Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
A new rpg, by some really hardcore gamers.
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Absolutely Off Topic

Author Thread
Christos
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

A new rpg, by some really hardcore gamers.

Hey guys. My name as you can see is christos. This is my first post under this name but not on the boards. I had a name a while back, I think it was Xristos. I haven't posted in a while but I have been reading. I do have some news though. It sparked from all the talk you guys made about independent developers. A while back, I formed a team of people to create a game. We all loved rpgs so we decided to work on one. We bought the garage games Torque engine and got away cracking at this game. I just wanted to put down some design ideas that we have been working on so that you guys can see what we are making and offer some input. You guys are probably some of the most hardcore rpgers out there so I figured you would be the best for this.

OK here it is.
Lets start with the type of game. It is originally starting with a single player game that will phase into an MMorpg (stick with it, I'm not crazy!). What I mean is that, we are first making a single player component to get the game mechanics down and maybe act as a long tutorial.

The backround is under a fantasy setting but advanced in years. All the races (humans, elves, dwarves, minotaurs and a few more) have advanced enough to leave earth(or their version of earth). Now one usually thinks future and automatically thinks guns. There are no guns though. there is a reason for that but that will be in a version of the backstory that I will post (its long).

ok now that the type and backstory (kinda) are done Ill get to the gameplay.

We are working on a quasi realtime-turnbased approach to the game. Every "class" has its own way to fight. we are against the "click-an-icon-till-it-dies" approach. For instance, if you play as a mage to cast a spell you will need spell components to mix during the casting and an after effect on your mouse. For instance, If i cast a levitating spell while my avatar is casting I have to add the correct spell components(this wont be a twich based thing). After I cast the spell correctly though my mouse will have to direct the object i am levitating. So if I circle clockwise it will rise. A swordsman will have a turnbased/realtime approach. Its kind of hard to explain how its going to work but I will try my best. I will give you an example. When you enter combat with another person what happens is you each take turns doing moves on each other....but to do a move one needs to draw the "shape" of the swing on a flat plane. in front of the player. Both players can see the shape. There will be 2 stances though. Offensive and defensive. In offensive stance you will be trying to deal damage. In defensive mode you will be trying to draw counter attacks to get into offensive mode and avoid damage. the time limit to do a move though is not unlimited so you do have to think on your feet a little. There are more types of fighting but I will only talk about those two in this already long post.

we are taking a no level approach to this game. we want player skill to determine a battle. but there will be skills that can be gained by quests and so on. Also, you do not learn the battle swings on your own. Some one has to teach you them. By someone I do not mean your friend. More like a grand master at a certain area. He/she will be an npc that will see you Pseudo-stats and decided wether you can learn a skill or not.

THere is a lot more to this game. If anyone wants me to elaborate I will. I will post some concept art a little later but I will answer any questions. I want this game to be community built. Also, I dont want to come here and seem like I'm selling a game. I don't want to sell anything to you guys. I just wanted some input to this game that i have been pouring my heart into.

Also, I want to say that I regret not having posted on this site more. I would love to make friends like you guys here. Hopefully something of that can start. Thanks for any input (good or bad).

The game currently has no name. any suggestions are welcome as well
Post Mon Apr 12, 2004 11:17 pm
Korplem
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

The sword fighting sounds fun.

P.s. Roqua will hate it so try to ignore him.

-The Prince of Nothing
Post Mon Apr 12, 2004 11:45 pm
Christos
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Ill keep that in mind. Thanks!!
Post Mon Apr 12, 2004 11:48 pm
piln
High Emperor
High Emperor

Sounds interesting. Good luck with it, and do keep us posted!

I like the sound of the sword-swing system too. Kinda reminds me of Die By The Sword (but more practical - DBTS was a great idea, but a little difficult to control). I also would have liked Arx Fatalis to use something similar to their rune-drawing system for making sword swings... anyway, I've long been fond of ideas like this, it should be much more satisfying than a simple click/keypress attack. I hope you are successful with it.
Post Tue Apr 13, 2004 12:44 am
MageofFire
Griller of Molerats

Sounds cool, but I'm not sure I like the sound of the combat. Still, I'll have to wait and see what it's gonna be like. Keep working!

Mediocreties, I absolve you!
Post Tue Apr 13, 2004 12:49 am
Christos
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Im glad you guys are liking the sword system. That is one of the most important features we want to complete. Number one on our list is to make the game a lot more interactive than what we have come to know. Especially in terms of battle. If you guys see any potential downfalls though, please feel free to speak out.
Post Tue Apr 13, 2004 12:53 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Sounds interesting. Good luck with the project.

