Usergroups
JoWood Clarification
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
Stiletto
God Emperor
God Emperor

Did we ever get details on why JoWood is publishing every PB game that they have not even made yet, but aren't publishing Gothic? I know there was the rumor about Egmond holding it up, but is that confirmed? What are we waiting for here people?

Post Wed Aug 29, 2001 5:26 pm
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

JoWood is expanding (and doing good so far). All I know about Gothic and why there isn't an english version yet is hearsay from reliable sources. Apparently, it's about who has the rights on Gothic...

Post Wed Aug 29, 2001 6:08 pm
Garrett

Yes, the rights for Gothic reside still at Egmont, but the Jowood deal is negotiated with Phenomedia, so we have to wait for news there...
Post Wed Aug 29, 2001 8:53 pm
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

BTW - JoWood would be a nice partner for SirTech for the german version of Wizardy 8

Post Wed Aug 29, 2001 10:00 pm
Stiletto
God Emperor
God Emperor

What is Egmond, or Phenomedia for that matter? Lets see, we have PB which is of course the developer. We also have JoWood who is the publisher. So where do Egmond and Phenomedia fit into this?
Post Thu Aug 30, 2001 3:21 am
Moriendor
Black Ring Leader
Black Ring Leader

Well, this is what I gathered from Egmont Interactive's and Phenomedia's websites:

- Egmont is running an own publishing label called "Shoebox". The Shoebox label pops up when you launch Gothic so Gothic's rights obviously lie with Shoebox, i.e. Egmont.
- At the same time Egmont is one of Phenomedia's distribution partners. However, Phenomedia does not seem to own shares of Egmont. They're just partners. That's it.
- Phenomedia apparently holds 100% of the rights for publishing/distributing future PB titles. In fact, Phenomedia now holds 100% of PB shares.

Recommended links (they all have English versions of their websites):
- Egmont Interactive
- Phenomedia
- Piranha Bytes
Post Thu Aug 30, 2001 5:27 am

Hello,
I just like to share this quite little information with you, I received today in the Forum of JoWood:

http://forum.jowood.de/showthread.php?s=&threadid=845

(sort of) translation: I asked there, if someone could tell me where the trouble is. Because the translation of Gothic is complete and english players are ready to play. So there could only be a problem between JoWood, Phenomedia, Pyranha Bytes and Egmont Interactive.

Teut, a administrator of the JoWood forum answered:

'The only thing that missed for the english gothic was a publisher. This one now is found with JoWood and it will be released soon. Because the deal is only some days old, please give some time for the marketing to do their work.'

So at least you know, it WILL be released (soon ...).

Sorry for bad englisch, greetings Thorben Van (aka Alferd).
Post Thu Aug 30, 2001 12:09 pm

Garrett

that's odd for i asked torsten from piranha bytes, if gothic would be published by jowood as well and he said no, because the publishing rights reside with egmont for the original gothic. he also assured this some minutes ago...
Post Thu Aug 30, 2001 1:25 pm

hmmm ... I really do not know, if Teut is a official speaker of JoWood but he IS a administrator of the forum on the official homepage of JoWood and I can't imagine that he is telling nonsens on this page.
So let's wait some more days, perhaps there will be a official statement soon.

Alferd
Post Thu Aug 30, 2001 2:10 pm

Stiletto
God Emperor
God Emperor

Well hopefully Mr. Anonymous is correct... But it has been plenty of days since JoWood picked up all of PB games. I have definately stopped holding my breath, but it would be nice to get an anouncement in a couple of days.

Post Thu Aug 30, 2001 2:21 pm
Lanael
City Guard
City Guard

hey, this can be found on jowood.com :

Forthcoming JoWooD-Titles 2001: PC CD-ROM
Gorasul - The Legacy of the Dragon Q4 2001
Gothic Q4 2001

hum...
Post Thu Aug 30, 2001 8:30 pm