View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
Kiwi Boy
High Emperor
High Emperor

(spoiler) Typos in the translation mod.

Hi everyone,

Xerxes712, Decline, Whailor and I are in the process of compiling a list of typos from the G2a:NotR English translation mod (cothyso et al., see below for full credits), and I have posted my list here. If anyone here find a typo from the mod, please reply with the typo info here.

Since I'm a beginner in English, majority of the corrections are not correct. Please, leave your suggestions here so that better corrections can be made as soon as possible. Constructive comments only please. Phrases like "wrong word", or "you suck" will not help in this case.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Progress: Second pass (i.e. style, cohesion, etc.) up to Rhademes. Almost every line will be rewritten.

Raw data that needs to be proofread

The data is now divided by the speaker's name. Please look over these text files instead of that monstrous list. If you see a percent sign (%), that means the translation is acceptable to me. Feel free to suggest changes to these translations, however.

Abuyin
Alligator Jack
Balthasar
Baltram
Bartok
Bengar
Bill
Bloodwyn
Bones
Brandon
Carlos
Cassia
Cavalorn
Cord
Crimson
Cronos
Daron
Dextor
Diego
Diggers
Edgor
Elvrich
Emilio
Eremit
Erol
Esteban
Farim
Fernando
Finn
Fisk
Fortuno
Francis
Franco
Gaan
Garaz
Garett
Garvell
Greg
Hakon
Halvor
Hammer Pirate, Saw Pirate
Henry
Huno
Juan
Lares
Lennar
Lester
Logan
Lord Andre
Lord Hagen
Lothar
Lucia
Malcom
Martin
Matt
Merdarion
Miguel
Miscellaneous
Monastery Geezers
Monty
Morgan
Myxir
Nefarius
Old Castle Guard
Orlan
Owen
Patrick
Paul
Pedro
Quarhodron
Ramon
Random Bandit
Random Pirate, Random Bench Pirate
Ranger
Raven
Rhademes
Riordian
Samuel
Sancho
Saturas
Scatty
Senyan
Skinner
Skip
Snaf
South Gate Guard
Thorben
Tom
Tonak
Undead Dragon
Upper Bandit Guard
Vatras
Wisp Detector
Xardas

Edith's update: August 25, 2004
~ Reorganized in filename alphabetical order

Edith's update: August 26, 2004
~ Added Monastery, Daron, South Gate Guard, Lord Andre and [Ranger and Xardas]

Edith's update: August 26, 2004
~ Added Pedro, Lord Hagen, Lothar, Old Castle Guard, Lester, Diego, Cord

Credits
  • Original text: Piranha Bytes
  • Translations: cothyso, Gornsbestmate, Draakan, Xerxes712, Spunior, Eloroi, Fallenadi, Dawil, Whailor, Magasun, Lemminkainen

Change Log
  • August 11, 2004
    Added Xerxes712's submissions.

• August 12, 2004

• August 13, 2004
    Converted back to .txt format.
    Site is up now, uploaded list.
    Added Huno's, Fisk's, and Snaf's dialogues
    Deleted Saturas' dialogues since it doesn't seem to follow the correct order. The version before the deletion can be found here
    Re-added a few dialogues for Saturas.

• August 17, 2004
    Certain portion of the list is split up.
    Added Saturas' dialogue
    Added DECLINE's corrections, up to Saturas.
    Added Xerxes712's corrections, up to Saturas.

• August 19, 2004
    Added Cronos', Nefarius', Myxir's dialogue.
    Added Whailor's corrections.
    Added DECLINE's corrections up to Myxir.

• August 20, 2004
    Added DECLINE's corrections, all dialogues
    Added Riordian's, Merdarion's, Quarhodron's, Rhademes', and Martin's dialogue

Note: This is not the final data. I just want to post it here so that people can give me some last-minute submissions. So, devs, please do not do anything right now; I'm not finished yet.

Edith calls for credits, spoiler warning and change log.

Last edited by Kiwi Boy on Wed Sep 01, 2004 2:18 am; edited 39 times in total
Post Tue Aug 10, 2004 10:00 pm
Xerxes712
High Emperor
High Emperor

Corrections: Yes give me more, Please!

Oh no, you are not wasting your time! You are doing a great favor! Believe me, to look over 250,000 words is not fun. It is good for the community to give feedback so that corrections can be made.

Have you sent the list to Cothyso? I can (or anyone for that matter) easily alter the Mod with a hex editor to make quick changes, but I hesitate in case he wishes a more formal correction and tagging so that several odd versions of the Mod do not exist at once.

Once several people play all the way through it and all the dialog options, this is valuable in order to go back and fix the mistakes.

PS Even as we speak, the Dicurric Mod is being alpha tested for functionality with the game.

Please, Kiwi, send any corrections to my e-mail via non-htm ( plain txt is fine) and I can make sure it is put in good hands, and thus acted upon.
Post Wed Aug 11, 2004 2:53 am
Kiwi Boy
High Emperor
High Emperor

Re: Corrections: Yes give me more, Please!

