Author Thread
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

quote:

On 2002-03-14 05:49, Maggot wrote:
quote:

On 2002-03-14 00:44, Danicek wrote:
Do not forget, that he said something about Vi. She will be good second melee fighter.

Yup, but I also said 'until you get Vi and RFS'.... Doesn't really matter, you get Vi really soon.

Yes, sorry, I did not read it carefully.
Post Thu Mar 14, 2002 11:53 am
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

If you go straight ahead for the mines, after picking up the oil for RSF-81(and "Vi domina") in Arnika, you will end up with a level 10 monk among your Level 7-8 characters if you got a full 6 party!
Post Thu Mar 14, 2002 3:17 pm
Maggot
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

's okay. You tried a solo party yet, Danicek? Lords aren't really suited to them, they lack speed, I'd suggest a samurai, monk or ninja. Pump up anything to do with stamina, because you will lose a lot of that when crowded. Pick a female, to get the amulet of stamina (unless you pick a faerie, they can't use it
Post Thu Mar 14, 2002 3:18 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Geuss I will try it one moretime .
Post Thu Mar 14, 2002 3:42 pm

*WARNING* Some spoilers are contained in this message!!

I have a very interesting idea that I will try after I finish the game with my current party.
As far as 1 character parties go. The only really doable option would be a Fairy Ninja, you'd almost have to edit the save file for the CoC from the start in order to survive. Even then your looking at spending a LONG time in the monastary against single monsters using the defend strategy to bring up stealth skills.

My idea is to try starting with an all 6 alchemist party. Different races because my plan is to switch 4 or 5 of them to other classes after arnika or maybe trynton.
The reason I want to do this is because alchemy skill can be taken well over 100 very very easily by just mixing potions in Arnika/Trynton. You make enough money doing this that once you get started you should be able to continue indefinately. If the vendor runs out of the potions you need just camp 2-4 times in a row and they will restock! Not to mention that all 6 alchemist will have a really good chance to produce some potions during the resting!! By the time all 6 characters are at 100+ skill you'll be rich rich rich . Thus you'd be able to purchase many of the alchemy spell books and learn all the spells you might be missing before changing classes later.
It would take weeks of mixing potions, and therefore it will be boring as h3ll but I think in the end it will be worth it. Having all 6 characters that can cast spells, even when silenced! Not to mention that after you change classes they will have all the skills and abilities of their new class!!

Imagine having a Dracon Fighter that can cast his own razor cloak at full power , and heal himself, cast radius effect status effects at 7 power, cast body of stone, etc...
Not only that but if you change to classes that get alchemy (like ninja, ranger...) they already have a starting advantage in their spell skills, allowing you to focus heavily on the melee skills for the rest of the game.

Post Fri Mar 29, 2002 8:26 am

Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Very interesting idea.
But you will need many spell points or practicing in each realm. Am I right?

I suppose it should work and you will have full-value fighters, rangers... at the end + each of them will be very good alchymist. It could be really nice.

But it will only offer you more choices during fights, fight will be little bit more tactical, but you almost do not need combined classes because you need your characters to do what they are supposed to do (fighters have no time for casting, because you need their melee attacks, rangers can not cast spells, because you need their bows/crossbows and critical hits).

As I say, it could be very interesting and it could make your party little bit stronger and your fights more complex and tactical, but it will bring not such a big improvement as it appears it could bring.
Post Fri Mar 29, 2002 10:10 am

I really love to hit the combat button
(which i remapped to the space bar, so i could find it fast) at extreme ball range, give a bunch of rapax firestorm, acid bomb, mind flay, toxic fumes, freeze flesh, and nuke before they even know i'm there. Then i web the ones that get into cone range, and wade through them berzerking all the way. I have 6 chars from W7 who all start as bishops and change to fighter when they get all the nukes, except the fairy, who goes ninja. She casts more damage than she ever threw or slung, so the red ring around C o'C doesn't bother me.
Post Sat Mar 30, 2002 3:46 am

Fwang Thunk
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Easiest Party so far (and by easiest I mean stomping through the game with the least resistance)- arrange a broad front line so everyone but the bishop and ranger can attack with melee weapons:

-Hobbit Thief as a tank (thieves rock in W
-3 Liz Fighters
-Mook Ranger - w/ giant sword later on
-Bishop w/ mage and divine books (later dabbled in psionics too)
-With Vi and R2-D2 along along for the ride (Vi, often against her will, damn can she complain!)

This party was incredibly tough and fast to play because I wasn't messing with much magic.

But, I did have every spell I needed: soul shld, elem shld, ench blade, armorplate, missile shld, magic shld, x-ray, even chameleon (which you don't really need, but it's builds up the earth realm). But, it got to be a bit boring because you need magic for the game to be tactical. It was just too easy.

My current party is all hybrid - no pure fighter or spellcaster. It's more challenging and battles take much longer because you have to use more tactics and magic - plus they start weak. Everyone is lvl 18 now and they're cleaning up.

Post Mon Apr 01, 2002 3:09 am

Danicek

In reply to your comments about my 6 alchemist party.

You only get 10% of your realm skills when it comes to learning spells so it is much more important and useful to increase the alchemy skill. Once you have 100 skill in alchemy the only thing keeping you from learning spells would be the characters level. Plus having 100 alchemy skill makes most of the realm spells able to be cast at 3 power and still be in the green.
So basically this means that if you have 'any' realm skills at all (and when your playing 6 alchemists from the start you will have) any spell you want cast in any realm will be very easy to cast at a high power level.
Did any of that make sense?

