Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion officially announced
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion officially announced

We just received a mail from Pete Hines at Bethsoft, which was sent out at the time when the Morrowind site was updated with, well, nothing much, really (more on that after Pete's mail):
<br><blockquote><em>Bethesda Softworks LLC, a ZeniMax Media company, today announced that The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion(tm) is currently in development for PC and future generation consoles. In development since 2002, Oblivion is another leap forward in role-playing with its combination of freeform gameplay and cutting-edge graphics. The world-exclusive details on Oblivion are featured in the October issue of Game Informer. Check out their mammoth 12-page cover story to get all the details and screenshots.
<br>
<br>Incidentally, the cover for this issue is up on <a href="http://www.elderscrolls.com" target="_blank">www.elderscrolls.com</a> if you want to check it out (And yes, that's in-game art on the cover). Subscribers will starting receiving their copy any day now and it'll be on newsstands Sept. 23.</em></blockquote>
<br>Now, due to the exclusivity of the deal with Game Informer, the amount of info on the official site is close to zero. With one exception: Pete released a <a href="http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3893" target="_blank">FAQ</a> about the marketing decision they made. The only real novelty on the official site is the cover for Game Informer, and if this is really in-game art, then you can expect mounts and an incredible eye candy. No word on the release date, but since Oblivion is announced for PS3 and XBox2 as well as for PC, I would make an educated guess and this would be "probably not before these two consoles are available".
<br>
<br>We here at RPGDot and MorrowindDot will follow the development of the game very closely and gather infos for you.
Post Fri Sep 10, 2004 4:40 pm

They say it`s in game art on the oficial site.
Post Fri Sep 10, 2004 4:40 pm

Okay, so Bethesda did an eight day countdown for, well, nothing really.
We are very pleased...NOT.
Post Fri Sep 10, 2004 5:17 pm

theçdagon

countdown to ... go buy a magazine to know more...

great

no screenshots, no word about it, no nothing...

I find it quite stupid to put the countdown to finally say nothing.

everybody already understood it was fot Elder scrolls 4, but one thought they will provide at least screenshots or infos.
Post Fri Sep 10, 2004 5:50 pm

Bethsoft doing the countdown thing for this was incredibly crass.
An announcement for an announcement for an announcement.
Post Fri Sep 10, 2004 6:22 pm

TheMadGamer
High Emperor
High Emperor

I don't know why this announcement is so bitterly received in this thread so far. The announcement itself is the news story. I'm perfectly happy to now know that, officially, TES IV is and has been in development.

Cheer up guys, don't be so negative.
Post Fri Sep 10, 2004 6:34 pm
Jadar
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Wow! Great PR...

for a magazine I've never heard of and will never see. I don't suppose I'll remember this BS in two years when the game may actually ship, so, what ever.
Post Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:21 pm
TwoBirds
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by TheMadGamer
I don't know why this announcement is so bitterly received in this thread so far. The announcement itself is the news story. I'm perfectly happy to now know that, officially, TES IV is and has been in development.

No kidding. Were you guys expecting a free blowjob?

I'm interested. The hints are cool. The scan of the cover is actual in-game art. TES4 makes me happy.
Post Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:32 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

quote:
Originally posted by TheMadGamer

I'll tell you the reason for the gloom: hype....
I would have expected Bethesda to know better after hiding the development of ES IV for two years, you'd think that they would come out with this news with a little more bang. But instead they simply drop a scan of a magazine cover? That's not a bang, it's a wet firecracker... I just hope they don't build up the hype around the game as much as that, or we're bound for some very undeserved disapointment.

But on the whole, I'm with you: happy to see that the game's been in production for some time! And I'm anxious to learn more about it!
Post Fri Sep 10, 2004 8:00 pm
TheMadGamer
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Ekim
I'll tell you the reason for the gloom: hype....

When it comes to quality gaming companies who have proved themselves based on their prior game releases, hype can actually be a fun thing because based on such a company's track record, they will most likely deliver something very close to what they claim in the pre-release hype. There have been some exceptions of course. But a game company such as Bethesda has earned my benefit of the doubt.

quote:
I would have expected Bethesda to know better after hiding the development of ES IV for two years, you'd think that they would come out with this news with a little more bang. But instead they simply drop a scan of a magazine cover?

I don't know what's worse. Developer hype or gamers' expectations. Based on your failed expectations regarding a proper announcement there is probably little hope that you will enjoy the actual game. Gamer Expectations. Somebody should write a paper on that.

quote:
I just hope they don't build up the hype around the game as much as that, or we're bound for some very undeserved disapointment.

There will be hype. That, plus your expectation, I can tell you right now that you will probably be dissapointed.

quote:
But on the whole, I'm with you: happy to see that the game's been in production for some time! And I'm anxious to learn more about it!

There ya go! And Congrats to your new little baby-gamer-girl! My boy turned 2 and I'm anxiously awaiting to corrupt him with my gaming addiction...
Post Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:00 pm
Destroth

I want my free blowjob. Damn you Bethsoft.
Post Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:15 pm

Elder Scrolls

Cool, another future rpg that looks interesting. I might have to pick up that game magazine for more info.
Post Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:20 pm

Slachkey
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Some of you guys are so f'ing jaded. GET OVER YOURSELVES!

I for one am stoked to hear about this. Since the game's well over a year away I don't care that they didn't post a bunch of information. We've got plenty of time to learn about what the game offers.

Bethesda is a bad ass gaming company. Keep up the great work!
Post Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:23 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

@MadGamer
Thank you, thank you

That being out of the way, maybe you misread my comment. I had no expectations regarding the "countdown" mentioned before. Heck, in all honesty I didn't even know there was a countdown to anything (partly because I'm too busy elsewhere, partly because I rarely give in to hype of any kind, from whoever). I was just pointing out why anyone would be disapointed by this though. And I understand anyone being a little peeved too. See, there is something worse than player expectations - though I'll allow you that expectations are often the bane of all game players... But sometimes player expectations are being built-up by developers/publishers.

Bethesda knows that players are expecting bits of news regarding TES4, and they played on that to heighten the expecation, only then to turn out a rather lame news post about an upcoming magazine article.... Sure, the article will be scanned by someone and freely available for everyone to read soon after it's published. Sure, soon enough the web will be flooded with a crap load of facts about the game. But I'm just saying that they played on it to hype something that didn't need to be hyped in the first place. Whatever's in that magazine's 12 page article will be hyped by players enough!

When I saw the newspost myself, I thought that I would get to see something. But there was nothing. Yeah, I'm a little disapointed. I'm still excited about the news, but seeing how they built it up, I was a bit suprised that I couldn't see anything.

And I might not be very sensitive to hype myself, but the majority of players out there get their expectations over-hyped, and they end up being disapointed by what they didn't get (yes, what they didn't get as opposed to what they did get - that's the problem with expectations). Games, especially those of the TES4 kind, don't need publishers and developers to build up the players' expectations, not years before release anyway. Wet their appetite, release info bit by bit, but don't bring out the fanfare for a magazine cover... That's like giving a bowl of water to a group of starving lions locked up in a small cage...
Post Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:34 pm
niteshade

Well it's sort of questionable weither you can say they can rest on the success of past games. Morrowind is the only game they made that most people would consider to be good, and even there many people say it was significantly flawed. Battle spire (or whatever it was called) was awful, Daggerfall was deeply flawed and generaly considered to be awful. Red Guard was mediocre at best. If anything their name brings to mind a company that has some good ideas but which usualy fail on execution.
Post Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:38 pm

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next