Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Catastrophe! IMPORTANT NEWS - PLEASE READ CAREFULLY!!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Absolutely Off Topic

Author Thread
DzD
Unknown
Unknown

Jericho, to bad, that will never happen. Since more then half of the swedish people with internet access downloads movies, games or anything similiar.
His latest, a hit
Cuz the Little One's a mystery to me

Written by - dteowner
Post Wed Nov 20, 2002 2:54 pm
Jericho
Chicken?
Chicken?

Not sure it is that bad.. but its a problem yes..
Well.. The part about the movies, doesn't bother me much since most of the films made today is lousy anyway.
But when I suffer in the way that I get fewer games to choose from and with not satisfactory quality on the games i buy, then it bothers me!
Feel free to call me a egoist or self-centered or whatever but thats the way I feel.

Never argue with the insane. They will only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
And according to Lintra it is contagious

Quote from Val to Jericho: "You're an evil little cat, you know that."
Quote from Dhruin: "*Sigh* If only I was as perfect as Jericho"
Quote from Mr Roach: "We all wish we were perfect as Jericho"
Post Wed Nov 20, 2002 3:18 pm
Entropy
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by Val
Please, they couldn't limit people no matter how hard they may try. If they really could limit people Mac and Sun would be out of business and Linux wouldn't exist. And kindly name me one working stiff out there who doesn't want to get paid.

Palladium is only the last of Bill's attempts to be THE BUSINESS, and the most promising, too. - Do you really think M$ will "certificate" any of his actual competitors to run on palladium Pc's (ALL of the forthcoming generation of Pc's)??? -

quote:
Originally posted by Val
I don't see anyone pointing a gun to your head and forcing you to use Windows. There are a variety of other software products (some free) that you can use instead. Personally, after working tech support for so long, I don't mind seeing a majority of users (especially stupid ones) using similar platforms. It makes things easier on developers (and me when troubleshooting what they did to their computer) of other software products. They don't have to worry so much about making their software work with tons of other software. Developers for consoles have it easy.

Perhaps I simply don't know, but (only for example) Gothic runs on Linux? And Morrowind (don't say Xbox, please )? Is planned a Linux version of Gothic2?
You see that Windows (just in case you want to play, and not only work, with the Pc) is a forced choice (a no-choice).

quote:
Originally posted by Val
Then go vote and quit stealing.

Yes! Please Yes: Bush Govt => U.S. Antitrust Buffoon => Gates Clean and untouched
But with the last electoral results I don't see it in the nearby future
http://www.rpgdot.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=92727#92727
Post Wed Nov 20, 2002 3:45 pm
ButtOfMalmsey
Village Idiot
Village Idiot

Whine, bitch, and moan all you want. Microsoft has never been accused of being competent. Why are you scared about a conspiracy headed by the people who invented the XBox, the biggest money-losing game system of all time?

I'd be more concerned if Sony was doing this, to be honest. Or the oil companies. Or someone whose success hasn't been merely a function of good luck and agressive marketing (although I think that a Nike-headed conspiracy would bring us all to our knees). The fact is that we know nothing definite right now. The damn thing isn't even out there yet.

And even if it is, it can't take away my guns, my books, or my freedom. So although I accept that even paranoids have enemies, I'm going to stay just slightly back of the bandwagon. And just like Val, I think that piracy is more than partly to blame for this state of affairs.

I saw this in a movie about a bus that had to SPEED around a city, keeping its SPEED over fifty, and if its SPEED dropped, it would explode. I think it was called, "The Bus That Couldn't Slow Down."
-Homer Simpson

=Member of the Non-Flamers Guild=
=Member of The Sixth House=
::Captain of the Black Company::
Post Wed Nov 20, 2002 7:17 pm
Jericho
Chicken?
Chicken?

The oil-companys.. now THERE you have a conspiracy! What about that guy who invented some new kind of engine.. would have revolutionized everything and been great for the enviorment.. Somehow shortly after his discovery he mysteriously vanished.. supposedly dead..