The reason I think this makes an UBER party is because status ailments are king in this game. Alchemists are the masters of cloud spells and have many status ailments available. Rather than having my fighter types try to shoot bows during the first couple rounds of combat I can have them casting some really sick area effect status clouds and area damage.

Imagine starting all fights will the following random party where all 6 started as alchemists:
Fighter casts Noxious fumes at power 5,6,or 7
Samurai can cast Fire bomb or fireball
Ninja can cast Toxic cloud
Alchemist can cast death cloud or drain cloud
Mage can cast Firestorm
Priest can cast web, paralyze, death, etc...
Other spells like itching skin aren't very effective but can be substituted for enemies with high resists to the spells above.

And remember the enemy is still outside of melee range. It would be very difficult for all the enemies to avoid all of the many different spells and status problems. By the time they close to melee range they've lost a significant amount of health and are most likely going to have reduced attacking ability due to the ailments. Then its easy to mop up since I have strong fighter types.

By the way, this strat has been working amazingly well!!! I'm currently still mixing potions in Arnika but the character that I plan to keep as alchemist throughout the game is casting whipping rocks at about power 5 and he's level 8!!! I can wipe out entire groups of savant guards rather quickly. He already has alchemy over 100, so he will be able to make canned elementals as soon as I find the fire/ice bombs.
Starting out is quite difficult however, surviving the monestary, arnika road, and arnika with 6 alchemists is EXTREMELY difficult. But if anything goes wrong I just reload .

Give it try, I think you will be surprised!! If all 6 alchemists scares you to much try with just 4 alch. and 2 other types, and remember to pick the races by what you plan to switch them to later. Just be careful not to pick a race that has negative bonus...

cheers
Post Tue Apr 02, 2002 9:37 am

Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Good article.

Ok, I will add alchemyst only party to my list: "what I should try in Wizardry 8" .
Post Tue Apr 02, 2002 9:50 am
Shadow_Fyre
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Try all female, all one race (human, faerie, and hobbit come to mind)

For all the Masochists try a party of six lizardman bishops on expert.

Post Thu Apr 04, 2002 6:13 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

6 lizard bishops on Expert difficulty, ROFL, nice tip
Post Thu Apr 04, 2002 6:17 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Perhaps we should start a tips for pure disaster thread.

Post Thu Apr 04, 2002 6:36 pm
Maggot
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

I think we've covered most of the pure disaster scenarios
Post Thu Apr 04, 2002 6:44 pm

Thought I would give an update on my 6 alchemists party.

I just changed their classes today. They all just levelled to 18 (be sure to take spell picks first before changing class!!), so they can cast all the alchemist spells!!

I changed:

1 hobbit to thief
1 hobbit to samurai
1 faerie to ninja (CoC is already equip'd)
1 elf to priest
1 dracon to fighter
1 faerie stayed alchemist

I haven't gone very far into the story yet, which is my only regret. I spent a LONG time mixing potions and increasing spell skills. They all use staff/wand or daggers as weapons which was what they had from the start. So my dracon fighter is slighty gimped in damage, BUT he is very fast with the dagger and makes up for it with multiple hits.
The samurai and thief just kick way to much butt . I think I will switch the samurai to sword though, even though he has no skill in it yet. And in 5 more levels the samurai will start to learn mage spells too! (maybe sooner, not really sure how the multi-class thing works out yet)
The elf took up priesthood as if born to it. He prays well and when he doesn't... well a quick quicksand spell makes up for it heee hee heee.

Some things to mention that haven't been said.
1) NONE of the races have a negative starting bonus when starting as an alchemist! So you can pick whatever race you like, which is good for class switching later.
2) If your going to switch to a hybrid class that also gets alchemist spells do it around level 10-12. If you wait till 18 you miss out on some helpful skill develop. You'll still get all the spells but it will take a little bit longer. But if you're switching to a class that does not get alchemist spells don't do it until 18 so you get all the spells.
3) save those early spell picks!! Most of the first 3 or 4th level spells can be purchased or found early on. Don't forget to camp 3 times in a row to force vendors to restock if they don't have what your looking for. Do it as many times as it takes if its an item you know they sell. Sometimes they won't carry it until you reach a certain level though, so if your below 10 level maybe do some levelling first.
4) don't be shy with your sticks and daggers! Believe it or not alchemist are good melee fighters if you let them be. But like all skills they must be used in order for them to be of use.
5) pick your weapon for each character before leaving the monestary. You should be able to come up with just about every weapon type in the monestary, you may not be able to equip it though. Try to use a weapon that you can at least use as a secondary later in the game if you can't use the weapon you would like. For example, since alchemist cant use sword, maybe use a dagger for the guy that you will switch to fighter later. Then, when you do switch, you can put the dagger in the second hand and sword in first hand. The skill you gained with dagger while you were young will counteract the duel wielding penalty and allow more swings and better hits.
6) use those spells like crazy! Don't conserve magic points, its easy to just camp and get them back. Besides you will want the skill points for learning the better spells sooner. In fact I recommend using spells that do not do damage but cause status problems more than once in each fight.

cheers
Post Fri Apr 05, 2002 7:12 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next