Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Anyone played or remember Quarterstaff: The Tomb of Setmoth?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
The Hulk
Avenger, Defender
Avenger, Defender

This is a really obscure and awesome crpg that came out in 1988 for the Macintosh(I was a Macintosh gamer from 1985-1990). It was put out by Infocom(who bought it from a company called Simulated Environment Systems)It was really great for it's time, had some great sound effects, and some decent graphics if you had a Macintosh II. It got a 5 star review(the highest possible)from Dragon magazine. It really captured the feel of a tabletop roleplaying session, especially since more than one person could play at the same computer(up to 4 I think), each person controlling one of the characters(it was turn-based). The 4 characters were an Elven female Archer, a male human thief/ninja type, a massive male human warrior, and a conan type barbarian. I still have the Quarterstaff poster on my wall in my room(that no one recognizes when they see it).
Unfortunately, I can't seem to find any other people who even heard of this game, much less played it and won. There was a pc version in the works, but it was cancelled after it had been 80% completed.
I remember playing this game in a public library on a Macintosh Plus with 1mb ram(which was better than my 512k Mac I got in 1985) they had there and when someone was killed in the game, there would be a very disturbing and haunting scream that would emnate from the computer(even with the volume turned down to minimum), and spook everyone there.

[ This Message was edited by: The Hulk on 2002-02-20 20:13 ]
Post Tue Feb 19, 2002 9:18 pm
HiddenX
The Elder Spy
The Elder Spy

The majority of the computer fans in germany played games on a Commodore Amiga in the late 80's / early 90's.
the best Amiga rpgs were Ambermoon & Amberstar.

Hx
Post Thu Feb 21, 2002 12:46 am
The Hulk
Avenger, Defender
Avenger, Defender

Oh. Guess I need to rely on my fellow American's then to reply to this post. I didn't know the Macintosh did not really make it over to Europe during the mid to late 80's. You have to admit though, the Macintosh at that time blew away the pc, but of course later on the pc blew away the Macintosh because Apple did not encourage people to make games for the Macintosh and this spelled doom for them. Many more companies started making games pc only. That's why I switched to PC in the early 90's.
Post Thu Feb 21, 2002 2:05 am