Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Are there any MMORPGs which don't make you pay for the box?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > MMORPGs General

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land

Ah well, one can hope. Actually, I'm not sure if it's my cup of tea yet. So at the end of the month if I'm not enjoying it I simply won't enter my details - much neater than entering the details up front and then you cancel but they don't stop billing and so on.
Post Sun Mar 30, 2003 12:01 am
Pinnen
Wearer of the Hat
Wearer of the Hat

That´s true. But you´ll never know what they have in store for you. Things like adresses and such can easily be found out by their agents you know.

CrossTopicBaner
Post Sun Mar 30, 2003 5:22 am
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

Are you telling me that your first MMORPG experience is AC2 ??!!!?? That is sad. AC2 represents the worst in MMORPGs, in the opinion of just about everybody... but i guess if you have nothing to weigh it against it might be ok...

EDIT -- but i CAN suggest some upcoming ones for you (nothing out currently is much good -- all the good ones are upcoming):

Star Wars Galaxies, HORIZONS, Warhammer Online, Middle Earth Online, Planetside (mmofps), et cetera... SWG is very new user friendly, as is HORIZONS...

EDIT #2 -- not to be mean-spirited, but the guy that started this thread is cheap... there, i said it, but its true, lol ....
Post Sun Mar 30, 2003 5:49 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Actually, Dhruin played with my guild during the ATitD beta.

And it isn't nice to call people cheap.
Post Sun Mar 30, 2003 7:05 am
Dhruin

@Ammon: As Val mentioned I played ATITD which I quite enjoyed but I haven't played a "traditional" MMORPG before. It's not "sad" - I still think a classic SP game is better .

As for AC2 representing the worst, you then go on to say "nothing out currently is much good". I picked up AC2 to see what a MMORPG might be like and because all the SP games I'm interested in have been delayed - the list of upcoming MMORPG's might be outstanding but it doesn't help me now . Besides, despite all the fuss you can't tell how good SWG will be until it's released. I can think of plenty of games that were good on paper but it just didn't come together.

I picked AC2 for one simple reason - it's just about the only one on the shelves down here! But I did recall Ekim's review gave it 80-something (which isn't bad and I trust him) and that it's newbie-friendly. That's me. I am interested in Horizons so this is really just a test-drive experience.

What would you have picked?
Post Sun Mar 30, 2003 8:48 am
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

i apologize for calling you cheap. i didnt mean for it to be so derrogatory. i should have made it clearer. all i meant is that when some people (not you) claim that MMORPGs are so expensive, i will call them 'cheap' because they dont count their blessings. these games could be a lot more expensive and i believe that eventually they will be, unless they enter the mass market. but these games are cheap right now. i mean i pay $80 a month just for internet access. $80 is a lot. i just bought a computer for $4000. thats a lot too. but these MMORPG games only cost $12.95 a month. thats as much money as maybe a meal for two at mcdonalds, or as much as it costs to see a 2 hour movie. and thats for a whole month. so thats my line of reasoning, sorry i said you were cheap but you were asking for a FREE game.

as for the MMORPG game i have picked out, i havent picked anything out. i am playing a few single-player games right now -- waiting for those games i mentioned above. i am not currently playing any MMORPGs right now because i am not happy with any of the current offerings. and i have tried them all. i am a very experienced player and i know what the good ones will be, despite whether or not they are out yet or not. i know whats good and whats not. they dont have to be immediately playable for me to know that they are worth the money or not. i am aware of all the concepts with these kind of games because i have played them all. anyway, i am not scolding anyone or anything, just saying that i have done my research and i know what is going to be HOT and what is NOT HOT, hehe. AC2 hasnt been recieved very well by people like me because its not all that great imo. they really messed up. i liked the original AC a ton better, i played it for about 6 months straight, hehe

anyway, i hope i didnt offend you too much with my lack of tact, lol.
Post Mon Mar 31, 2003 12:17 am
Dhruin

I didn't start the thread so you weren't calling me cheap. But I understand your point and I certainly don't mind paying a fee for something I get enjoyment from.

I'm still interested in an answer, though. If you were in my shoes and AC2 is such a bad choice, what would you buy?
Post Mon Mar 31, 2003 12:30 am
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

To answer your question, i would have gotten Dark Age of Camelot. It might not be perfect, but i would rather play DAOC than AC2. One of the big reasons that i find AC2 so hideous is the fact that it is so shallow. Also, in DAOC you can defend your realm from its enemies, and that specific kind of team-based player-versus-player conflict appeals to me. But in my view AC2 is another pointless xp treadmill. DAOC is also a pointless, tedious xp treadmill, but if i had to choose from among all of the games available right now it would be DAOC. But i am too picky for even DAOC so thats why i am waiting for what i view are the various far better mmorpgs that are soon to come.

EDIT -- oh my goodness, i forgot the other good one! so here is the real list:

Star Wars Galaxies, HORIZONS, Warhammer Online, Middle Earth Online, Planetside, and (missed, last, but NOT least) Dragon Empires!
Post Mon Mar 31, 2003 12:52 am
ShadowWolfe
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Location: In the northern mountains of the western continent.

quote:
Originally posted by Provis
Asheron's call (the original no expansion) and Anarchy online are both free downloads aswell.

Provis Anarchy Online isnt free the price 19.00$USD is hidden in the activation.
just though i'd let anyone interested know.

and people asherons call 2 is supposed to be alot better now that it has been updated alot ... and the pretty graphics are almost enough of a selling point. Plus microsoft wont let one of their babies really "die" in a heap of smoking garbage.

.: Amd XP 2700+
.: Geforce FX 5900 Ultra
.: 1024mb DDr pc2700
.: 120GB UDMA 7200 RPM 2MB WD
.: 2 LG LCD Screens @ 19" Viewing
Post Mon Apr 07, 2003 1:52 am
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

Did they replace the entire skill system?
Post Fri Apr 25, 2003 11:43 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2