Usergroups
update graphics card ?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
muffluver
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

If I have a Trident cyberblade i1 AGP (77) Do i have to up grade to play this and if so what should i upgrade to... I have a laptop compaq 1200t with 312 ram ... I can play other games that say they need the same vid cards and i can play those...operation flashpoint (for example)....any info would be great

edit: If you open masses of new threads in the wrong forum, then at least choose understandable subjects. Gorath

[ This Message was edited by: Gorath on 2002-02-12 06:59 ]
Post Tue Feb 12, 2002 7:13 am
Credence
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Id get rid of the trident and go with an ATI or nvidia videocard (id recommend ATI because i hate nvidia, but its up to you)
i currently own an ATI Radeon 64 mb DDR and it runs gothic just fine (besides having to disable fog)
If you're looking for a cheap sollution you cna get Nvidia Geforce 32 mb's pretty cheap, just have a look around, if you're looking for higher class cards
then id go with the Radeon 8500 or Geforce 3 ti 500

Because everything is what it seems to be,
and the balance is the end of eternity
Post Tue Feb 12, 2002 7:23 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Your PC has fast CPU enough RAM but Graphic card is bad.
So you should upgrade it.
There are 3 possibilies:
- nVidia (GForce2 GTS (not expensive), GForce3 (new, expensive))
- Radeon (some poeple thinks nVidia is better some Radeon)
- Matrox (best 2D quality, but not so good in 3D (games))

I personaly suggest GForce3 300Ti. If you have more money then GForce3 500Ti. But 300Ti is easily and withough danger overlockable to something like "450Ti".
Post Tue Feb 12, 2002 7:45 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

A notebooks´ graphics card can´t be replaced!
All you can do is update your drivers and pray.
If I were you I would try it with updated drivers & DirectX, then return the game and buy it again if the demo runs properly.

For a normal desktop system the guys are right. If you have to buy now buy either Radeon 8500 or GeForce3 Ti 200.
But waiting one or two months would be a wise decision.
Post Tue Feb 12, 2002 12:56 pm
WHITE x CHOCO
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

for pcs card listings are liket his
the new nvidia geforce3 ti 200 outperforms most all of the Radeons and when it didnt it was a little. THey have been seen for 120 and the Radeon that outperformed it by a little was 300. Geforce 2mx 400 are also very good and cost about $50. Dont bother with the new geforce4's yet and teh geforce3 ti 500 it barely outperformed the 200 and costs loads more.....
Post Thu Feb 28, 2002 5:08 am
OctU
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

A Radeon 8500 w/ the newest drivers is superior to any GeForce3 Ti 200 card, and competes directly with GeForce3 Ti 500 cards.

As of today, pricewatch.com lists a full Radeon 8500 RETAIL Box, with DVI, TV and S-Video out, for around $160. A GeForce3 Ti 200 card is around $130 for retail box, and doesn't have nearly as many features, either. And the GeForce3 Ti 500 is going for a whopping $260 for retail box.

For $30 more, the Radeon 8500 is a MUCH better bang for the buck than a GeForce3 Ti 200. I have owned many types of both Radeon and GeForce cards, and I've found that the 2D and image quality of the Radeon engines are also typically superior to nVidia's.

[ This Message was edited by: OctU on 2002-02-28 17:32 ]
Post Thu Feb 28, 2002 10:37 pm
antagonistix
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Indeed the radeon 8500 rocks ! the image quality and colour vibrancy far outweigh the 2FPS difference the GF3ti500 may have.

I run Gothin at 1600x1200x32 maxed out and its smooth as silk - very well priced too.

Post Thu Feb 28, 2002 11:26 pm