And dont you think it is strange that noone has come up with anything better than gasoline in all these years? .. and why money isnt spent on developing a better battery for electric cars.. or better engine for them.. no there is definitly a conspiracy here.. I'm just not sure if good ol Bill has something to do with this too

Never argue with the insane. They will only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Post Wed Nov 20, 2002 8:07 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

quote:
Originally posted by Entropy
Palladium is only the last of Bill's attempts to be THE BUSINESS, and the most promising, too. - Do you really think M$ will "certificate" any of his actual competitors to run on palladium Pc's (ALL of the forthcoming generation of Pc's)??? -

With the DOJ breathing down their necks and Microsoft wanting to improve their imagine, yes, they will.

quote:
Perhaps I simply don't know, but (only for example) Gothic runs on Linux? And Morrowind (don't say Xbox, please )? Is planned a Linux version of Gothic2?
You see that Windows (just in case you want to play, and not only work, with the Pc) is a forced choice (a no-choice).

It's called common sense, developers make software for favorable markets where they will make some money. It's been proven with Mac. The more people who use Linux as a platform, the more developers who will make software for it.
You are not "forced" into anything.

quote:
Yes! Please Yes: Bush Govt => U.S. Antitrust Buffoon => Gates Clean and untouched
But with the last electoral results I don't see it in the nearby future

BUSH FOR 2004!

@Jericho: Let's keep it to one silly conspiracy per thread, shall we?
Post Wed Nov 20, 2002 9:40 pm
Jericho
Chicken?
Chicken?

Hehe.. sorry.. guess I got a little carried away..

Post Wed Nov 20, 2002 9:56 pm
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Well said Val & xSamhainx.

Regarding Gothic on Linux (and apart from Val's argument) - is it fair that I need a Sony PS2 to play Summoner 2? I should be able to buy a cheaper Panasonic PS2 - or better yet the government should break the monopoly and force Sony to make it for my PC with BeOS. Bah!
Post Thu Nov 21, 2002 1:07 am
Gerad
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Goodie someone starting conflict with me I nothing better to do so I defend myself!!!

As I said before if I didn`t pirate a game I would not have bought it. though pirate is such a harsh term lets call it copy. (I doubt there is anyone here who hasn`t copied/pirated a game at some point)

Take for example the last game I copied a mediocre title called delta force 2 the game was alright but I have tight budget.

Believe me under no circumstances would I have bought that game!!! but since I could get it for free fine

I find it entertaining when others tell me what I would do!!!!!
Sorry but the only one who knows that is me!

This new system is a venture by mircosoft, software and music companies to have more control over the product the goal of all corporations. This new system has less to do with piracy and more to do with what can and cannot be done on the system.

As it's said control of access is power by denying options you are denying power and keeping it for yourself. This helps to perpetuate mircosoft's monopoly.

Though I will secede piracy does having something to do with it however thats not the only reason. A bit of misstatement on my part I`ll admit.

BTW as of yet the US gov does not offically consider mircosoft a monopoly
as far as I know.

Why defend mircosoft anyway????? It no fun defending the big guy
GO FOR THE UNDERDOG!

Believe me though if there was a real ALTERNATIVE to windows I would use it!!!! without windows there is no use of the PC. Windows is the computer one and the same unfortunately. In this modern world use of a computer is a necessity and thus is windows.
Post Thu Nov 21, 2002 12:51 pm
ButtOfMalmsey
Village Idiot
Village Idiot

Gerad, you are a thief and a fool without even a child's understanding of the economic costs that your actions and the actions of people like you inflict upon the consumer. Beyond the strictly economic concerns, there are also the moral concerns. For a kid without a job to steal games is one thing; I used to think like you did. Then I woke up and did the math.

Feel free to continue your indefensible policy of stealing. But if you're going to tell everyone about it, you cannot protect yourself from criticism by falling back on the tired old saw that we don't know you. We know enough to know you're a thief. You admitted it.

So you can't afford every game you want? And I'm supposed to pay the price for your theft? I suspect that if you continue in this vein, you will have a long and prosperous career in welfare fraud, identity theft, and grifting. I wish you the greatest of success.

