Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Help me troubleshoot? Game will not launch...
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Dungeon Siege

Author Thread
Scott_Guest

Help me troubleshoot? Game will not launch...

Hi everyone. I just purchased the game, installed it and when I go to run I get the following message:

Type : ErrorBox
Module : C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT GAMES\DUNGEON SIEGE\DUNGEONSIEGE.EXE
Location : TattooGame.cpp line 934 (at P:\vss_db_tattoo\GPG\Projects\Tattoo\Game\)
Fail Count : 1 (w:0, e:1, x:0)
Exe timestamp: Mar 8 2002 22:34:09

Unable to create or access required directory!

Attempted path: 'C:\\Dungeon Siege'
Error code : 0x00000005 ('Access is denied.')

Any ideas what the problem might be? Stats:

Windows ME
SB Live! Value, Driver 30.37
GeForce 2, Driver 28.32
P3, 864mhz
Directx 8.1

Thanks in advance.

S.
Post Sun Apr 21, 2002 6:41 am

Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Unable to create or access required directory!

This is very interesting. Dungeon Siege saves its saves and temporary files to Document/Dungeon Siege folder. It seems that it is not able to create it. Do you have Document folder, do you have enough rights to create folders (well in WinMe there are not such things as administrators, guests etc. but with some setting and some programs it is possible to change it).
Post Sun Apr 21, 2002 12:37 pm
Guest_Scott

Hmmm...

Thanks for the response. I've tried to put in a documents/Dungeon Siege folder, but to no avail. There are nine or so folders in my dungeon seige program folder, but they all have numbered names (1021, 1030, 1031, etc...) Also, I've tried to configure the video through the DSVideoConfig icon and I get the following error response:

Type : Error
Module : C:\PROGRAM FILES\DUNGEON SIEGE\DSVIDEOCONFIG.EXE
Location : fueldb.cpp line 655 (at P:\GPG\Lib Projects\GpCore\Fuel\)
Fail Count : 1 (w:0, e:1, x:0)
Exe timestamp: Feb 25 2002 12:18:53

You must specify a write home path if you will be saving this FuelDB.

So it appears the problem is wide in scope. I've updated the video driver to 28.32 but without success. I've been attempting to update the sound driver to the latest, but am having a few bumps. I'll keep up the good fight, but would appreciate any additional thoughts anyone would provide.

Thanks again.

S.
Post Sun Apr 21, 2002 7:56 pm

EmperorRob
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

On Win2k systems Ds will save to C:\Documents and Settings\userid\My Documents

That error looks weird for an ME system. Did you send that plus the error code to dsbug@... e-mail? That should not happen.
Post Sun Apr 21, 2002 8:43 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

I found this in Readme:

Dungeon Siege Requires at Least 200 MB of Swap File to Run.
Dungeon Siege requires the Windows swap file to run. If the available memory and swap file size is less than 200 MB you may encounter an error message at startup

Check it.
Post Sun Apr 21, 2002 9:44 pm
Guest_Scott

Solved!

Thanks to everyone for the help. The Microsoft tech figured it out. I had moved/renamed the 'My Documents' folder. The game requires that it be properly named and on the root C: drive. (Why a program needs an already existing and non-system-essential folder in order to play, I'll never understand. It smacks of either lazy programming or typical-microsoft-monolith-do-it-our-way-with-our-folders-or-you-don't-do-it-at-all attitude.)

Other than that, the game now runs great and looks wonderful.

Thanks again.

S.
Post Mon Apr 22, 2002 3:29 pm

Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Hehe, it was first thing I said to you. Read my first post here in this topic .
Post Mon Apr 22, 2002 3:36 pm
Scott_Guest

Slight misunderstanding...

Hi Danieck.

I did read your post, but I simply misunderstood what you were saying. (There is quite a bit of difference between a folder simply entitled 'Documents' and the specific Windows 'My Documents' folder. The 'My Documents' folder has unique properties which, for some bizarre reason, Dungeon Siege requires.)
After reading your post, I created a 'Documents/Dungeon Siege' folder, but was unsuccessful. Apparently I had to 1: have the specific Windows 'My Documents' folder available, 2: make sure it wasn't renamed something else (which mine was), and 3: make sure that it was located directly on the C: drive only.

Still, I really do appreciate the help. I hope this post string will help anyone else who has had the same problem come up. Thanks again.

S.
Post Mon Apr 22, 2002 5:39 pm

Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Reason for my previous post was not to say "I knew it" but to make myself sure how to solve such problem (for future, when someone will come with same problem).

Yes, I know now - I was near, but not near enough. So now we know exact solution and that is good.

Thanks for posting result and good playing experience .
Post Mon Apr 22, 2002 5:55 pm
EmperorRob
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Relying on an existing directory that the game itself does not create is bad logic. On the other hand I have noticed this:

I first played the game as administrator on my Win2K system. I figured "no big deal; I'll just copy the save files to my normal user's MYDocs directory". You can't do it. Not in Win2k.
Post Wed Apr 24, 2002 1:46 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

quote:
Originally posted by EmperorRob
Relying on an existing directory that the game itself does not create is bad logic. On the other hand I have noticed this:

I first played the game as administrator on my Win2K system. I figured "no big deal; I'll just copy the save files to my normal user's MYDocs directory". You can't do it. Not in Win2k.

Yes, it is strange and not good. I have my system on separated partition. This partition is big enough for system and several other things but not for DS saves. And I am not able to force DS to put its saves somewhere else.
Post Wed Apr 24, 2002 6:32 am