But why the heck did you post this in AOT ?!
Post Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:04 am
MageofFire
Griller of Molerats

Maybe it's because he's new.

Mediocreties, I absolve you!
Post Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:10 am
Roqua
High Emperor
High Emperor

The combat sounds interesting. Would you discribe the drawing aspect as being like Arx Fatalis's magic system? Is it as unforgiving? DOes my personal skill matter? Or only the dicisions I make and the skill of the character I play?
Post Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:29 am
Christos
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

@Roqua

you could describe it as somewhat like arx fatalis's magic system but its much different in practice. For instance, in arx fatalis one would have to draw multiple runes in order to get one spell out, For this system every "rune" would be a swing that you would perform. but also you would get a response from whoever you were fighting. As for if its forgiving or not the answer is that it progressively gets more unforgiving as you open up the new, more powerful, moves. for instance an easy swing could be done every time. While a high mastery move would require you to be alittle more careful.

For your question about skill, it requires mostly your personal skill level at the foundation. For instance, you would have to be able to recognize some swings so that you would be able to block them and so on. But there are skills you can pick up to make yourself better. For instance you could spend some time developing a skill called body development. This would make your body stronger and better at withstanding hits. So to answer your question, its both.
Post Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:56 am
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life

Sounds very interesting and original which is even better. Could you give us more detail on how offensive magic will work. Let's say I want to cast a traditional fireball type spell, how would it work? Second question, do you have your own website for it yet?

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Tue Apr 13, 2004 2:25 am
Christos
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

its a little hard to answer your question with a straight answer so I will explain to you the example you gave me. while in battle you would cast the fireball spell by clicking on the fireball icon. Now, while your mage is chanting you need to put in the correct components to make the spell work. so for fire ball we have, as an example, 2 components. Fire weed and dry sand. at certain times during the cast you will need to add the components in (you will get a visual/audio cue). now after the spell you need to direct the fireball. we are currently looking at a few ways to direct it. what we currently have is that you draw a circle on the floor with your mouse and that is the area of effect. The larger the area the more spread out the damage and vice versa.

Also I know that it seems that the mage might be over powererd by the quicker fighter but really thats not true. The mage has an assortment of protection spells that can help him out in battle. we have high hopes for the mages in the game.

Also, unfortunately we do not have a website yet. We are working on a flash based website that will hopefully be up very soon. we have a very talented person working on it and from what ive seen from her it should be really cool.
Post Tue Apr 13, 2004 3:14 am
Roqua
High Emperor
High Emperor

The game sounds good. I really like the idea of a SP game leading into an mmorpg and have wondered why no one has done this. I will play the single player game but I doubt I'll play the mmorpg. MMORPGS are so far removed from reality that I don't see how anyone could find them intersting, or say there is roleplaying in them. If you can't die you can't be a hero. Courage, stupidity, and honor can not exist in the world of an mmorpg in my opinion.

But a sp game can be directed, and the players have purpose and motivation. I am interested to find out how you guys explained the space travell technology without projectile weapon technolgy (besides bows and magic I'm guessing).

I would really like to see a game not strive for balance. All balance does is make all the choices presented to you the same in the end, but with a different look and style. I want unbalance. I wanted real choices and tradeoffs. And I don't want damage over time to equal out.
Post Tue Apr 13, 2004 3:59 am
Christos
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

hmmm....well, we need a certain level of balance. For instance, in morrowind a spell could be made (by drastically increasing your intelligence) that would kill every single being on the island that was outside. now that is unbalanced. Yes it offers you choices but in the end what good does it offer? I think that balance is needed to keep gameplay fun. But i agree with you that a lot of times to "balance" something developers remove or "nerf" certain characters. Its going on in every major mmo right now. I am really against that.

Roqua, I really think that you would like this mmo just because we arent making it into a monster romp. We want story and we want heroes. For example we want our world to live so high level mages can make new spells, and we are planning to help instigate major wars against certain groups. We want quests that include groups of players and quests that are made by players. We want mayors of towns and thiefs robbing you. We know that it is very ambicious but to us, its worth it. I think one major downfall right now is the lack of emotion towards your character that mmorpgs bring out. But thats a whole other long topic
Post Tue Apr 13, 2004 4:17 am
corwin

Unfortunately, without balance, much of a game can become pointless. If only one character is viable, why bother investing time in different characters, either when creating a game, or playing it? If one character is much more powerful than an other, who would bother with the other? Balance is the art of making the wimp a viable character by offering choices during play that enable them to 'win' the game. True, it may be more challenging for a wimp, as it should be, but that in itself is a part of balancing a game.

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Tue Apr 13, 2004 4:18 am

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next