I saw this in a movie about a bus that had to SPEED around a city, keeping its SPEED over fifty, and if its SPEED dropped, it would explode. I think it was called, "The Bus That Couldn't Slow Down."
-Homer Simpson

Post Thu Nov 21, 2002 6:44 pm
DzD
Unknown
Unknown

quote:
Originally posted by ButtOfMalmsey
For a kid without a job to steal games is one thing
So it's ok for me and every other kid I know to steal games? No offense, just wondering, since I'm a kid. Or maybe you should rewrite that.
His latest, a hit

Written by - dteowner
Post Thu Nov 21, 2002 6:55 pm
ButtOfMalmsey
Village Idiot
Village Idiot

quote:
Originally posted by DzD
quote:
So it's ok for me and every other kid I know to steal games? No offense, just wondering, since I'm a kid. Or maybe you should rewrite that.

No, it's certainly not OK. But in most countries you have to be 14 years old to be criminally liable for felonies. So it's irrelevant.

And there is your lesson on the criminal law.

-Homer Simpson

Post Thu Nov 21, 2002 7:07 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

quote:
Originally posted by Gerad
Goodie someone starting conflict with me I nothing better to do so I defend myself!!!

You are attempting to defend a postion which is not defendable. It's rather amusing watching you sink yourself.
quote:
As I said before if I didn`t pirate a game I would not have bought it. though pirate is such a harsh term lets call it copy. (I doubt there is anyone here who hasn`t copied/pirated a game at some point)

Copy? Bull$#!+. You are stealing. Have the balls to at least admit to your crime.
Btw, I have never pirated software.
quote:
Take for example the last game I copied a mediocre title called delta force 2 the game was alright but I have tight budget.

So what? You don't think I have a tight budget as well? I still buy my games.
quote:
Believe me under no circumstances would I have bought that game!!! but since I could get it for free fine

I'm not going to bother repeating myself kid.
quote:
I find it entertaining when others tell me what I would do!!!!!
Sorry but the only one who knows that is me!

Read Malmsey's statement above.
quote:
This new system is a venture by mircosoft, software and music companies to have more control over the product the goal of all corporations. This new system has less to do with piracy and more to do with what can and cannot be done on the system.

It is a company attempting to protect their product and they have every right to do so.
quote:
As it's said control of access is power by denying options you are denying power and keeping it for yourself. This helps to perpetuate mircosoft's monopoly.

*yawn* Do I really have to revisit this point?
quote:
Though I will secede piracy does having something to do with it however thats not the only reason. A bit of misstatement on my part I`ll admit.

Misstatement? How about lie?
quote:
BTW as of yet the US gov does not offically consider mircosoft a monopoly
as far as I know.

That's because we have this thing called due process. Innocent until proven guilty. Perhaps you've heard of it?
quote:
Why defend mircosoft anyway????? It no fun defending the big guy
GO FOR THE UNDERDOG!

If I have the choice of defending a whiny little thief or a legitimate company that is trying to protect their interests, I'll defend "the big guy" tooth and nail. Why? Because in this case, "the big guy" is right.
quote:
Believe me though if there was a real ALTERNATIVE to windows I would use it!!!! without windows there is no use of the PC. Windows is the computer one and the same unfortunately. In this modern world use of a computer is a necessity and thus is windows.

Again, you are the only person limiting yourself. No one has forced you to do or use any type of software. So quit acting like some spoiled child who can't take responsibility for themselves. You are not a victum. Those whom you have stolen from are victums.
I've used Linux for a couple of years now. So no, I won't believe you.
Post Thu Nov 21, 2002 8:26 pm
DzD
Unknown
Unknown

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by DzD
quote:

No, it's certainly not OK. But in most countries you have to be 14 years old to be criminally liable for felonies. So it's irrelevant.

And there is your lesson on the criminal law.
Well, if my littlebrother do it then? He is 11.
His latest, a hit

Written by - dteowner
Post Thu Nov 21, 2002 8:51 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

No, your parents would be liable then.

Last edited by Val on Thu Nov 21, 2002 9:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Thu Nov 21, 2002 9:15 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 13, 14, 15  Next