Thanks for your reply, Xerxes712. cothyso is aware that I'm working on this. I cannot contact with him right now as he is on vacation. I just want to post the work here so that GothicDotters could give me pointers for further improvement.

Since cothyso has the scripts, it would be a better idea to send him the corrections and let him do the parsing. After all, my English is not good, so I need someone to read over my corrections entirely to ensure it is correct.

@everyone: Even if you cannot find any mistakes from the game, please, just look over a small section of the list and see if I made any mistakes.

Again, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Post Wed Aug 11, 2004 3:58 am
Decline
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I have to applaud you for doing this.

As appreciative as I am that I am *finally* able to play the expansion, I have do admit my joy was somewhat lessened as I delved further into the game, as it seemed that the translation, though serviceable, got increasingly spotty - particularily among the Water Mages.

I was about to start looking into a way to fix some of the errors myself, but I had no clue how to go about accomplishing this task. That somebody is already a couple steps ahead of me, and that proofreading of the translation is well underway is a nice thing to hear.

Keep up the good work!
Post Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:37 am
Whailor
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

Don't post your list somewhere.. who knows where

Look at the translation mod launch page, or read the "readme.txt" file - there is clearly stated the address, where to report the errors or typos. Posting or sending data anywhere else will only delay the fixes or corrections, if they get even entered at all, because coders have a lot of other things to do as well, other then chase all these lists around the net

Send the data to the address mentioned in 'readme.txt' file, that's the best way and also fastest way to get these changes implemented.
Post Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:30 am
Spike86
Village Leader
Village Leader

Re: Corrections: Yes give me more, Please!

quote:
Originally posted by Xerxes712
Oh no, you are not wasting your time! You are doing a great favor! Believe me, to look over 250,000 words is not fun. It is good for the community to give feedback so that corrections can be made.

Have you sent the list to Cothyso? I can (or anyone for that matter) easily alter the Mod with a hex editor to make quick changes, but I hesitate in case he wishes a more formal correction and tagging so that several odd versions of the Mod do not exist at once.

Once several people play all the way through it and all the dialog options, this is valuable in order to go back and fix the mistakes.

PS Even as we speak, the Dicurric Mod is being alpha tested for functionality with the game.

Please, Kiwi, send any corrections to my e-mail via non-htm ( plain txt is fine) and I can make sure it is put in good hands, and thus acted upon.

Please explain me HOW hex-edit it(witch files) the text of g2
Or how to make a mod just like the english translation of tnotr.

I want to translate G2 in italian for some of my friends.
Post Wed Aug 11, 2004 11:05 am
Kiwi Boy
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Whailor
Don't post your list somewhere.. who knows where

This is my first pass. I will e-mail it to him once the second pass is done. cothyso prefers having the final corrections all in one list. So, I wonder if someone who caught a typo (*) could help put it in my list (I'll put down the credits of course).

(*) It doesn't matter whether I've already found it or not. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

@Spike86:
  1. There's a file called GothicVDFS.exe in the _work\tools\VDFS directory. Open it.
  2. From GothicVDFS.exe, open the mod file, G2aTT-G2TNoTR.mod, from Data\modvdf directory.
  3. Extract everything from the mod file to somewhere else, let's say, the desktop.
  4. From the desktop (or wherever you extracted the mod), open the _WORK\DATA\SCRIPTS directory.
  5. The file _COMPILED\GOTHIC.DAT contains text for things like item labels, quest logs, character names, etc.
  6. The file CONTENT\CUTSCENE\OU.BIN contains dialogue text.
  7. Use UltraEdit, WinHex, etc. to hex-edit them.

If you want to make a translation by yourself, you may want to download the G2MDK with raw data. It contains scripts, etc. for you to do the editing. You may download the MDK from WorldOfGothic.de.

Last but not the least, please, Spike86, I beg you, don't bane this topic off-track. Thanks.

Summary
  • Labels, character names, quest logs: [G2aTT-G2TNoTR.mod]\_WORK\DATA\SCRIPTS\_COMPILED\GOTHIC.DAT
  • Dialogues: [G2aTT-G2TNoTR.mod]\_WORK\DATA\SCRIPTS\CONTENT\CUTSCENE\OU.BIN

@Decline: If you find any "weird translation" from the water mages, please state it here. If you don't remember where, I'm happy to PM or e-mail the water mages' dialogues to you.

@everyone: Here are some phrases I have trouble with. Some of which I cannot understand. Please, help me rephrase them. Thanks.

Edith calls: Thanks to Xerxes712 for rephrasing some dialogues. More phrases may come soon.

Last edited by Kiwi Boy on Thu Aug 12, 2004 1:25 am; edited 5 times in total
Post Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:58 pm
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

u gonna need for sure some more translators if u wanna translate it into italian again there is alot to translate u know even more than only the addon but also g2
Post Wed Aug 11, 2004 1:49 pm
Jackie
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

@Daedalus.Any new engish translating mod??version 1.06??
Post Wed Aug 11, 2004 3:45 pm
DA UNDERTAKER
souls will cry
souls will cry

wow cool stuff you've got there
Post Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:40 pm
Xerxes712
High Emperor
High Emperor

@Kiwi Dialog clarifications.

