Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Please help. One question on 5x multipliers please...
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Oblivion - General

Author Thread
andrewv
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Please help. One question on 5x multipliers please...

Is any of this correct, or am I totally wrong? Please help me with these couple of questions, as I had to restart the gameall over after 40 plus hrs, because my stats were too low, and my level was too high. I was very mad, and I really want to get this right before I start a new game.

The way to do it is to gain 30 skill levels, 10 skills in each, and it doesn't matter if they're major or minors. Is that correct?

Only difference is Majors will level you, and minors can be taken down with long stays in Jail.
Is that correct also

From what I understand, nothing is locked until you gain 30 skills total for one level.
Is that correct?

Or can you only have two 5x multipliers per level. Maybe it's 20, I can't remember.

Can someone here clarify please?

So 10 skills in Destruction will give you a 5x/Willpower

10 skills in Block will give you 5x/Endurance

and 10 skills in Light Armor 5x/Speed

TheMann777
Posted: Mar 27 2006, 09:40 PM

In Morrowind it was that 10 skill levels = 5x multiplier.

I think it is the same for Oblivion.

Major skills will advance your level, minor skills will play a part in the stat multipliers, as you have said.

And I think you can have 3 5x multipliers per level. Maybe I am wrong, though...

Also, any further skill progression multipliers are applied to the next level. Is that correct?

I hope not, because that would make this even more confusing. How can you keep track of skills that will carry over to the next level, or when you go to your next level do you count the skills that leveled up after you locked on the first level from 1 again?

So let's say sneak got raised 7 levels after you locked your stats for the current level. How do the skills you gained after they lock for the current level apply to the next unlocked fresh level?

Will just 3 more skill raises in sneak after you level up lock for Agility come your new level?
Post Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:06 am
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

I think Oblivion's levelling mechanics are a lot simpler than they may seem. They're very similar to Morrowind's, except Bethesda closed the exploit I always used to power-level my characters. Curses.

I haven't seen any real technical details about it so far, but I believe this is how it works:

Whenever you use a skill successfully, you get closer to getting "better" at that skill. When this happens, the skill goes up by one point, and the skill's controlling attribute is logged as having an improvement against it.

When you gain a total of ten improvements in your major skills, you gain a level. At the point of gaining said level, the attribute bonuses are calculated and stored to be used when you go through the level-up procedure.

Ten improvements against any attribute will net you a 5x bonus. So for example, if between level 2 and 3 you had ten improvements against Agility, when you sleep and level up, Agility will have a 5x bonus. If you used lots and lots of minor skills, and gained 100 improvements against an attribute before getting your ten major improvements that get you the level, those 100 improvements translate to a single x5 bonus, and nothing gets carried over to the next level.

Note that when you get the tenth major skill improvement and qualify for a level-up, the bonuses you've accrued are fixed for that level-up. You start accruing bonuses for your next level up at that point, even if you haven't slept and gone through the level-up process.

How's that?

So to get yourself three 5x bonuses each level, it's best to get nine improvements in major skills, then stop and do some calculations to work out how many more points you need in each attribute you want to increase, train up enough minor skills to get you the 5x bonuses you want, then get your last major skill improvement to trigger level-up.
Post Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:39 pm