chipset SW Installation. Or is this a problem with DX9? Anyone have any insight on this?
Post Fri Feb 07, 2003 6:51 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

No I play DD on DX9 system without problems.
Post Sat Feb 08, 2003 2:15 pm
Future Engineer
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Sorry about that...

Oops... silly old me, I had set the anti-aliasing setting to its maximum from the NVidia control panel... no wonder Took care of the fps, but it still chrashes occasionally... any info on how different system services affect DD? I've gone thru tweaking XP to the fullest (aside from few services I've absolutely no idea what they do). Does DD need, for example COM+ or other? Maybe I'm just "clinging to some scraps" here, but hey, stability, eh?

In any event, from now on, I'm totally anti-anti-aliasing...
Post Fri Feb 14, 2003 9:14 am