City of Heroes: Paragon City Hall closes
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

City of Heroes: Paragon City Hall closes

<a href="http://www.rpgplanet.com/cityofheroes/" target="_blank">Paragon City Hall</a> the largest fansite for the upcoming MMORPG City of Heroes, closes shop: <br><blockquote><em>As the oldest continual City of Heroes fansite it took quiet a bit to come to the decision to close down Paragon City Hall. After continued clear signs that this game is headed in the wrong direction, we can no longer support it in good concience. We want to thank everyone who has supported the site over the years and wish them luck in the future.</em></blockquote>Hm.
Post Fri May 16, 2003 8:43 am
Sevia

If you scroll down their webpage you can see half a dozen articles lavishing praise about the game and even a T-shirt contest.

Also, 15 minutes before the post explaining the site was coming down, a favorable E3 preview can be seen...

Fans are fickle which is why online games are mediocre. Artists, coders, people with creative talent make the mistake of listening to the no-talent public.

Guys and Gals, make the game you evision, people will pay and play.
Make the game the "fans" whine for, welcome to mediocrity.
Post Fri May 16, 2003 8:50 am

albatross
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

That is probably the most idiotic response I've seen in my many years playing games. I mean the one from Sevia.
Post Fri May 16, 2003 9:54 am
beasty396
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

CoH failed with its new producer/designer ...

The game was drastically changed. I lost interest in it as well.
This is what I posted on the game's forum ...

"I am very disappointed and can understand the shut-down of the fan sites.

From a game who claimed to allow the largest amount of versatility ever designed for an online game, it is now reduced to puny class / level based game, with shockingly few option for character creation. The "Tanker" class blew my head off in pain.

We all noticed that a new guy took over 4 month ago and made some new order, but you have to tell that guy that he has ruined the game.

Count me out for now.
Its a sad day for the online gaming community."
Post Fri May 16, 2003 10:48 am
Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

ok so the SITE is dead but the game is still going on right?>
Post Fri May 16, 2003 1:28 pm
chrisbeddoes

Now it is a class based game ?

Ha ha ha !

Pity . Pity .Another mediocre try.

BAAAXXX. My opinion . All the newcomers are dead . Only Star Wars will survive.
Post Fri May 16, 2003 9:50 pm

Am I supposed to be grateful that only Star Wars will survive. Think I'll give up gaming, and computers, right now.

What is the point of declaring that the game isn't going in the right direction without another word of elaboration?
Post Fri May 16, 2003 11:56 pm

beasty396
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

SWG is hardly the only candidate MMORPG that remains for us to wait for.

If I may rank these games according to my anticipation ...
First tier: SWG, WoW and EQ2.
Second tier: Horizons, maybe still CoH (if they return to the original design)
Long run games: Imperator, Mythica, Matrix, LOTR, D&D, WarHammer

And thats when I am excluding the PvP games ... like LineageII and DragonEmpires. Well PvP is not for me ...
Post Sat May 17, 2003 10:23 am

Who knows how COH will ultimatly turn out, but with everything that they did to it I really just had no interest in continuing to run the site. More specifically running the site for another year or two that it will take to get the game out now that they've basically scrapped the whole design and started over. It's funny someone above talks about how I was giving all these positive reports, becasue the the PR director for the game actually emailed me to tell me I had an attitude problem and to drop it or I'd be shut out. (That was on the afternoon before I closed the site btw, before the changes were announced). Generally I tried to keep the news opinionless, and I'd keep my personal feelings in the forums, which I did quiet often and frequently, and apparently pissed them off a whole lot. lol

Anyway, the game is just a flat race/class/level game that's had every feature already pillaged from it years ahead of release, theres almost nowhere for this game to go but down right now.
Post Mon May 19, 2003 5:16 am

Chrisbeddoes

quote:
Originally posted by beasty396
SWG is hardly the only candidate MMORPG that remains for us to wait for.

To wait for ok . But to pay 13.95 $ per month

Yea . There is a recession . People are trying to find a way to cut expenses not to give to GREEDY execs more money .

Get real . We can always play Diablo 2 .
Post Mon May 19, 2003 8:22 am