Spoiler:

"Crates still there?"

Are the crates still there?

"So, tell Franco that Thorus is requiring a new worker. Got it? "

So go tell Franco that Thorus needs a new worker, understand?

"Your plan wouldn't have functioned anyway. The barrier to blow upwith the ore, is the largest rubbish, I ever heard "

Your plan to blow up the barrier with ore wouldn't have worked anyway. It was the biggest pile of bullshit I ever heard.

"(threat) I want to hope for you that my very tender confidence in you is not punished. "

(threat) I hope for your sake what little confidence I still have in you is not completely gone.

"When the earthquakes , we confered, what have to be done next and we have a result."

Because of these earthquakes we confered together to decide what to do next -and we have a result.

"Only Myxir start for Khorinis, in order to support Vatras. "

Only Myxir will head back to Khorinis, in order to help Vatras.

"One more thing: I sent you help. The bearer of this document is something exceptional. He has this glint in his eye whenever he looks at you. I'm not totally convinced yet, but it could well be HIM, even if we imagined him different."

One more thing: I sent you help. The man who brought you this document is quite remarkable. He has this uncanny glint in his eye whenever he looks at you. I'm not totally convinced yet, but it could very well be HIM; even though we imagined him to be different.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by Xerxes712 on Thu Aug 12, 2004 1:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Thu Aug 12, 2004 12:05 am
Xerxes712
High Emperor
High Emperor

DIA_Addon_Fisk_PaketOpen_15_00
I have open your package!
open => opened

#I've already opened your package!

DIA_Addon_Fisk_PaketOpen_12_01
(laugh) that was to be expected! You couldn愒 await it, couldn愒 you?
that => That; couldn't you => could you

#(laughs) That figures! You couldn't wait, could you?

DIA_Addon_Snaf_Attentat_GoWhere_15_00
Tell me at least, where I can the information.
can => ???; I can => can I find?

#At least tell me where I can find the information.

DIA_Addon_Martin_Perm_07_03
Tonight you will be watch properly when I'm gone, understood?
will be watch => will be watching (perferred) or will watch

#Tonight you will be carefully on watch while I'm gone, understood?

DIA_Addon_Quarhodron_GibMirKey_11_09
(half faded voice)But beware. Bear in mind the chambers Adananos'. Or it will be your certain death.
voice)But => voice) But; chambers Adananos' => Adanos' chambers or chambers of Adanos (not sure)

#(faint voice) But beware. Keep in mind Adananos' tomb, or it will be your certain death.

DIA_Addon_Ramon_FirstWarn_07_17
He's the boss of the camp. He's the one to decide about the permissions to enter the mine.
to decide => who decides; not sure if "permission" should be plural in this context.

#He's the boss of the camp. He's the one that decides who gets permission to enter the mine.

DIA_Addon_Riordian_ADW_TeachAlchemy_10_01
You can brew magic potions at the bench. We have on in our dwelling upstairs.
on => it (not sure)

#You can brew magic potions at the bench. We have one in our dwelling upstairs.

OK that is a start. I 'm tired now. I will look over the list (and the original German) more later.
Post Thu Aug 12, 2004 12:58 am
DA UNDERTAKER
souls will cry
souls will cry

they've made terrible mistakes, i haven't even noticed:
good job
Post Thu Aug 12, 2004 1:38 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

quote:
DIA_Addon_Ramon_FirstWarn_07_17
He's the boss of the camp. He's the one to decide about the permissions to enter the mine.
to decide => who decides; not sure if "permission" should be plural in this context.

#He's the boss of the camp. He's the one that decides who gets permission to enter the mine.

"permission" should be singular, I think. At least in German it should be collective singular.
Post Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:10 am
Xerxes712
High Emperor
High Emperor

@Kiwi

There is more on that list than just:
DIA_Addon_Ramon_FirstWarn_07_18
DIA_Addon_Saturas_Hallo_Spott_15_00
DIA_Addon_Saturas_OpenPortal_14_06
DIA_Addon_Saturas_RavensDead_14_06
DIA_Addon_Saturas_RavensDead_14_12
MissionItems_Addon.d / func void Use_Vatras2Saturas_FindRaven ()

Believe me, I am a native English speaker. You may wish to include all the corrections in that list, not just those few. Unless you are still making modifications, of course.

For example, the lab table in dwelling dialog, it is 'one' not 'on'. See my post above. The mistake was leaving out the letter E.

I should correct and send you your complete list with all the corrections in place.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"permission" should be singular, I think. At least in German it should be collective singular.

Indeed it is singular and I corrected for that mistake. It is being used in a singular way. The sentences with # is the corrected sentence. I am not using 'the' permission though. I leave it as 'open'.
Post Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:10 am

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next