Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Eye Patch. Er..did I do that joke already?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Badger
Stripey Forest Dweller
Stripey Forest Dweller

Eye Patch. Er..did I do that joke already?

Hi All

I am hoping that I might be able to tempt you into a round of "Help The Technically Challenged Badger"

I went to apply the official Patch for Morrowind, and it won't run.

It gets to about 17% and then it comes up with the following error message;

"Old file not found. However a file of the same name was found. No update done since contents do not match."

It does not give me any clue as to what this file might be, except that when I click on "OK" the patch installation seems to have jumped to about 33% and has reached;

"Processing Data File Morrowind.bsa" (don't know if that's relevant though)

I tried deleting and reinstalling the program and applying the patch to the virgin installation, but I got the same result. I was relieved that I was able to put my save game back in afterward, so at least I don't have to start again.

So, that's it. Can anyone tell me how to make the patch work?

Thanks all

Badger.

PS: I don't have time to wade through all the posts here in case someone already answered this... but I did have a quick look and found a mention of there being more than one official patch. I did not know this.. do I have to have these other patches and apply them sequencially? Good Lord.. headlines: "Badger in sensible question scandal!"
Post Tue Jun 25, 2002 7:43 pm
BearishSun
City Guard
City Guard

Do you have morrowind in your registry? if not be sure that patch is Bethesda/Morrowind directory before running. Also you might have corruped exe file or you are using a CRACK. if you are try downloading different exe files from internet
Post Tue Jun 25, 2002 8:06 pm
BearishSun
City Guard
City Guard

This is the only patch! there is no other older patches, only alot of plugins which cant effect patch install
Post Tue Jun 25, 2002 8:08 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

I had the same error message too - perhaps it's because I have a Euro version of the game and the patch is for the US version. It's just that in my case the patch DOES work despite the error message.

I simply ignored the message - perhaps because the software I do support for at work does about the same when first installed . During the first installation you get three error messages but all you have to do is ignore them - the real problem is explaining this to the terrified user!
Post Tue Jun 25, 2002 8:24 pm
Badger
Stripey Forest Dweller
Stripey Forest Dweller

Thanks BearishSun. At least I know there's only one Patch now.

Jaz.. that sounds good. But do you remember there being a long pause after you ok'd the error message? When I ok it the patch has got to 33% and just stays there. After about 2 mins I gave up and aborted it. But the processor was ging like a goodun.. I just assumed it was stuck.
Post Tue Jun 25, 2002 9:12 pm
Freakie
The Noble Demon
The Noble Demon

Ahhhhh same problem here; I got the messges to and pressed ok, and he intalled it good, but by the intsall it waited 5 min on 33% and after that it was like 90% so just wait..

Gothic II Credits
Post Tue Jun 25, 2002 9:21 pm
Ariel
Harmonious Angel
Harmonious Angel

Aye, patience my friend, patience. At 33% the patch processes a pretty large file and that takes its time.. Go do something else in the meantime, and when you come back after several minutes, everything should be fine.

I got no error messages btw, other than the one with "not enough disk space". I've got the US version though.

Meow...
Arhu
Post Tue Jun 25, 2002 9:33 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Badger, I don't remember a long pause because I usually go away and do other things when Werner* takes too long to install something. So regarding all the other answers here I take it you'll be fine after all.

Post Tue Jun 25, 2002 10:17 pm
Mattias Kreku
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

quote:
Originally posted by Jaz
Badger, I don't remember a long pause because I usually go away and do other things when Werner* takes too long to install something. So regarding all the other answers here I take it you'll be fine after all.

Erm.. the norse god's name is Thor (or Tor)..

Anyhow, one of the files the patch processes is 300 Mb large! Even with a fast computer that's bound to take a few minutes. I think you just have to wait for it. Unless you already did.

(And that is why Microsoft always has that little blue bar that keeps filling up everytime you do something time consuming. It's called User Feedback and helps the user to understand that the computer is indeed doing something worth waiting for)
Post Wed Jun 26, 2002 12:37 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Tsk tsk Mattias, Thor is the Norse god of thunder - yes, the one with the hammer - while Tyr was the god who enabled the others to catch the evil Fenris wolf by putting his hand into its maw as a token. He lost his hand in the process... call that heroic .
Post Wed Jun 26, 2002 5:58 am
Badger
Stripey Forest Dweller
Stripey Forest Dweller

Thankyou everyone, the patch DID install.

I gave it another try and just walked away from it as you all suggested and when I came back it was ready.

It made a difference too! I never really had that much of a problem with framerates. I am not inclined to check some figure to see how many screens per second or some such I am getting. to me the game is either playable or it's not and it was.

But I don't need a frame count to be able to see that things seem smoother overall, so I am very pleased. I notice also that there is a dificulty slider? Its already at half way though, which at the moment is challenge enough for those of a stripey disposition.

Thanks again for the help, and thanks Mattias and Jaz for the the Mythology. I love Mythology, especially Norse. But my motivations here are not lofty I'm afraid. I grew an appreciation of it from reading "Thor" from "Marvel" Know what?.... sometimes I still do!
Post Wed Jun 26, 2002 6:41 am
Mattias Kreku
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

quote:
Originally posted by Jaz
Tsk tsk Mattias, Thor is the Norse god of thunder - yes, the one with the hammer - while Tyr was the god who enabled the others to catch the evil Fenris wolf by putting his hand into its maw as a token. He lost his hand in the process... call that heroic .

Oh, you're right. I got my Norse gods confused.. Sorry!

But to my Defence.. Oden (or Odin) is the REAL god of War in the Norse mythology. Tyr was just some little one before Oden entered the arena.
Post Wed Jun 26, 2002 2:28 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

No need to be sorry Mattias! I didn't mean to turn this into a debate about mythology anyway - we might continue this in OT some day though. Like, 'what do Indra and Vajrapani have in common'*?
Post Wed Jun 26, 2002 3:07 pm
Badger
Stripey Forest Dweller
Stripey Forest Dweller

Er.... is it that they both sound like theycould be bought from an Indian Takeaway?
Post Wed Jun 26, 2002 6:41 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

LOL!
In fact the Vedic rain god (and lord of the skies) Indra later transformed into the Tibetan Tantrayana-Buddhism bodhisattva Vajrapani. So what they have in common is - they're basically the same guy, just in different historical and geographical eras/areas.

V. is krodha though, an angry-looking deity, while Indra is quite a peaceful-looking fellow... and I have an Indra sitting on my shelf but I never managed to get a Vajrapani statuette ... ramble ramble...
Post Wed Jun 26, 2002 7:57 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next