Usergroups
Do you like AD&D rulez in RPGs
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

I must say that I do not like character developing in RPGs with AD&D system (such as BG). It is boring, no enough choices when you level up, etc....
How about you?
Post Wed Feb 27, 2002 10:36 am
Joey Nipps
Orcan High Command
Orcan High Command

I agree. I, in general, do not like AD&D rules and never have. D&D (subsequently AD&D) started with a bad idea (not skill related) and went downhill. I suspect they went for simplicity (back before computers took the issue of needing simplicity away) rather than realism.

Post Wed Feb 27, 2002 1:48 pm
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

I guess for most of the Paper & Pencil players the Ad&d rules are mostly sufficient, but for the CRPG players it's far to simple regarding choises and influence IMHO.
The new version 3 of Ad&d try to give you a bit more choises, but still nothing satisfactory for a CRPG game.
Post Wed Feb 27, 2002 2:35 pm
The Hulk
Avenger, Defender
Avenger, Defender

I prefer the skill based advancement(such as in the pen and paper rpg g.u.r.p.s.)over the AD&D system of levels and classes.
Post Wed Feb 27, 2002 6:01 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

I'd have to agree. My favorite system was having skills that improved through use. Although I like how Gothic and games like Ultima 7 had you seek out trainers who would teach you skills. It is definately more realistic.
Post Wed Feb 27, 2002 6:48 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

quote:

On 2002-02-27 12:48, Val wrote:
I'd have to agree. My favorite system was having skills that improved through use.

Yes, I really like it too. Excelent example was Wizardy 8.
Post Wed Feb 27, 2002 6:50 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

D&D has never been focussed on skills because they're so rarely used in the game's ruleset. Third ed gets away from that, but even still most of your skills just end up sitting there. D&D is about the classes. Each class gets different abilities, so is different to play.

3rd Ed multiclassing allows you to mix and match abilities... it even allows you to min/max truly godlike characters (3 levels of Paladin/1 monk/the rest fighter (or a prestige class). Boom. You're done.). However, sticking to one class is still the better option in the long run (though the combo I mentioned will break a CRPGs AI).

In any case, I've been playing D&D in all its incarnations for... oh... 15 years now. Skills were an afterthought.

AD&D in a CRPG does get repetitive. Especially for fighters. You get a few more hit points, you swing a little faster and better. Mages and Clerics and other spellcasters are a different matter.

But I think a true 3rd Ed engine will alleviate that. There are actually choices to make when you level up. However, given its nature (definately designed for pen and paper), I doubt even NWN will utilize a true 3rd ed engine.

Which is a pity.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Thu Feb 28, 2002 1:05 am